Audi Q3 Owners Forum banner
81 - 100 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
606 Posts
Just when you think the Great British Public couldn't get any more bloody stupid there's always a bunch of them ready to come along and prove how wrong you are. Just how dumb do they have to be not to realise that by chasing tankers (there's got to be some rhyming slang in there somewhere) and frantically topping up one gallon at a time they're actually perpetuating the self-inflicted problem?

Dungbrains. 💩🧠

EDIT: Just found this article in the Mail (other gossip-ridden rags are available) that makes it clearer exactly how it started. Allegedly.
Gromit reading The Mail?????? (other comics are available) :rolleyes: :D

·
Registered
407 Posts
Media generated BS. Lots of fuel tanker drivers on Twitter saying it's all made up rubbish. Same people queueing up to put two quid of fuel in their already almost full cars are the same buffoons who were panic buying bog rolls last year.

They'll be rationing the stuff if people don't start turning their TVs off and stop believing all the crap the papers print. This will be how they lock us down this winter. The Covid narrative is wearing off because everyone knows it's bovine excrement now so we'll be kept at home through not being able to go anywhere by car instead.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
All back to normal up here although Shell Premium is now at 137.9 per litre.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Still using the Mini in the deep south east to preserve the fuel in the RS as we will want a full tank next Friday. Still have the back up cans in the garage but things are supposed to be easing now. My god they are moronic down here.
Out again tonight so will check out a couple of garages on the way but it has been dire.

·
Super Moderator
6,360 Posts
Signs of returning (relative) sanity in Gromit's Retreat too - our nearest Esso station is now open again and while it's busier than normal there are no queues overflowing into the street. Yet... :cautious:

Reactions: TheJam

·
Registered
123 Posts
Interesting perspective in The Telegraph today. It would seem that the switch from E5 to E10 played a part in that garages had run down their tanks to facilitate the switch. Seems the average across the U.K. is normally 40% but at the time of the crisis beginning the average stocks were nearer to 30%. Sounds feasible enough……

Currently in Belgrade, Serbia. No shortages here…..

·
Registered
407 Posts
There's another view that states the drivers unions are trying to create the made up driver shortage so they can bring in cheap foreign labour and drive wages downwards. That Afghan immigrant will soon be drivimg a petrol tanker down your street with his camel dung cigarette hanging off his bottom lip...

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Tell that to the supermarkets and their customers. Anyone else noticed gaps on shelves?

·
Registered
407 Posts
Nope. I get free food from work anyway, so I'll only go hungry if the electric goes off and I don't have an oven!

·
Super Moderator
3,400 Posts
It's fairly simple really.

January 2020 Brexit kicks in - everything is working fine. 23rd March 2020 - lockdown. Businesses shut all over the UK, workers from Europe head home to take care of the families (natural). The rules where that they'd be able to apply to stay and carry on working as before are no longer relevant because they aren't here. Lockdown ends - oh look shortage of drivers, hotel and restaurant staff - all the lower paid/anti social hours jobs are suddenly unfilled vacancies.

Next will be rampant inflation, further fuelled by rocketing fuel prices (Gas, electricity and petrol/diesel) and of course import duty on everything else. The sting in the tail is with less competition from imports (cos its a huge pain in the rear for exporters to the UK to do the additional paperwork) home produced goods rise in price too.

Reactions: TheJam

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Came home at 9.30 last night, both garages open, one car in each but in a car with a virtually full tank so no point in stopping. Looking close to normal….at the moment.
We’ll wait until after the weekend to top the RS up then not really use it until we go away on Friday. We can easily get to the cottage on a tankful.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I see the switch to E10 is now being blamed as a major contributor to the 'fuel shortage'. See: 'Government’s switch to greener fuel was ‘major factor’ behind petrol crisis'

Not sure how long this article will be free access but seems to be right now.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #96 ·
Hmm not sure but Sainsbury's in our area has E10 displayed for months now.
Might be people who couldn't find fuel at their regular pumps must have dried out Sainsbury's as well in my area :D

·
Super Moderator
6,360 Posts
Morrisons just down the road in Gromit's Retreat had been entirely E10 since early August and was still one of the first to run out due to sheer demand. There are only two filling stations this side of the (walled) city and it's a sod to get across town to any of the others, so inevitably there's heavy demand for fuel at them both.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
From what I have seen, it is ‘up to’ E* as Esso say they have to (legally?) show Super at E5 even though for most of the UK , it is still E0.

So far our local E0 garages are still showing it as that but, as far as I know, they are determined to stay ethanol free for as long as possible. Unfortunately they don’t do super.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #99 ·
Although fuel situation has improved here.
But seems like I am not going anywhere for a good good time, last night broke my ankle from 3 places now need emergency surgery :unsure: oh well.....

Regards,
KJ

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Oh no!
Go on…tell us how.
Please say you were attempting a huge ice skating jump, not falling off a kerb.

I nearly broke my wrist tripping over a sleeping policeman in a car park (not a real one).
Very undramatic.

81 - 100 of 116 Posts