Audi Q3 Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I've had the Audi 10 months now and have my first fault. It only started today, a metallic rattle and knocking when going over bumps. I think I've tracked it down to the two fuel lines at the right side of the engine, coming from the fuel filter. They clip onto a plastic housing and appear to run under the driver's side sill (the noise is just behind the steering wheel/pedals and runs under the sill). The clips seems to have failed and I've tried to cable tie them and it's reduced the noise a little, bit it's still rattling away!!! I'm guessing there's more broken clips under the car/undertray. Has anyone had any similar problems? Or know of quick fixes? I've booked it in at our local independent, as it's due an MOT soon ( might as well get it done, even though I should be able to leave it till December). Any ideas? Thanks
Mark

·
Registered
633 Posts
Can’t help about the clips but I think either I or everyone else is confused about the MOT extension. When I checked my dates, the normal one came up. MOT places have been open for some time as well now so I don’t know if the extension still applies.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hi, the extension ends 1st August, or so I read. Anything before that date I think has the 6 months extension. After that things are back to normal. I think I read it on the Martin Lewis website, or something that popped up on Flipboard.

·
Super Moderator
5,653 Posts
Yes it does, but for some strange bureaucratic reason it doesn't show up as being extended until a few days before the MoT is due to expire. My car tax and MoT were both up for renewal at the end of June and when I went to renew the tax online about three weeks ago I was prevented as the MoT still showed an expiry of the end of June. However, the site said that it would be renewed automatically a few days prior to expiry and sure enough I tried again about a week before expiry only to find it had in fact been extended.

·
Registered
633 Posts
I did the Q3 last week and the Mini goes in tomorrow. I can’t be bothered to prat around, particularly with the elderly Mini as all cars still have to be roadworthy.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Depending on if the rattling is what I think, will dictate if I have the mot done or not. I'm having the brake pads changed and the cars just 5 years old and its last mot had no advisorys, so I'm not too worried. It'll be interesting to see if anyones had the same problem with the fuel lines.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Something similar was traced to the aircon pipes -

Cheers Spikes

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Interesting Spike, I don't think mines the Airton pipes. Its definitely coming from the drivers side of the bulk head, down under the floor to the rear of the car. I'll have a look in the morning.

·
Super Moderator
5,653 Posts
A rattle on the driver's side towards the rear of the car could be simply a loose wheelbrace that has moved fractionally in the tool roll and is contacting the bodywork. Open the compartment in the driver's side rear quarter panel from the boot area and you'll find the toolkit - just check nothing metal is touching the bodywork. You can guess how I found this out, can't you? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I thought something might be rattling in the boot, but its definitely the fuel lines. Thanks for the suggestion though, I'm going to check the Airton pipes later.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well my diagnosis of the noise was completely wrong. After nipping out shopping, I noticed a loud kicking noise when I turned sharply. Thought I'd better have a look at the front coil spring, and found the top of the coil snapped off and rattling and catching, sitting in the seat for the bottom of the spring. As its connected to both the body and chassis, it must to have made the noise/rattle come from lots of places. Just been to the local inde and he's ordering in a new front pair to be fitted next week.

·
Super Moderator
5,653 Posts
Ouch! Glad you've got it diagnosed. I hope it isn't too painful on the wallet!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Its not been done yet, I need to have a chat with the garage. The owner suggested aftermarket springs and i'll have them done as a pair. Depending on the price he can get the two fronts, will depend if I buy some h&r springs all round. Ive found i can get a set for £150, so if the inde can only get a pair for around £120, I might as well get the h&r's. Cheers

1 - 13 of 13 Posts