Audi Q3 Owners Forum banner

61 - 80 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
Hi, I've got a 62 registration TDI Q3 and the fuel cap was stuck last night - very embarrassing at the fuel pump! I tried everything from inserting the manual key to unlock the door, pushing the cap then double-clicking on the fob, driving forward, driving backwards, and resorted to pulling on the red manual release in the boot (really thought I was going to snap it!!) and nothing worked.
I spoke to the Audi garage and the guy suggested that I give the cap a sharp slap and it would open...and it did! I would say it was more like a palm strike than a slap - quick and sharp.
The warranty ran out in Dec (typical) but I'm getting the part replaced (not sure if they will charge me yet) but at least I have fuel now!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,184 Posts
Thats good to know. I wonder if this happens only up to a certain model year or affects all preFL Q3s?
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
5,881 Posts
Hi Cazza, welcome to the club.

The fuel flap issue is a known problem and the dealer is right to fix it even after expiry of warranty. I'm pleased they're doing so.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
Gromit said:
Hi Cazza, welcome to the club.

The fuel flap issue is a known problem and the dealer is right to fix it even after expiry of warranty. I'm pleased they're doing so.
They will fix it but still may charge him.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
5,881 Posts
I doubt it very much as it's only one month past warranty expiry. That would be a customer-losing stunt if ever I heard of one!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,912 Posts
Don't wait until they have given you the bill before arguing the odds.When booking it in, remind the garage that you are aware it's a known problem. Since the car is only just out of warranty (with a full Audi service history ?)youexpect the repair to be FOC and covered under a 'Good will' claim on Audi

Cheers Spike
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,704 Posts
Hi Cazza welcome, in response to the fuel cap issue my dealer is just fixing them didn't seem to be any issues its a known fault fixed. Hope yours treats you the same good luck.?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
29 Posts
Mine is a 13 registration and its stuck several times despite the dealer fixing it, I still have had one or two moments at the pump! I have also noticed sometimes its NOT locked when the car is!!!Solution - I have a small slither of wood in my glove box for an 'emergency' - it is thin enough to prize open the flap if/when it gets another sticky moment!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
Ironically the red pull string inside the boot which is designed to release stuck caps never seems to work according to a few posts I have read on here. My cap has been fixed but the drawstring still fails to operate.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,704 Posts
As you say Mike never ever heard of the red release actually working! Someone now come on and say different!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,413 Posts
Mike88 said:
Ironically the red pull string inside the boot which is designed to release stuck caps never seems to work according to a few posts I have read on here. My cap has been fixed but the drawstring still fails to operate.
I am sure the emergency release is to release the flap in event of a failure of the electronic lock, if the flap is unlocked (as it would be with the car unlocked) but the failure is in the small "top hat" mechanism then the emergency pull will not open the flap.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
Boxbrownie said:
Mike88 said:
Ironically the red pull string inside the boot which is designed to release stuck caps never seems to work according to a few posts I have read on here. My cap has been fixed but the drawstring still fails to operate.
I am sure the emergency release is to release the flap in event of a failure of the electronic lock, if the flap is unlocked (as it would be with the car unlocked) but the failure is in the small "top hat" mechanism then the emergency pull will not open the flap.
The flap didn't open when the fuel flap failed to operate. It doesn't work now it is repaired either but your explanation probably explains why. Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,413 Posts
Only had this happen once on my A6 12MY when it was very new, I opened the flap by just "poking" the flap at the latch end sharply with my finger a few times, it seemed to jiggle the top hat mechanism into un jamming, never happened again......then again only had the A6 for 8 months.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
81 Posts
The Q3 filler flap is garbage. Mine doesn't sit flush with the bodywork and feels like cheap bendy plastic. Even the hinge is cheap plastic. Every single car I've ever owned, even £100 bangers I had as a young man had perfect filler flaps.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,413 Posts
sunking101 said:
The Q3 filler flap is garbage. Mine doesn't sit flush with the bodywork and feels like cheap bendy plastic. Even the hinge is cheap plastic. Every single car I've ever owned, even £100 bangers I had as a young man had perfect filler flaps.
Hm I feel you may be running short of Christmas cheer a little early this year
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
757 Posts
Had mine replaced a while ago too. It's the inner part that is replaced - black plastic - probably warps if it gets any sun.Can't stand the heat!
From YouTube videos of other, similar VW group cars (not Q3), it seems to be 'clipped' into the bodywork.Happy Christmas to all.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
235 Posts
Ripped my pull cable out attempting to open my filler, it finally opens when I locked then unlocked car then sprung open as it should on the touch.
Since been replace foc at bury st Edmunds Audi.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,413 Posts
Rotac60 said:
Ripped my pull cable out attempting to open my filler, it finally opens when I locked then unlocked car then sprung open as it should on the touch.
Since been replace foc at bury st Edmunds Audi.
The pull cord is ONLY for opening the fuel flap when the Central Locking has failed (flat battery etc) not for when the flap latch is jammed/stuck, the "top hat" latch sticks and no amount of pulling the cord will fix it just damage the cord.

If the flap fails to open and the central locking operates as normal then the only way you might open it is to "jiggle" the lid to unstick the latch or repeatedly operate the central locking and hope the latch releases.

It's not rocket science, it's just a cheap material specification, had the latch been made of a better self lubricating material it would work every time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
68 Posts
Vehicle now 5 years old so well outside warranty.

Fuel cover fault started a few weeks ago and I dreaded the price to fix at Cheshire oaks Audi.

To my suprise the work was completed free of charge when I booked it in for a MOT today.

Well done to them, great customer service.
 
61 - 80 of 90 Posts
Top