Audi Q3 Owners Forum banner

41 - 60 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
As per oakey46 :-
"Yes, the solution is quite simple. Just put a little grease or similar (Vaseline maybe) on, or where the two very small plastic lugs at the top and bottom of the filler flap meet the recess. I had a similar problem, referred it to the dealer who said this is a common issue and easily fixed. That worked for me and hope it does for you. Overall, the fuel filler flap is a piece of hapless engineering!"

I greased mine as above and have had no issuesfor 3 years so far.

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
With the emergency release tag I am not sure that when you pull it, it actually opens the flap, I think it will just release the lock so you still have to push the flap to open it, or at least that was my understanding.
Can anyone confirm?

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
jima said:
"Yes, the solution is quite simple. Just put a little grease or similar (Vaseline maybe) on, or where the two very small plastic lugs at the top and bottom of the filler flap meet the recess. I had a similar problem, referred it to the dealer who said this is a common issue and easily fixed. That worked for me and hope it does for you. Overall, the fuel filler flap is a piece of hapless engineering!"

Grease is not necessarily the answer. if you refer to earlier posts you will see this is a common fault and there is an Audi Technical Bulletin to remedy it.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Perhaps Q3 owners should carry a tin opener in tool kit for emergencies

·
Registered
757 Posts
Mike88 said:
jima said:

Grease is not necessarily the answer. if you refer to earlier posts you will see this is a common fault and there is an Audi Technical Bulletin to remedy it.
Caution - Better not to use grease on anything with plastic or rubber (especially rubber) as it can do more harm than good. Use vaseline or a silicon spray, such as you can buy from Halfords (their own brand is cheap and as good as anything else).

·
Registered
4 Posts
All very helpful but if I could open the flap to grease it I wouldn't have a problem! Off to the Dealer in the morning.

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
As the risk of being a little obvious! As soon as the fix is done by the dealer get out the Vaseline and lubricate the relevant parts even if only for insurance. Well that's what I did and to date no further problem.

·
Registered
595 Posts
BB - Vaseline.......no I am NOT breaking my new year resolution !!

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
Hey, what you use your Vaseline for is your business.........you know is ruins rubber and latex don't you?
Don't ask how I know

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
We know how you know Gromit told us! But how did he know.? Anna?

·
Super Moderator
5,881 Posts
Oy, leave Bb alone, will you? How was he to know the goat was allergic to latex?

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
No I won't be enticed to reply.?

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
It was very dark.............besides David got the best looker

·
Registered
6 Posts
My fuel flap seems to be sticking (but only from time to time) will I have any problems with the local audi dealer replacing this for free?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Mine was still in warranty so they replaced the mechanism with the minimum of fuss. Funnily enough the part was in stock, makes you wonder!

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
I was told it was known fault! Fix no problem.

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
Yorky said:
I was told it was known fault! Fix no problem.
It is...
I had the same issue on my A6 Hybrid, but it sort of cured itself before I traded in for the Q3, the Q3 I assume has a later mechanism as mine has been fine (Dec 2014)

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
It is a known fault and there is a Technical Service Bulletin to deal with it. However, as the fault is so common Audi should recall all cars prior to the date the fix was built into production instead of hoping the fault won't occur until warranties have expired.

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
Very good point with my luck my will go t...s the day after the warranty ends.

41 - 60 of 90 Posts