Audi Q3 Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought this subject had been covered before but the search function failed to find other posts.
I pulled into a fuel station late last night and and had an almighty job getting the filler cap to open. Eventually I managed but it took around 5 minutes of pressing and pushing to get it to open. I thought I had read there was a release in the boot where the jack is kept but it was pitch black so couldn't find it.
The plunger is well lubricated so what exactly is the problem? Is there a modification or fix or should I worry every time I arrive at the fuel forecourt?

·
Registered
757 Posts
Yes, the solution is quite simple. Just put a little grease or similar (Vaseline maybe) on, or where the two very small plastic lugs at the top and bottom of the filler flap meet the recess. I had a similar problem, referred it to the dealer who said this is a common issue and easily fixed. That worked for me and hope it does for you. Overall, the fuel filler flap is a piece of hapless engineering!

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I read somewhere that there was a release inside the boot. I have accessed the area where the jack is kept but cannot see anything that resembles a release. Had more trouble today getting the flap to open. I have greased it and it works but I have no confidence in the mechanism and would like to know if there is a fail safe alternative.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Audi replaced mine last week foc. Release is a red plastic pull which should be clipped to trim alongside the jack/tools.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
IanCropper said:
Audi replaced mine last week foc. Release is a red plastic pull which should be clipped to trim alongside the jack/tools.
Thanks very much for that. I have found the red plastic pull; tugged it to the point when it was likely to snap and nothing. Looks like a trip to the dealers.
Edited by: Mike88

·
Registered
155 Posts
Its a known fault on there A1 and Q3, I had mine sorted under warranty at the dealers, suggests you get it back there as soon as possible, WD40 pn the plunger did help in the short term.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Had my filler cap mechanism replaced by the dealer FOC also. That was about two years ago and no problems since. Suggest anyone who has had problems gets their dealer to fit the replacement part.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I've put some door grease on the lugs, seems to have helped but I will be asking for a replacement when the car goes in for a service. This cold weather does seem to have made it worse.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thetaffia said:
I've put some door grease on the lugs, seems to have helped but I will be asking for a replacement when the car goes in for a service. This cold weather does seem to have made it worse.
I've done the same and it has helped but what is bothering me is that the red plastic pull thing inside the boot doesn't work meaning I could be a couple of hundred miles from home and unable to fill up with diesel. I'll be speaking with the dealer later in the week.

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
What lugs are we talking about, today I looked at my filler flap and see the locking "stem" which swiels and locks the flap shut, but everything else is virtually flush with the flap, no lugs I can see that engage with anything at all....I am puzzled, although it doesn't take a lot!

·
Registered
230 Posts
Look at the very stop of the locking mechanism, it's almost like a T. The top of the T engages into the hole in the bit of plastic on the inside of the fuel cap. Pushing the fuel cap into the body should allow the T to rotate and it disengages. It seems however that those T lugs are being held in place by too much friction. An application of grease onto the T and into the plastic helps reduce the fraction and allow the lugs to disengage. Hopefully, fingers and legs crossed, but I'm going to fill up well before a quarter of a tank is reached.

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
Ahh I understand now, its the T section that are the lugs......yes indeed they are the bits that cause the problem, mine are bone dry......and I will endeavor to keep them dry and clean (as designed I would guess) but I fear after a few thousand miles they will accumulate road dirt and become a problem, then I will act.
I am a bit worried about lubricating them just in case it hastens the accumulation of [email protected]o, half a dozen of one etc etc?????

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
My filler flap sits proud of the bodywork and looks unlocked, has been like this since day one.

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
That doesn't sound correct, should be flush or at least within a millimetre or so........

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Mine worked last thing yesterday night but won't work again today despite greasing. I've tried for a good 10 minutes to get the thing to open and the red plastic pull strip in the boot simply doesn't work. Booked into Audi on Thursday. Fortunately I have a tankful of diesel.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Yeah it doesn't look the best but i have just lived with it. I can't bear a trip to the dealers for it to look worse afterwards.
I put pictures on here years ago of it but it can self heal then pop back out from time to time.
And my flaps are well greased up btw!

·
Registered
654 Posts
reilsab said:
And my flaps are well greased up btw!
Gromit! Where are the moderators when we need them? I think that Anna's hacked into this account

·
Super Moderator
5,877 Posts
Uh....wha....someone call? Strewth, a guy can't even have a kip without someone yelling in his ear'ole. Now then....

Nah, hacking into here would require more than her share of brain-cells. I could tell by the way her eyes lit up when I shone a torch in her ear that she lacks the necessary.

...she does like a pair of well-greased flaps though - just ask BoxBrownie.

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
I am saying nothing..........................nothing at all........................oh the temptation

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Can a man not discuss his flaps on a public forum no more....
This place has changed, i blame the mods personally

1 - 20 of 90 Posts