Audi Q3 Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks, I'm looking for people's honest opinions? I'm about to purchase a q3, originally I was looking at the 2.0tdi se. I have seen that on the Internet the average mpg for this model is 40mpg? Is this accurate and correct? I don't really want to buy the q3 and it be less than 40mpg, I will do the odd occasional motorway run and do dual carriage way runs jus a little more I would say. If anyone could state the average mpg for this model I'd b grateful.

·
Registered
518 Posts
I have the 2.0 Tdi 177hp SE Stronic, and live just on the edges of London. Average consumption has been around 40-42mpg. If I drive in central London, I get around 35mpg, but that is the exception. On the motorway I get about 45-48mpg. Unless you are particularly heavy footed, you would struggle to average below 40mpg.You will love the Q3.Also, you might find this link useful (you may already know it)http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/realmpg/audi/q3-2011

·
Registered
613 Posts
I can bore you to death with my Q3 fuel economy - the 2WD 140hp model just sips!
30 litres gives me 350+ miles - my daily commute is 40 miles return journey, all cross-country decent roads, but I do around 30k miles per year including long motorway journeys of 200 miles plus - and economy has been up to 64 on a good run!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Getting 40mpg just daily use easy ,best yet 60.4mpg on a long run .

·
Registered
275 Posts
Hi Adam Leah, my right foot seems to want to hit the floor and I averaged 37.5 mpg over around 1600 miles that I logged, however I can get up to 60 mpg on a run depending on inclines eg m42 northbound really economic going south loses about 10 mpg.

Had a couple good run recently due to 10 miles average speed check on m6 of 50 mph and an average speed check of 40mph on te 8 miles from m1 into Nottingham.

Personally I think it can be very economical but it depends on you as a driver.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
On average if I'm at work on day shift I do 2.5 miles there an back, night shift I do the same but also take my partner to work which averages 4miles there and back. Plus a trip up to my partners on the evenings. When I'm off work I'd do the pickin up trip twice. Suppose I'm askin really if I'm clockin 20miles everyday? Not including dual carriage or motorway. That maybe odd occasional weekends or even time off. Many thanks

·
Registered
412 Posts
Adam

To be honest, for the type of motoring you do, primarily short runs and low annual mileage, a Diesel is not really the right choice and if you explain this to your dealer, he should say the same.
Diesels take longer to warm up than petrols and they are fitted with a Diesel Particulate FIlter (DPF) which will eventually clog up unless the car is given a good long high speed thrash on a regular basis to clear it out. A clogged filter will illuminate engine warning lights and can result in costly visits to the dealer. Just Google DPF problems and you should see plenty about it.
Diesels are notorious for poor consumption in really cold weather because of their warm up times, but winter or summer, you'll be lucky to see mid 30s with the type of driving you do, whether you get a DIesel or Petrol Q3.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I agree with the above. I looked at the diesel but I tend to do mostly short runs and Audi recommended the petrol one for me. I read up about the DPF's on a diesel and decided that petrol was the one to go for. I have had the car over a year and I am still very happy with my choice

·
Registered
275 Posts
I also agree with the two comments above for an annual mileage of about 7200 like you are talking about, petrol is the way, cheaper to purchase the car, tax the car and per litre of fuel.

Today I taxied my daughter about and did about 25 miles, probably 18 miles was on duel carriageway at 60 mpg, but start stop with lights and the computer gave me a 41mpg, I think slower roads would hinder this further.

Petrol is a defo

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
I don't think you can get the petrol in 2WD so you can get the cheapest diesel for about £1500 less than the cheapest petrol, unless you plan on keeping it for ages then DPF worries won't matter. I only do about 5K a year although it's all longer motorway trips and i don't do much town driving, there wasn't much price difference between the petrol and diesel except the petrol is more powerful.
I've had diesel's with dpf's for the past 7 or so years and never had an issue, i do know of some people who take them 2 miles here and there. Ouch that can't be good long term!

·
Registered
518 Posts
I have had a diesel Q3 for the past year or so, with the vast majority of the trips being short ones of less than 10 miles (mostly 2-5 miles) at urban speeds. Have never had a problem with the DPF. In total about 10k miles a year

·
Registered
613 Posts
I must admit to being slightly disappointed that I didn't get to 700 miles on my last full tank... Maybe next time!

·
Registered
518 Posts
Driving around central London in average traffic returns about 35mpg, according to the driver information display. For example, leaving central London during the rush hour and going to my home in the suburbs gets me the 35mpg mentioned earlier.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi Folks
Can't make up my mind whether to go for petrol or diesel. Leaning to petrol as I only do about 7000 miles a year with a lot of short journeys, however a bit concerned about fuel consumption. Most quotes in the forum are about diesel mpg. Would appreciate some facts and figures fromTFsi owners. Have test driven the 140ps diesel and never having owned a diesel before was quite impressed by its pulling power

·
Registered
613 Posts
The diesel has a lot of useful power - but it's a definite different driving technique... for such a low mileage Petrol is probably worth considering.

·
Registered
518 Posts
I don't agree. The petrol/diesel issue is not as simple as the break-even annual mileage. Resale value is far more significant. A diesel car will hold its value far better than a petrol equivalent, gives better pulling power, requires less maintenance (no spark plugs to replace etc).

My annual mileage is about 8000 a year, but I would never contemplate buying a petrol car again

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had the exact same dilemma when purchasing my Q3 - it was between the 2WD Diesel or the Quattro TFSI (with the increased price). I eventually went for the TFSI after I wrote to Honest John, who regularly writes for The Daily Telegraph, and has written a lot about DPF issues. My understanding is that Audi (and the VW group in general) don't have the best record when it comes to DPF issues, in contrast to BMW or Mazda. Here's what I asked, and the reply:
I'm on the cusp of purchasing an Audi Q3 2.0 TDI 140ps (front-wheel drive) but am concerned about potential DPF issues, as I will do less than 10,000 miles a year, with a long dual-carriage way run only approximately every 2-3 weeks or so. Would I be better off getting the petrol version, even though this is about £1000 more expensive (it only comes in Quattro configuration)? Many thanks.

Reply From: [email protected]

===========

If you will repeatedly be doing short journeys of less than 5 miles then yes.

Honest John</pre>

·
Registered
412 Posts
Hi Brainstorm.
I'm fortunate enough be driving a 211 bhp petrol SLine. Consumption wise, I've been pleasantly surprised so far. On a couple of long runs earlier this year, I managed around the 37 mpg mark. That was for mainly motorway driving but involved a period on the M25 in rush hour traffic. General running around I'm getting around 33 mpg quite consistently. Unfortunately it's now dropped just below the 30 mark with the colder weather. I've only got about 4.5k miles on the clock, so I'm guessing it may improve a bit with a few more miles. I don't drive like Vicar either, it's very difficult to with 211 bhp on tap.

I bought the petrol mainly because of low annual mileage and a majority of shorter runs, but in general I prefer driving a petrol. I find them smoother and quieter and they have a much longer power band than a diesel. With the average 7p a litre difference at the pumps, the gap in running costs is reduced as well. The DPF issue was also a factor in my decision.

I agree a diesel will probably hold its value a bit better if comparing new cars, but took advantage of that and I bought nearly new (4 months old and 2.5k miles) with such a big reduction on new price, that it took care of the first years depreciation.

See if you can find a dealer with a petrol Q3 and have a drive, might help make your mind up on way or another. Either way, a great car
Edited by: Malph

·
Registered
613 Posts
I haven't owned a Petrol car for quite a while - given that my driving mileage is high - but my wife has a Petrol Mercedes used for low mileage/summer drives - and the driving sensation is very different - as Malph says, the power-band for overtakes etc, and they are so much smoother.

I know a couple of colleagues with diesels that have had DPF problems (A Vauxhall Astra, and a Chrysler 300c) - both were generally low mileage drivers, so I would always worry about the DPF - especially as the diesel takes 5 miles plus to reach operating temperature. That said, I don't recall reading about any Q3 DPF issues as yet?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts