Audi Q3 Owners Forum banner
21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Dinkum - we are both on exactly the same wavelength. Thanks goodness I've managed to back my dud and have a Q5 on its way ;)

·
Registered
103 Posts
Guys, regarding mirrors and screen operation, surely you knew what you were buying.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I would not order one now I know it doesn't have these features but in my posts/case it was my Dad that ordered one and in the brochure it does not actually say if the mirrors are auto folding or not. I know you shouldn't assume but I think at the time he did and also I believe the way they describe the mirrors in the Q3 brochure is exactly the same as they way they describe them in the A5 one. I queried if the A5 Sportback ones auto fold (which they do on my mates Coupe) and the sales manager said yes but agreed it could be worded better. I just hope they do on the A5 when I get it!
I think what a lot of people are saying and rightly so is that they should be on this type of car, regardless of whether they knew or not. Also, yes, no car is perfect, my S3 doesn't have this option and you can't have electric memory seats either but at the time of me ordering it (3 years ago) there weren't many other options and I could live without the seats and while was a bit miffed about the mirrors I just use the knob all the time and have got used to it.
Unfortunately ATM the only other 'premium' option in this segment really is the Range Rover Epuke...oops Evoque and while the interior is quite nice don't like the exterior and a friend has one and gets no where near the claimed mpg and I have heard this elsewhere too.
As I said my Dad is happy overall with his Q3 and he has got a very good spec. just a shame these weren't on the car. I like it as well, it is so much easier to get my sons car seat in compared to his C-class and I am sure once we get the ice and snow it will come into it's own and he will be glad he got quattro!!

·
Registered
201 Posts
I agree that there should be an option to enable auto folding of the mirrors on the Q3, for the function not to be there is just odd, it costs little to nothing to implement and seems to be across the Audi range now.

Having said that I've grown used to rotating the switch to fold them, it would be great to have this updated in the future though.

What irritates me more is that it is not possible to change the bias of the headlights to enable me to drive on the continent. In order to be legal I have to go to a dealer and pay to have my lights changed from left to right bias and then go to the dealer to have them changed back again when I come back. Aside from the cost, and I know that it's a simple plug and play change that I should be able to do myself and can on other cars, it means two trips to a dealer to sort out. I value my time more than that these days especially when I know that the option to switch bias could be easily coded in to enable the driver to change it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Dinkum said:
Hazzy Days (vwcruise) retrofitted my cruise control for me in July last year. The cost was £295+VAT. Works a treat and work is guaranteed by Audi. It took them about 45 minutes, whereas Audi had quoted me 3 hours of labour plus parts to fit it. About £500 if I recall.

They could not get the mirrors to fold on lock/unlock. I have had someone else look at it as I found the coding for doing it on the A1, but it doesn't work and the options just don't exist. I've asked two different dealers if they could do it, and both have come back with a no for all levels.

I've given up on finding a way now. Hopefully Audi will add it in the future, but I'm doubtful. I wrote to Audi about it months ago, but they didn't even bother acknowledging my letter.
Hi Dinkum,I have emailed Gareth at Hazzy Dayz again as it was August when I first asked and he has replied and said he can get the mirrors to auto fold. I am hoping this is the case and he has had a 'development' since you saw them about it.Also I did pm a guy on another forum who is very knowledgeable on all things Audi and he said that it should be possible with VAGCOM by logging in to the mmi module & see if any long coding allows this to be shown, if not then engineering mode. Not sure if anyone has access to try this but I don't hence would use someone like Hazzy Days to do this. I am considering buying the cable & software as it may be handy when I get my A5 but not sure at the moment.Cheers,Nick

·
Registered
563 Posts
CLARKE09 said:
Dinkum said:
Hazzy Days (vwcruise) retrofitted my cruise control for me in July last year. The cost was £295+VAT. Works a treat and work is guaranteed by Audi. It took them about 45 minutes, whereas Audi had quoted me 3 hours of labour plus parts to fit it. About £500 if I recall.

They could not get the mirrors to fold on lock/unlock. I have had someone else look at it as I found the coding for doing it on the A1, but it doesn't work and the options just don't exist. I've asked two different dealers if they could do it, and both have come back with a no for all levels.

I've given up on finding a way now. Hopefully Audi will add it in the future, but I'm doubtful. I wrote to Audi about it months ago, but they didn't even bother acknowledging my letter.
Hi Dinkum,I have emailed Gareth at Hazzy Dayz again as it was August when I first asked and he has replied and said he can get the mirrors to auto fold. I am hoping this is the case and he has had a 'development' since you saw them about it.Also I did pm a guy on another forum who is very knowledgeable on all things Audi and he said that it should be possible with VAGCOM by logging in to the mmi module & see if any long coding allows this to be shown, if not then engineering mode. Not sure if anyone has access to try this but I don't hence would use someone like Hazzy Days to do this. I am considering buying the cable & software as it may be handy when I get my A5 but not sure at the moment.Cheers,Nick
I personally think it is possible to enable auto folding mirrors with the right knowledge.VAGCOM is a good if expensive piece of software, but be aware it is not easy to use and it is possible to brick your car if you don't know what you are doing

·
Registered
140 Posts
Hi Dinkum
Re being able to see a clock. Are you aware that you can display a clock in the DIS?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Mark67 said:
Are you aware that you can display a clock in the DIS?
How? I am aware of the date display in the DIS if you scroll through the computer options that show the mpg, avg speed, etc, but never seen the time displayed in the DIS.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Hi. Use either arrow button on the left side of the steering wheel to scroll to the car icon (car functions tab). Then press the menu button on the steering wheel to the right of the 'ok' wheel. Select 'computer' and click OK. You should then have the clock in the top section of the DIS and can scroll through date, miles in tank, journey duration, Ave MPG etc in the section below.
I hope that makes sense as I've sat in the car to write this :)

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
I have the digital speedo on, i can only see the date, mpg etc etc and not the time with the dig speedo on

·
Registered
140 Posts
Yep sadly the clock can not be displayed in all views. Perhaps Reilsab if you are using the digital speedo you could just stick a big clock over the analogue speedo

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Great idea Mark but should i spend £1.99 on an ebay clock or is there a £100 Audi approved one

Might get more traffic through the site due to over use of the word speedo!!

·
Registered
140 Posts
And would you believe it. If you Google (other search engines are freely available) 'Audi clock' a huge number appear, I'm sure one will fit

·
Registered
111 Posts
reilsab said:
Great idea Mark but should i spend £1.99 on an ebay clock or is there a £100 Audi approved one

I just check the time displayed on the MMI - no need for a clock!

·
Registered
264 Posts
KEW said:
reilsab said:

I just check the time displayed on the MMI - no need for a clock!
same here

·
Registered
140 Posts
Ha Haa. Looks like we've gone full circle with this one. My reply was for Dinkum's benefit who did not like having to raise the MMI screen each time to see a clock and the buying the clock thing was a complete joke

·
Registered
518 Posts
Ditto, the time is displayed on the MMI screen, and I tend to use this the whole time as the driver information display invariably has something on it other than the trip computer with clock.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
I keep forgetting about the clock on the MMI screen, it's my first day

Now if you can make the digital speedo "click" knight rider style you'll make my day
Members from the 80's will know what I mean.

21 - 40 of 53 Posts