Audi Q3 Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone please provide me the definitive answer to the automatic folding door mirrors saga.

Can I ask dealer before I collect that I want them to operate to open on ignition and fold back when locking? Or do I have to lift my finger (God forbid!) and press a button

·
Registered
111 Posts
Sorry but it looks like you will be operating them by turning a button! That's how mine work.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yes it is switch only. The main downside for me, apart from when I forget, is that parking on busy streets cars, cyclists and pedestrians can suddenly get in range while the mirrors are folding meaning that doors have to be opened with extra care.

A disadvantage with mirrors that automatically fold back on ignition is that you can be speeding along in difficult traffic before you realise that it was your wife who last drove the car and those mirrors are now set entirely wrong for you (me)....

·
Registered
12 Posts
Well it can be modified as in this video - how I do not know. I wrote the email in the description of the video, but the answer looked like something from Google translate (hard to understand english).[TUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-6Hd1YQ73I[/TUBE]

·
Registered
14 Posts
Although I can't get them to fold on locking which is what I wanted, I do think the automatic dipping of the mirrors on reversing is very useful.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mmmmm, still inconclusive

Are you able to post his reply Tomas? Perhaps I can configure it!
I have spoken to an Audi technician at Hatfield Audi UK and he has done a bit of research and doesn' think it can be done...

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have just bought a second hand Q3 S-Line which does not have folding door mirrors. Is it possible to have them modified to be electrically operated now ?Also, the car does nt have cruise control, can this be fitted now once the car is used ?

·
Registered
563 Posts

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
I was offered a stock car in the showroom but no cruise. Dealer told me it would be £400 to retrofit it, decided to just order a new one with the spec i wanted tho.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Hi Alan
I bought a demo Q3 and had cruise control retrofitted without charge as part of the deal. This was in the UK. I think the cost of a retro fit is a few hundred pounds but it seems that if you bargain hard enough you might get it at a sensible cost, or even no cost.

·
Registered
563 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I see these Hazzy Dayz guys do the auto folding mirrors on locking for A1 so would assume they can sort out Q3.
Will give them a bell once I actually take delivery. Brucie bonus is that they're only 15 mins away :)
Good luck with the cruise control...

·
Registered
10 Posts
SteveW said:
I see these Hazzy Dayz guys do the auto folding mirrors on locking for A1 so would assume they can sort out Q3.
Will give them a bell once I actually take delivery. Brucie bonus is that they're only 15 mins away :)
Good luck with the cruise control...
Hi Steve,
Did you contact Hazzy Dayz about the mirrors and if so did you get anywhere? I was actually in contact with Gareth there about this issue about 6 months ago to try and do it on my Dads car and in theory he thought it would work but my old man has been too busy to go down and quite a trek from here too.
Cheers,Nick

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi Nick,

I had a bit of a mare with the Q3 (see a post from me in the main forum) and although I've got the car right now, a Q5 is in the queue at the factory. Thus, I've not been over to Happy Dayz as I'll live with manually doing the door mirrors.

Still a bloody stupid idea, there is no excuse for not having an option to turn an automatic function on through the mmi (like then Q5 and the majority of models). This was one of many of my small gripes about the car and I've had a result in getting a dud as it has led fo getting the Q5 (S line plus with automatic door mirrors;)) for not much more than my Q3.

If everyone gets onto Audi UK about this, perhaps a software update could allow an MMI option? A well written email to the right people and hey presto ;)

Hope you get it sorted.

Cheers,

Steve

·
Registered
59 Posts
Hazzy Days (vwcruise) retrofitted my cruise control for me in July last year. The cost was £295+VAT. Works a treat and work is guaranteed by Audi. It took them about 45 minutes, whereas Audi had quoted me 3 hours of labour plus parts to fit it. About £500 if I recall.

They could not get the mirrors to fold on lock/unlock. I have had someone else look at it as I found the coding for doing it on the A1, but it doesn't work and the options just don't exist. I've asked two different dealers if they could do it, and both have come back with a no for all levels.

I've given up on finding a way now. Hopefully Audi will add it in the future, but I'm doubtful. I wrote to Audi about it months ago, but they didn't even bother acknowledging my letter.

·
Registered
10 Posts
SteveW said:
Hi Nick,

I had a bit of a mare with the Q3 (see a post from me in the main forum) and although I've got the car right now, a Q5 is in the queue at the factory. Thus, I've not been over to Happy Dayz as I'll live with manually doing the door mirrors.

Still a bloody stupid idea, there is no excuse for not having an option to turn an automatic function on through the mmi (like then Q5 and the majority of models). This was one of many of my small gripes about the car and I've had a result in getting a dud as it has led fo getting the Q5 (S line plus with automatic door mirrors;)) for not much more than my Q3.

If everyone gets onto Audi UK about this, perhaps a software update could allow an MMI option? A well written email to the right people and hey presto ;)

Hope you get it sorted.

Cheers,

Steve
Thanks Steve, I will have a look at your other post but sorry to hear you had a dud.
I also can't believe it is not standard on a car costing 30k plus and my Dad is pretty annoyed by it.He really likes his Q3 but this is a pain in the arse.
I feel that if you add the sat nav as an option the screen should auto fold as well as that would be a gripe for me.
I like the Q3 as well but with these 2 things missing and no 3.0Tdi available I decided to order an A5 which should have the auto folding mirrors and has the 3.0 engine.
I know overall my Dad is happy with it because he wanted a 4WD car but nothing too big and the Q3 seemed to fit and he is easily getting over 42mpg from the 177 diesel so about 8 more than his previous merc and with lower emissions it is proving cheaper to run.
Hope you enjoy your Q5 and it is better than the 3.

Cheers,Nick

·
Registered
10 Posts
Dinkum said:
Hazzy Days (vwcruise) retrofitted my cruise control for me in July last year. The cost was £295+VAT. Works a treat and work is guaranteed by Audi. It took them about 45 minutes, whereas Audi had quoted me 3 hours of labour plus parts to fit it. About £500 if I recall.

They could not get the mirrors to fold on lock/unlock. I have had someone else look at it as I found the coding for doing it on the A1, but it doesn't work and the options just don't exist. I've asked two different dealers if they could do it, and both have come back with a no for all levels.

I've given up on finding a way now. Hopefully Audi will add it in the future, but I'm doubtful. I wrote to Audi about it months ago, but they didn't even bother acknowledging my letter.
Thanks for the info. and that is a shame, I had some work done on my S3 by Hazzy Days a couple of years ago and they are very good. Gareth is really helpful too.It is a shame they couldn't get the mirrors to auto fold, I found the coding for the A1 as well and I believe it shares the same parts as the Q3 so was hoping (for my Dad's sake) it would work.
Oh well I will have to hope he forgets it for now and will have to make do with manually turning the knob.
I still don't understand why these features are missing or not even an option because a lot of other marques and cheaper models do it! Even my wifes 2007 307 has auto folding mirrors!!
As I said above though it is a nice car and my Dad likes it too, but these missing make it bloody annoying!

·
Registered
59 Posts
CLARKE09 said:
these missing make it bloody annoying!
It is amazing how these little annoyances can put you off a car. If I had known that I would have to turn a button to fold the mirrors, I would have left it off as an option. Then I could have folded the mirrors in by hand. Now I can't and always have to remember to turn the button if I want the mirrors folded.

·
Registered
59 Posts
CLARKE09 said:
I feel that if you add the sat nav as an option the screen should auto fold as well as that would be a gripe for me.
I feel the same about having to put the screen up and down all the time. It is also the only place that indicates the time in the car. So it has to be on and up. If you switch the radio off, there is no time display in the car anywhere. It also shows finger prints quite quickly which is unavoidable when you have to pack it away all the time.

I am hoping that in time, the screen will get the same treatment as the new A3. The new slide in / slide out screen is a really nice touch and is the kind of accessory that I've come to expect from Audi. Pity is it lacking on the Q3. Maybe the new Q2 will have it.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts