Audi Q3 Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I´m getting my Q3 in a week or so. :)
I´m looking forward to fitting 20" wheels. A friend of mine is selling his 20"7-V-spoke two-piece'design alloy wheel, with high-glossturned rim flange (Audi original Wheels).
He has them on his Q5, I´m planning to fit them in my Q3.
Issues:1. I have read the wheel center bore diameter is bigger on the Q5 than in the Q3. I have read there are some "adapters" for fixing this. Anyone has any experience using them? Are they safe? Any comments con that?
2. The tire on these wheels is 255/45. I have seen people (on this forum and other places) using 255/35 for 20" wheels fitting perfectly. However I continued browsing and I came across this accessory catalog:
http://www.audi.co.uk/content/dam/audi/production/PDF/PriceAndSpecGuides/AccessoriesGuides/q3-accessories-guide.pdf
On pages 6 and 7, they feature the same wheels and the description reads:
20” x 8.5J ‘7-V-spoke two-piece' design alloy wheel, with high-gloss turned rim flange. Excludes tyres, size required255/45 R20 (price shown is for single wheel only). Only available in combination with wheel arch trims.
Has anyone had any experience fitting 255/45-20 on the Q3?

·
Registered
29 Posts
In order to maintain the rolling diameter you will need 255/35 on a 20" wheel. 255/45 will throw your speedometer out by 7.4%, which is a massive percentage error. Theoretically a 255/35R20 tyre has the same rolling diameter as 255/40R19 (which is the stock tyre fitted to the Q3 with 19" wheels).

That brochure is definitely a misprint, unless you Brits get fatter tyres fitted standard compared to us Aussies?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Use the calculator at the bottom of this page to find the correct size tyres.

http://www.carbibles.com/tyre_bible_pg4.html

Sline standard tyres are 235/50/18 so the 255/35/20 would work for been the same rolling circumference, but you still would have to check for clearance on the width, especially if the wheel offset is different to standard.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts