21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,642 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Thanks Simon - seemed like a pretty balanced review, no evidence of synthetic exhaust noise either. Noted that it lacks the 'full fat Quattro' setup of the bigger Audi vehicles or the SportDiff - fair enough, it's Haldex based. Will be interesting to see if the initial depreciation hit is as savage as it was on it's predecessor - will be in low £40k territory in 6 months I expect.
Henry isn't a big fan of crossovers/SUVs anyway. His review of the Stelvio QF was similar, sort of good car, but not as good as a lower to the ground one.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I think one has to judge a car for what it is and not what one's ideal car is. Otherwise pure offroads they'd be terrible awful pieces of garbage... and it's not like that. If you have ever rode a proper full off like a Range you know how good that is... and different than a normal car or a Q3, a Stelvio, but still wonderful.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Had a sit in a new RS yesterday at a car meet. Interior was very disappointing with only the seats and steering wheel differentiating it from a standard Q3. No smart carbon bits like the old one and very plasticky.

·
Registered
413 Posts
If I recall correctly the difference in the old model seats (up to MY2016) was the badge (compared to full leather S-line seats) . Now the whole seat has a different sporty shape with integrated headrest and special Alcantara trims in red with red quilting. The carbon in the dash is an option, it was included in the press pictures, like after all the ceramic brakes (which to my knowledge weren't available either in the former model).

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Saying that, I've sat in the Stelvio as well and that has a plastic fantastic interior, too.

·
Registered
413 Posts
It's curious how many people pit the Stelvio against the Q3... I don't but I seem the only one. For me is effective the following: Q3:Stelvio=Tonale Concept:Q5. It's small to big equals small to big, or medium sized SUV.

The Stelvio fully equipped should be higher ranking compared to the Q3... I'd go as far as to say the Alfa is a sovereign brand unlike Audi, therefore you get leather stitched dashboard :) But... it's unlikely one might wanna buy an Alfa for that, it's like buying into a lady because she's wearing a nice dress. You buy it for the experience, the driving one.

·
Registered
598 Posts
I wouldn’t even know if there was an Alfa dealer anywhere near me.
Their reputation in the UK used to be dreadful.
But I like the look of the Stelvio. A mate, whose very pro Italian bikes and cars, nearly bought one but ended up with a Macan S, which had morphed into a classic 911 Carrera 4.

With the current tossers hatred of SUVs, I was amused to look at my Q3 in Tesco’s car park yesterday....all four ‘normal’ cars next to me, like small people carriers and pumped up hatchbacks, were bigger than mine. The Merc Estate the other side was way longer and not much lower.

·
Super Moderator
5,594 Posts
Exactly. I swapped a Jaguar X-Type Estate for my Q3 and was pleased to find the Q3 was less than an inch wider and a good foot shorter, therefore easier to park.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts