Audi Q3 Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This young and very enthusiastic chap seems to have beaten all the pro journos into getting a decent go in the new RS SB.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I was wondering already if one could have a test drive but tbh I was more hoping of something dry and warm as I am afraid my old 8U TDI in the snow might be just as quick as the new RS Q3 Sb.

Through the Audi.it one can book Alta Badia, Cortina and Madonna di Campiglio for test drives. Not sure if there will be a fleet of RS Q3s available.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Looks lovely inside - but doesn't sound like the 5 pot howl that the old RSQ3 produces and certainly couldn't be that noisy based on the current EU regulations. Audi RS cars these days tend to have a 'SoundAktor' in the front bulkhead that produces a sound inside the car - I used OBD11 to turn the one in the RS4 - off.

Was in Solihull's Touchwood retail mall this afternoon where there is a Tesla showroom - I'm still thinking EV will be the next car. Whilst the RSQ3 is undoubtedly attractive I'm ever more convinced the Audi are sticking to a tried and tested formula of IC engine'd vehicles while the market has moved on and they haven't got products to fulfil the need..sticking to the old rule of 'sell what you have got in the showroom'.

·
Registered
413 Posts
There's plenty of videos on YouTube showing the old RS Q3 both inside and outside, static, revving, accelerating, rolling along... and the new one seems to better the old one in every respect. In the interior the sound is present, involving and exciting, even more than the old one. And if there's a Sound Aktor to enhance what I perceive as loud and very similar to the original Q3 well... I don't care that much, I'd turn it off if I want.

[ame]https://youtu.be/vHlbQBhDXbQ?t=102[/ame]
[ame]https://youtu.be/GMNgEp_I9xM?t=204[/ame]

I am even wondering what's up with the craze for these lousy unreliable, dangerous, unpractical Electric Vehicles. Cars that are almost alpha tests on the customer base... every single exception run waiting to happen... they're like a ticking timebomb waiting to catch fire for a short on the first fender bender. WTH !

And by the way EVs will always be inferior to IC engine car in sportiness ... there's no way on earth an EV vehicle will be better handling than an ICE car, they CANNOT defy the laws of physics. I am REVOLTED thinking about the handling an RS Q3 could have with an electric motor run by batteries... and even the range, what would it be able to cover, 100 Km if it's all flat !?

Come one... I am afraid this is the best RS Q3 there's ever been.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Good morning M80 - you made me smile. 120 years ago there must have been people who thought the ratty/smokey/hard to get fuel for (used to come in tin cans) 3 and 4 wheeled contraptions would never replace horses. Like horses could jump over hedges and ditches, travel through deep snow etc...and yet look what happened...

EVs will be the same - not losing sight of the fact the current driver controlled vehicles are just a stepping stone to fully autonomous transport so we are in the final era of driving a vehicle for pleasure - which is kind of sad.

·
Super Moderator
5,594 Posts
'Twas ever thus...

In 100 years time our descendants will be bitching about having to give up their wonderful fun autonomous EVs for the boring (but much faster) Teleport...

Reactions: RSQ3John

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It has been a very understated launch, almost as if Audi aren't interested in the public knowing it exists. They are at dealerships because the young guy in the OP obviously got that one from his local and there is one parked outside Stoke Audi, too.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
To be fair to Audi UK they must have trouble justifying the marketing spend - RSQ3 is really niche model, basically a mumsy school run wagon with fabulous performance and high running costs. I'd have to assume Audi are working with the 'Halo' concept where that fact that it exists at all reflects on the range generally,

The RSQ3 was previously on sale here from around mid 2014 to January 2017 and they sold something like 865 in total for all the 310/340/367PS versions. I do like the look of the car and the interior design too - they will be rare sight on the road. If you search RSQ3 on AutoTrader some of the dealers have their delivered stock cars shown - with discounts already.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I tried looking on Auto Trader but their intrusive 'allow all cookies or else' pop up just blocks the screen. I've now deleted the bookmark altogether and won't be visiting there again.

The Frankfurt motor show was only a few weeks before the car was announced and they didn't show it there either...

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Run Ad-Block plus in your web browser Simon - you can satisfy the web site's prompt but avoid the cookie payload - increasingly however sites that want the advertising revenue (fair enough however I'm not playing) will block access - those get deleted by me too.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Thanks Simon - seemed like a pretty balanced review, no evidence of synthetic exhaust noise either. Noted that it lacks the 'full fat Quattro' setup of the bigger Audi vehicles or the SportDiff - fair enough, it's Haldex based. Will be interesting to see if the initial depreciation hit is as savage as it was on it's predecessor - will be in low £40k territory in 6 months I expect.

·
Registered
413 Posts
He was asking real wheel steering in a Q3! It's complete madness... as it is calling upon a rear based traction. Tbh although rather unbiased he seems someone that can't even stand the normal Q3 in the first place hence he can't even understand why there can be an RS Q3 Sportback.

At least in my country the depreciation of the RS model it's entirely due to the magnitude of taxes attached to it, the normal Q3 has probably the highest resale value of the entire segment compact SUV.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Amazing though the RS as an ownership experience there is no escape from the fact that it's running costs are in a different league from it's other rather more sensible Q3 family members..

Here in UK - Road Fund Licence £325 per year, fuel consumption (99 octane) around 25mpg, tyres every 18,000 miles...

Oh but the scintillating fun, big grins every day..so worth it.

·
Super Moderator
5,594 Posts
The "standard" Q3 is like a wife - dependable, reliable, comfortable and familiar. The RSQ3 however, appears to be like a high-maintenance mistress - fast, expensive, seductively attractive and a whole load of not-so-innocent fun and extremely guilty pleasure. ;-)

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Perfectly put Gromit - I'm so riddled with guilt as I've had multiple mistresses...:tango_face_glasses:

·
Registered
168 Posts
Hi John,

You hit on one of my biggest worries about stepping up to a RS - the depreciation. All other costs are understood. In the NY I will arrange a test drive and request a valuation on my current Q3. I am semi prepared for a shock, could be the depreciation is the straw that prevents another Q3. We'll see.

Mike

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Have an RS - just don't buy one new.

My 1st RSQ3 was acquired when it was 9 months old with 3,000 miles on the clock - it had lost £17k of its purchase price, I expect the current model to be the same as almost all the high-performance Audi cars suffer a similar fate. The 2018 RS4 had a £75k list and lost more than £20k in 10 months - I ran it for 6 months and lost a very bearable £850 for the experience.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Have an RS - just don't buy one new.
My only caveat here is to wonder how many people pay list for a new car (unless it's a new in-demand model, with a growing waiting list). Many Audi's are available with eg 10% discount to list, sometimes more. DTD is currently showing ~10% discount for a new RS Q3 in fact. So the discount for nearly new vs brand new is maybe nearer 10% than eg 20%.

The rest of the upfront cost on a new car is the kudos (if that matters to you at all) of being the very first owner or - what's much more important to me - being able to spec a car exactly how I want it. (Though it's interesting how this latter point is starting to change - on my Q3 SB Vorsprung, the only obvious option I could choose was the exterior colour - other things like the exact stitching on the seats are really pretty minor.)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts