Audi Q3 Owners Forum banner

First wash and wax

4K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  JDH 
#1 ·
Well here she is after a long hot day of cleaning, a proper shine..Washed with DODO juice "born to be mild" shampoo, dried off then prepped with DODO juice "lime prime lite". Polished with Autoglym HD resin polish, then waxed with Meguiars Gold Carnuba hard wax. Wheels were done with Meguiars "hot rims" then sealed with DODO juice "ice" wheel sealer. Protected for about 5 months just top up with DODO juice " red mist" detailer after washes. Hard work but the results speak for themselves !....And no swirls

See less See more
#3 ·
i can pull it back and its twice as wide, just fits nice and snug at the top so i can squeeze the van in behind it...hold my breath though every time i reverse out

#5 ·
We rarely wash our cars - even if we take them to get them washed they are filthy by the time we have driven the 8 miles home (apart from the very driest weather)
Once a year when the car is serviced/MOT'd or before a wedding/funeral is all that's worth doing. I told the dealer in the showroom this - I'm not sure he was impressed

#6 ·
I find it quite relaxing, took a whole day though, i never take any of my cars to car washes automated or not, always safer to do it yourself and you will reap the rewards when it comes to trade in time.

#7 ·
I don't know about reaping any rewards come trade in time from my experience. Book value if you're lucky but def worth it if you're selling privately as a well looked after car always stands out.

I look after all my cars but no special products etc and it looks brand new a year down the line.

Great way to spend a few hours out the house though

#8 ·
ollie said:
I find it quite relaxing, took a whole day though, i never take any of my cars to car washes automated or not, always safer to do it yourself and you will reap the rewards when it comes to trade in time.
Our current cars are 8/9 years old and are in good nick for their age :) I can see the point if you're trading in every 2/3 years, but we don't do that. We have a problem washing cars at home (my excuse anyway) as we have a borehole and the hose water comes off before it goes through the filter so bits of chalk might be in the water and scratch the car ................
I used to wash and polish and chrome my cars many years ago.

#9 ·
Bambi, that is the best excuse i have ever heard... good mind to come round and wash it for you after that
as for re sale i change mine every 4 years or so and i really think if in 4 years time your car looks like that, inside and out you will definitely see the benefits, i always have..

#10 ·
ollie said:
Bambi, that is the best excuse i have ever heard... good mind to come round and wash it for you after that
as for re sale i change mine every 4 years or so and i really think if in 4 years time your car looks like that, inside and out you will definitely see the benefits, i always have..
You can come round and wash my car if you like - just bring your own water
Your car does look very good !!I suppose, when the new car arrives, I'll just have to take care of it a bit - but our cars get daily mudpacks most of the year so their paintwork stays looking young

Edited by: Bambi

#13 ·
Hard work pays off.......... but it doesn't have to be like that.Sorry to disappoint you - but I could probably got the White Q3 looking like that (or better ) in less than half an hour.Let me explain ( and try not to upset anyone as I'm an upstart newbie
)Anyone who has read the newbie thread will realise that I don't yet own a Q3, but will likely be shortly placing an order. However reading this thread I thought I may add a (maybe controversial) view. I am unlikely to ever wash my Q3 in the traditional sense. For that last 5 years all my cars have been cleaned using Waterless cleaning products. This technique is remarkable and all the cars I have owned ( 2 from new).I won't even consider using a bucket and water again - ever. Only possible caveat isif the car is caked in mud - a rinse with a power wash first is probably advisable.My Pearlescent white Toyota has a finish that looks like a mirror and once you get used to usingwaterless I guarantee you won't ever use water and polish again.There is a leap of faith need here. It doesn't make sense to "wash" a car like this. It isalso ingrained into the psyche of the avid car cleaner that this all takes hard work and numerous expensive products with fancy names - Believe me it doesn't.The first couple ofcleans it's a bit harder work but once you have a layer on , subsequent cleans are easy. There are many brands , but Showroom Shine from Greased Lightening is probably the best.If you want another motivator - during the winter months when hose pipes are frozen andusing a bucket extremely cold and messy - I've have got used to being the only car in the car park that looks like it has justcome out of the showroom.P.S. and before any of you ask ...... NO it doesn't scratch the paint. Otherwise wouldn't use it on any car , yet alone a beautiful new Q3

#14 ·
ollie said:
<span style="color: rgb51, 51, 51; font-family: 'lucida grande', tahoma, verdana, arial, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; line-height: 17px;">Well here she is after a long hot day of cleaning, a proper shine..Washed with DODO juice "born to be mild" shampoo, dried off then prepped with DODO juice "lime prime lite". Polished with Autoglym HD resin polish, then waxed with Meguiars Gold Carnuba hard wax. Wheels were done with Meguiars "hot rims" then sealed with DODO juice "ice" wheel sealer. Protected for about 5 months just top up with DODO juice " red mist" detailer after washes. Hard work but the results speak for themselves !....And no swirls 
</span><span style="color: rgb51, 51, 51; font-family: 'lucida grande', tahoma, verdana, arial, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; line-height: 17px;">
</span><span style="color: rgb51, 51, 51; font-family: 'lucida grande', tahoma, verdana, arial, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; line-height: 17px;">

</span>
Fantastic mate. Used all the correct products and it shows. None of this greased larding sh'te. Keep up the good work and it will still be like new in years to come....with no swirl marks...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.