Audi Q3 Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After the 8/900 miles for run in when does the first service /oil change happen Is it the same as BMW condition based setup.<div style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">
<div style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">My current car a 120d F20 didn't have its first oil change until 19000 miles i didn't like this. I am from the old school oil change era changing after a short period run in then a oil change after that dropping into a set miles routine. How does Audi do it?<div style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">
<div style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">thanks Arightpest

·
Registered
518 Posts
The Q3 is set up for long life service, unless you advise the dealer that you want to change this to fixed period service. Other than personal preference, one reason for changing to fixed period servicing is that the use is predominantlyfrequent stop starts, city driving rather than open road driving. Another reason for specifying fixed period servicing is very low annual mileage.

The reason that manufacturers can permit extended oil changes is that oils themselves have changed since when we were younger (I am in my late 60's). Intuitively, therefore, we feel a need to change oil frequently. In fact, I recall that my father's cars (1950's) needed the oil changed every 1000 miles, which then progressed to every 3000 miles, then 6000 miles etc as oil technology advanced. Now 19000 miles is considered safe for oil changes, and the long life service technology takes unput from actual usage patterns (how many journeys, oil temperature etc) to work out when an oil change is needed.

I had an A2 Tdi (since given to our daughter who still drives it everyday) which was set up for long life servicing. This turned out to be every 38000 miles!!. The car is now 14 years old and has 160,000 miles on it and runs perfectly, though in recent years the annual mileage has been very low so the oil is changed annually.

In summary, long life servicing appears to work. Above all, the manufacturers are prepared to guarantee that!

·
Registered
485 Posts
I'm in the old camp and remember oil changes at 3,000 miles. However I also like the idea of technology progressing and costs reduced.

As such, I usually take the car in about 15000 miles for the first service. In fact on my old car the mechanic came out and asked me if I wanted him to do it as it was not due- were they busy that day or what?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts