Audi Q3 Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Q3 is a year old

Anyway the screen is telling me it's needing an oil change, called up my local to be told this is £146. Now my mileage is on the low side so i don't have any complaints about getting the oil changed yearly but I was just wondering how everybody else celebrated this milestone?
Was it with a £146 bill or am i having my trousers taken down here!
On a positive note however, the car has been excellent and not let me down. Even the dodgy fitting fuel flap cover fixed itself after a good few uses

·
Super Moderator
6,233 Posts
'OW MUCH??

Bloody ****, £146 squid just for an oil and filter change sounds like they're taking (a) advantage of you, and (b) the piss. It looks like Audi main dealers charge like the Light Brigade and I for one will be taking mine to an independent if that's the rate they try charging me.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wondering if i need to bring in my own barrel or does the price include one to bend me over

There's only 2 Audi dealers near me and they are both owned by the same group so i'm going to phone the other and see what they charge. I actually had to ask the price as they assume you'll just pay whatever blindly, they obviously don't know me very well

·
Super Moderator
1,756 Posts
Did you ask if you could bring your own Oil (with the correct Specs).

My Dealer doesn't have a problem with that. And mine has 8.5 litres of Oil in it.
Dealer price: € 28,00/Litre e..y Price (about) € 9,00/Litre.
Saving every Service about € 160,00!

·
Registered
188 Posts
In Japan Audi gives 2-yrs of free service. This includes oil change, oil filter and brake pads.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Been told i can bring my own oil if i want but i can see it now with a warranty claim "Must be your oil sir, if you would have used our oil blah blah blah"
Tried another dealership who are £12 dearer!!
Asked for a discount "Could i have a discount please, what level would i be entitled to?", the lady on the other end of the phone obviously interpreted this as "Could i have some dog turd smeared along the side" from the reaction i got. Also turned down their polite offer to wash my car using the stone filled sponge form the previous 100 cars.
Japan is a bit too far to go to save a few quid but i like the suggestion, you probably get a better warranty than the 3 year rubbish we get here

·
Registered
56 Posts
If you have low mileage then why does the car need an oil change at 1 year?
I thought the MMI system just told you when the car needed a service based on mileage and type of use. My Q3 is a year old next week and still has 370 days or 8400 miles to the next service whichever is the sooner. I confirmed with Audi UK and my local dealer that the car does not need an annual service and they agreed that I should just follow the MMI recommendation.
It might be worth checking why you need a service?

·
Super Moderator
1,756 Posts
SeaBox said:
If you have low mileage then why does the car need an oil change at 1 year?
I thought the MMI system just told you when the car needed a service based on mileage and type of use. My Q3 is a year old next week and still has 370 days or 8400 miles to the next service whichever is the sooner. I confirmed with Audi UK and my local dealer that the car does not need an annual service and they agreed that I should just follow the MMI recommendation.
It might be worth checking why you need a service?
That's right. The car tells you when it's time for a service.

·
Registered
432 Posts
This is a 'cut and paste' taken from the 'Owners Area' of the Audi Website.Your dealer can set up the software on your car for the type of schedule that suits your driving pattern.<div ="generic-text="" text="" par="" section"="" style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; height: 306.3999938964844px; color: rgb92, 96, 102; font-family: verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 13.600000381469727px; line-height: 17.8125px; : rgb229, 233, 234;"><div ="text="" "="" style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px;"><h2 style="margin: 12px 0px; padding: 0px; font-size: 1.2em; font-weight: normal; color: rgb43, 47, 51;">"How often should an Audi be serviced?</h2>This will depend on your driving style and the service schedule you use.At Audi, we offer two different service schedules: the fixed Inspection Service and the flexible LongLife Service schedule.The conventional fixed Inspection Service schedule has fixed intervals for both the Oil-change Service and the Inspection Service, which are determined by time and distance (see table below).With the flexible LongLife Service schedule, the Inspection Service intervals are also fixed but the Oil-change Service intervals are flexible. Sensors take account of driving style and conditions to determine when the Oil-change Service is required and the driver is informed via the on-board service interval display.<div ="par="" generic-="" section"="" style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; color: rgb92, 96, 102; font-family: verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 13.600000381469727px; line-height: 17.8125px; : rgb229, 233, 234;">
<div ="generic-text="" text="" par="" section"="" style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; height: 297.6000061035156px; color: rgb92, 96, 102; font-family: verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 13.600000381469727px; line-height: 17.8125px; : rgb229, 233, 234;"><div ="text="" "="" style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px;">When a vehicle is frequently used in the following conditions, we recommend the vehicle is on a fixed schedule, regardless of mileage:<ul style="margin: 12px 0px; padding: 0px; list-style: none; clear: both;"><li style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px 0px 0px 12px; background-image: url(http://www.audi.co.uk/etc/designs/audi/img/bgs/bulletpoint.gif); list-style-type: none; background-position: 0px 0.5em; background-repeat: no-repeat no-repeat;">Uneconomical driving styles, i.e. heavy acceleration and braking, constant use of high revs<li style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px 0px 0px 12px; background-image: url(http://www.audi.co.uk/etc/designs/audi/img/bgs/bulletpoint.gif); list-style-type: none; background-position: 0px 0.5em; background-repeat: no-repeat no-repeat;">High engine loading conditions, i.e. frequent towing and hill climbs[/list]* As indicated by the service interval display. Mileages are approximate as the Service Indicator system uses kilometres as its distance measurement.The choice of service schedule will depend on journey type and mileage as well as individual driving style and conditions. The table above can be used for guidance but your Audi Centre will help you to determine the most suitable Service schedule for you based on your individual circumstances and preferences."
Edited by: Malph

·
Registered
518 Posts
My understanding is that unless you specify to the contrary, a new car is set up to be on the Flexible Long life service regime, ie first service after 2 years. Please check with your dealer how they set it up. I think this might have been recorded in the ServiceHistory bookgiven in your car documentation

·
Registered
613 Posts
My first service was back in March at 18,400 miles (after 8 months!) - it's showing just over 31k now, and the MMI is saying another 7k miles before service is required...

·
Registered
518 Posts
My comment should have read that under the Flexible longlife regime, first service is 2 years subject to mileage (approx. 19000miles). ie the earlier of 2 years or approx. 19000 miles

·
Registered
485 Posts
The garage should have asked you what type of motoring you did before you bought it and set the MMI up accordingly.

There is no difference at all on delivery to the garage, so I would be tempted to ask them why you had not been asked the question at the time of purchase and bluntly point out that it was probably to line their pockets? I suppose it is too late for them to change the settings now. I noticed on my previous car that the garage had set it wrong and after about 2,000 miles they put it on longlife.

I do about 8,000 miles per year, mainly all long runs, so went for the longlife service.

This is something all new buyers should be aware of- Make sure you specify what service regime you want.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Setig, as I said, my understanding is that the cars are delivered from the factory with long life oil already in the engine. I do not believe that the dealership changes or puts in the oil. I might be wrong here, but that is my understanding

·
Registered
432 Posts
rontheman, I think you're right regarding the type of oil in the engine from the factory. The problem is that the longlife oil is formulated for the long run etc scenario. If the car is used for short runs over a low mileage the oil tends to lose it's quality/efficiency and needs to be changed more often.I had the same situation on a Scirocco I had a few years back. It's the way VAG do their servicing schedules.

·
Registered
54 Posts
reilsab said:
My Q3 is a year old 

Anyway the screen is telling me it's needing an oil change, called up my local to be told this is £146. Now my mileage is on the low side so i don't have any complaints about getting the oil changed yearly but I was just wondering how everybody else celebrated this milestone? 
Was it with a £146 bill or am i having my trousers taken down here!
On a positive note however, the car has been excellent and not let me down. Even the dodgy fitting fuel flap cover fixed itself after a good few uses 
If you're not wanting to pay Audi prices, a top tip I was given was take your car to VW or even Skoda and pay less but you'll get same spec lubes and genuine parts. Might be worth trying?

·
Registered
518 Posts
Might that invalidate the warranty. And who stamps the Service history book? All for saving, say, £30?

·
Registered
54 Posts
I was just replying to Reilsab's post, personally I'm more than happy to pay the money which, having been used to paying Porsche prices in the past its a bargain!

The days of invalidating your warranty because you've chosen to have your car serviced elsewhere are long gone and consumers are protected in law. As long as its to the manufacturers' specifications you are fine. The thing with Audi is common parts such as oil filters etc are likely to be VW branded anyway and not Audi. What you're paying extra for is the swankier showroom and snobbery value nothing more.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Malph, agreed re the short journeys/long life oil, but isn't that where the flexible service interval (ie mileage ) comes in, ie more demanding journeys=shorter service intervals?

·
Registered
432 Posts
Precisely!! More demanding meaning shorter journeys, not properly warmed up engine equals more wear and tear.
I speak with a bit of a background as an ex aero engine engineer for 39 years.Edited by: Malph

1 - 20 of 35 Posts