Audi Q3 Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Its been a while since I posted, felt like yday but my q3 is already one year old and still the best, beside the huge turning circle, didn't realise this is almost as big as large SUVs and parking in tiny UK parking spaces is definitely not a breeze!!
However, its year one and I have done about 5000 miles. I got a message saying "Oil Change in 29 days" on my display!! I called up and the service agent said the could book me in for an oil change service @ 208£ OR I could reset the message and schedule it at 2 years or 18K miles.

Not sure what is the best solution, I will probably do another 5K miles next year, so can I leave it until then to get the oil change, can the experts please advise?

By the way, I have the 1.4 TFsi COD 150ps

Thanks in advance :)

·
Super Moderator
5,965 Posts
Your mileage is too low to safely have the service interval reset - if you did that your first oil-change would not be due for roughly another 12,000 miles, not a good idea for the first change!

It wouldn't be adviseable for subsequent oil-changes either IMHO, although marginally more acceptable than for the first change when there's more accumulated abrasive gunge swilling around in the oil.

5000 miles p.a. really dictates an annual oil-change.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Audi do two types of servicing - fixed and variable. Simply put if you do under 10k miles per year you should be on the fixed service schedule, if not then the variable. Whether you are on fixed or variable is on your MMI (it shows you when your next service is due), it sounds like (quite rightly) you are on a fixed service plan as you are doing less than 10K year.
I've just had mine changed from variable to fixed as since retiring I'm now doing less than 10K/year. Just had the first service done on my RSQ3 and wish it HAD only been £208......

·
Registered
506 Posts
Hawkeye said:
I've just had mine changed from variable to fixed as since retiring I'm now doing less than 10K/year. Just had the first service done on my RSQ3 and wish it HAD only been £208......
Me too - £472!! Ouch!

And to rub salt into the wounds, they lost my digital service record book.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Please keep me right.
Should I get the oil in my new Q3 (S LIne, 1.4 S Tronic) changed after 500 miles initially and thereafter every 12 months (less than 10000 miles per annum)
Getting confused!

·
Super Moderator
5,965 Posts
First check with your dealer whether your service interval has been set to variable or fixed (normally left at variable unless requested otherwise) then leave it to the MMI to warn you. First service (oil change) comes up a few thousand miles in, thereafter annually if set to fixed.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Thanks, Spike.
The fixed schedule will suit me perfectly. However, I'm sure I read somewhere (in probably the dim and distant past) that new cars should get rid of the initial oil at 500 miles and that the service schedule kicks in once that has been done.
Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Hi EddieThe 500 mile oil chance has not been specified for many years. In fact my last brand new Audi, bought in 2001, and one of the first to use long life oil, did not require it. Regardless, I changed the oil and filter myself at 1000 miles but did not reset the service indicator or tell the Dealer. Out of interest I opened up the filter but found no visible metal particles.New manufacturing and machiningprocesses mean there is far less 'running in' debris in the oil so the early oil and filter change is not really essential now.

Cheers Spike

·
Registered
30 Posts
Can't thank you enough Spike. I don't have the technical ability to change oil or filters so I'll assume that the MMI is on the fixed schedule (as I do less than 10000 mile per year) and informs me when the service is due.
Plan of action now very clear.
Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Eddie McKenna said:
I'll assume that the MMI is on the fixed schedule (as I do less than 10000 mile per year) and informs me when the service is due.
Thanks again!
Hi EddieYou can check using MMI but I can almost guarantee the service indicator will be set on 'variable' and not fixed.Not a big deal, just keep an eye on the mileage and when it's done 9000miles, or the year is up, book it in for a service.

Cheers Spike

·
Registered
170 Posts
I asked for my car to be on fixed service when delivered.
This was not done, when booking the car in for an annual service and the car being on variable you would not believe the conversation with the dealer to get them to service early.
I was told they couldnt service the car until it told them !

·
Registered
30 Posts
Sorry to keep bothering you, Spike. How can I tell from the MMI whether the service schedule has been set at fixed or variable?
I'm not very technological (if you haven't already noticed!)

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Click the 'CAR' button - bottom left onon the centre MMI control panelHighlight then select 'Servicing and checks' and this will show the miles /days to the next serviceFor 'fixed' services, it should be counting down from 365 days or 9k miles

Cheers Spike

·
Registered
30 Posts
Once again, Terrific!!!
I presume if it shows more than 9000 miles then it is set to the variable service schedule!
Amazing what you find out if you just ask!!!
Many thanks again!

·
Registered
199 Posts
Mines due 1st service in a couple of weeks, it's on variable service interval so 2 years old and done 12500 miles. Had oil and filter changed at 12 months 6000 miles by independent garage my son works for using genuine filter and long life oil. Can't believe Audi want £450.75 for oil change and inspection

·
Registered
199 Posts
I questioned the cost saying I thought I would be around £250 and was told that if it was an annual then I would be but as it's a 2 year service it works out about the same over the 2 years.
Think I'm going to get it done at an independent and risk any awkwardness regarding any possible warranty work

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
Thats dealer rubbish talk Chippie. Mine was around £260 for an oil change service after 2 years/18k miles.Even the Audi service price menu on their web page doesnt quote that much. Either theyre talking rubbish or trying to pull the wool over your eyes.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts