Audi Q3 Owners Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As alluded to elsewhere my period of Q3 ownership is now over with the car just having left on a trailer bound for an Audi dealer in the N W Midlands.

Having followed the current market ructions with regards to second hand car prices and with the “planets aligning” I took the difficult decision to part with my Q3 but at a handsome profit!

With 2 weeks holiday coming up and then a couple of months off driving whilst I have a hip replacement there will only likely be about 12 days between now and the end of Feb when I can drive so it seemed the perfect opportunity to order another car and make some money at the same time.

I’ve decided to go electric and have ordered a Hyundai Ioniq 5 for delivery in Feb/March but with a lease this time, not a PCP. That said between now and when the car arrives at the dealer I can change my mind free of charge……

I really liked the Q3 but a couple of issues niggled……the ride on 20” wheels was just too firm, even with the tyres at the recommended comfort setting. I occasionally transport elderly people to hospital by way of a local charity and on occasion they use to stagger out of the car on arrival well shaken but not stirred. The roads in parts of Bath are shocking! I also found the constant hesitation from the DSG gearbox irritating, that squeaky bum moment when you’re pulling out into traffic and nothing happens before suddenly you take off like a rocket. I was also quite surprised by how much more refined a “courtesy” A5 was with the same engine when loaned to me recently. That said the car was fabulously comfortable, a great long distance cruiser and handled beautifully (albeit firmly).

Having extolled the virtues of Motorway.co.uk when I sold my TT runabout last year they came up trumps again. Back in Sept 20 I paid a nett figure of circa £37,500 for the car brand new

Pricing around, the best Carwow could come up with was £38,750 and WBAC wanted to start negotiating (down, of course) from £39,200 but Motorway listed the car last Saturday with a reserve of £39,400 and came up with £39,800 when the auction completed from an Audi main dealer. They have cleared the remaining finance and the balance is now sitting in my bank account with the car having been collected today. I’ve made about £3000 over and above the deposit I put down when I bought the car and of course I pay no fees!

So I shall be withdrawing from this forum gradually but would like to say what a great bunch of folk we have on here, always helpful, always pleasant.

I hope you continue to enjoy your Q3s (but if you don’t you know how to get the best price for them!)

·
Super Moderator
3,723 Posts
Will be sad to see you go Perusal.

I've looked VERY closely at EVs recently and specifically the Kia EV6 that shares the same E-GMP platform that the Hyundai IONIQ 5 also utilise - the 800 volt architecture sets it apart from Tesla and most other players (e-Tron GT is 800v).

I have concerns about the real-world range, the bits that all the sales blurb details don't want to share. Namely routinely charging the battery to 100% is discouraged with an optimal charge level being 80% and not going below 10%, so 70% usable and then battery chemistry being significant impacted in cold weather further diminishing range in the winter months

Given the pessimistic EV residual value forecasts I received the lease option you have taken is a wise move - do keep us posted on progress.!

Reactions: Gromit

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Will be sad to see you go Perusal.

I've looked VERY closely at EVs recently and specifically the Kia EV6 that shares the same E-GMP platform that the Hyundai IONIQ 5 also utilise - the 800 volt architecture sets it apart from Tesla and most other players (e-Tron GT is 800v).

I have concerns about the real-world range, the bits that all the sales blurb details don't want to share. Namely routinely charging the battery to 100% is discouraged with an optimal charge level being 80% and not going below 10%, so 70% usable and then battery chemistry being significant impacted in cold weather further diminishing range in the winter months

Given the pessimistic EV residual value forecasts I received the lease option you have taken is a wise move - do keep us posted on progress.!

You make very good points about the range concerns and the “usable” amount of battery with which I concur. However for me 90% of the time the car will be used in relatively close proximity to home so range shouldn’t be an issue. On our occasional trips to the N East, a journey of circa 300 miles, we would normally stop twice anyway and I suspect the same would be true with the EV although the locations of such stops would be dictated by where the chargers are located. The big plus for the I5 and EV6 against nearly all the competition is the speed as which they can charge however. We shall see…… I am now following an I5 forum very closely to see what experiences current owners have in the depths of winter. As I alluded to above I do have the option of bailing out FOC if I don’t like what I’m seeing. Time alone will tell…..

·
Registered
570 Posts
All the best Perusal.
Do keep us posted here about real world experience of ioniq 5.
I saw once on road and it looked really futuristic.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
When the battery technology catches up with the application and the charging infrastructure actually works then I will consider an EV. Until then its a Q5 hybrid with no range anxiety. However, as an EV, the Hyundai IONIQ 5 ticks all the boxes.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Sorry to see you go and all the best with the op and the EV.
Not sure which is the scariest prospect. ;) 😂

Reactions: Jalees and Gromit

·
Super Moderator
6,467 Posts
We'll keep your seat warm for when you see the light. Good luck!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi, just thought I would check back in quickly to see how things were going in the Q3 world and give an update on where I am today…….

Long story short…… having ordered the Hyundai Ioniq 5 I bailed completely a couple of weeks later. Seems the car is having some teething issues and the more you delve into it the more you realise what a huge con the WLTP range figures are eg claimed 298 miles range equals a reality of circa 150 miles at this time of year and at 75 mph motorway speeds. (LOTS of supporting evidence on YouTube). Also it became increasingly clear that the charging network is not fit for purpose, numerous stories of people getting stranded by broken chargers.

Given I wasn’t driving for the last 3 months due to the surgery I had early December, I only started driving again this week, I had time to look around and reassess my needs and also product availability.

So, I’m now driving (leasing) a Range Rover Evoque R- Dynamic SE P300e ie a PHEV and absolutely love it. I’m averaging about 180mpg at the moment but that will drop the minute I start doing longer runs. It will do around 30 miles on electricity alone.

It’s much quicker off the mark due to its electric motor and interior quality is a match for the Audi albeit it has a very different ambiance. Refinement is in another league. You sit higher in it and it feels quite large but it’s actually a bit smaller than the Q3. I really like it.
Boot space isn’t compromised by the batteries because they’re under the rear seat but overall it’s noticeably less practical than the Q3, the boot is nowhere near as flexible. And for the RSQ3 aficionados there’s no high performance version either albeit 0-60 in 6.1 seconds isn’t too shabby.
Of course the elephant in the room is Land Rover’s reliability issues. Certainly some early adopters of the car are having major issues with the electric motors, time alone will tell.

For sure, if I came back to Audi I’d certainly look at the TFSie model next time.
Enjoy your Q3s for as long as HM Govt allows us to own our individual motors!

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
WLTP was preceded by NEDC. Both seriously flawed and abused by the car manufacturers. With BEV's the range can be seriously affected by temperature, terrain and route. If you take the actual BEV range to be about two thirds of the WLTP stated range then you will get reality. This does beg the question as to why WLTP exists at all.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Even I have come to a conclusion after having smart forfour EV 70 miles range in reality is 45miles.
I don't see what and why Govt is promoting EV.
Maybe some long term plan when people would just avoid driving cars ☺ due to all those restrictions and Govt would achieve their target of co2 No2 etc.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
While our government attempts to transition between fossil fuels and batteries they still get a massive tax revenue from the motorist. This would explain why hydrogen is not being promoted as you can produce hydrogen from the air or sea which are public domains so, how are they going to collect tax on this. We are currently using basic battery technology which was first used towards the end of the 19th century. so, there is a lot of impetus to create a better battery technology which is cheaper, smaller, lighter, quicker to charge, has a far longer range and is more eco friendly. I believe that this will come to commercial fruition in the next five or six years. But the public charging infrastructure will still be crap.

Reactions: DavidS

·
Registered
58 Posts
While our government attempts to transition between fossil fuels and batteries they still get a massive tax revenue from the motorist. This would explain why hydrogen is not being promoted as you can produce hydrogen from the air or sea which are public domains so, how are they going to collect tax on this. We are currently using basic battery technology which was first used towards the end of the 19th century. so, there is a lot of impetus to create a better battery technology which is cheaper, smaller, lighter, quicker to charge, has a far longer range and is more eco friendly. I believe that this will come to commercial fruition in the next five or six years. But the public charging infrastructure will still be crap.
(My emphasis added to last sentence).

One only has to look at the difficulties and delays being experienced with the roll out of Smart Meters to have reservations about the pace of the rollout of public charging facilities for EVs.

Smart meters don't require reinforcement of the supply network and despite that the programme is years behind targets.

What chance does a programme that does require reinforcement of the supply network have of meeting targets?

·
Registered
2022 RSQ3 SE in Dayton Grey, C&S, red calipers
372 Posts
I wish we could leave this fixation with electrical propulsion behind us and focus on a worthwhile future source, I mean Hydrogen.

Mike

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Ah! Smart meters.
We had ours fitted for free about 8 years ago but it has never worked because it relies on a mobile phone signal and that is as good as non-existent in most of our village. The guy who installed it spent an hour trying to set it up but gave up in the end.

EVs….most of them that I see are at the front of long slow traffic queues presumably stretching their range - says it all really but maybe that’s the government’s ploy to slow everyone down.

To be fair, when my wife’s poor old Mini has to go (now nearly 19 years from buying new) a BEV would suit us just fine with a home charger but it only does about 1000 miles a year so a totally pointless very expensive purchase. I wouldn’t trust a five year old one or the support it might lose over time.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts