Audi Q3 Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
RS Owners,

As a matter of interest do you use normal grade fuel, or super grade, and why ?
Does anyone buy fuel for their RS at a supermarket fuel station, if so which supermarket name , ie TESCO, Sainsbury, etc.?

Thanks,

Mike

·
Registered
2014 RSQ3 Sepang blue.
49 Posts
When I first got the car BP Ultimate (as both garages close to me are BP) however at the weekend filled up (full tank from almost empty) with Shell V Power & the difference is REALLY noticeable, car feels more eager than ever to want to go, also seems to sound better too. It'll be V Power from now on for me.

·
Registered
863 Posts
V Power was always the best in my TVR but not that easy to get around here, Tesco 99 was dreadful and made it run like a bag of nails. I’ve always reckoned BP is overpriced and over self-proclaimed. I can never understand how they get away with being 2p a litre dearer than anyone else.

·
Registered
937 Posts
With all my RS variants I have used either 101 octane or Shell V Power. My last RS was an RS3 and I decided to try a couple of tanks of standard Shell. It was less responsive and the engine sounded like a bag of nails. When I got my first Q3 I thought I could save running costs by using Asda fuel. Again I decided to try a couple of tanks and the bag of nails was back with jerkiness at low revs. I went back to standard Shell for both that Q3 and my current Q3 and I now have a responsive engine which sounds as it should. Basically, for your RS, no to supermarket and yes to Shell V Power.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I’ve used VPower for years,in my previous R32 and my current RSQ3. That’s is,until the price of it became frankly,unjustifiable,to me,anyway. I now alternate,probably 3-1 fill ups,in favour of Tesco Momentum 99. I’ve got to admit,I can tell no difference whatsoever between them performance wise,none. I have the VPower solely for the better,supposedly,detergent package. This is on my remapped car,@ 410 bhp. The Momentum is perfectly fine in my car,and I shall continue to use it. VPower has priced itself out of my use as a full time fuel,simply can’t justify it to myself🤔

·
Registered
90 Posts
Same as The Jam for me... Tesco 99 is what mine is fed and runs perfectly fine.
Shell are taking the **** with their prices at the min... Bog standard unleaded at Shell is the same price per litre as Tesco 99 near me. Can't honestly see the point in paying a lot more for a little difference in addatives for vpower... Each to their own I guess...

Reactions: TheJam

·
Registered
937 Posts
The price of petrol is dependant on a number of factors, two being the location in the UK and the competitive filling stations in the locality. I have a friend who is a manager of my local Shell garage. Three times a day he drives within a mile radius and collates the fuel pricing. Then he rings a number and they tell him the price he has to sell his petrol at to maximise the profit and business. In Leeds we are very close to Bradford. There can be up to an 8p per litre price difference between the same fuel sold at Shell stations, Leeds is generally a wealthier area than Bradford.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have only put Tesco Momentum 99 in my RSQ3, and I did so in my previous AMG. In the S3 that I had before that I started with it using regular unleaded then changed to Momentum and there was a noticeable different between the regular and ‘super’ fuels.

All of the cars have seemed to run OK on the Momentum. As others have said, I cannot justify the cost of the VPower and Tesco is my local petrol retailer anyway.

·
Registered
863 Posts
The price of petrol is dependant on a number of factors, two being the location in the UK and the competitive filling stations in the locality. I have a friend who is a manager of my local Shell garage. Three times a day he drives within a mile radius and collates the fuel pricing. Then he rings a number and they tell him the price he has to sell his petrol at to maximise the profit and business. In Leeds we are very close to Bradford. There can be up to an 8p per litre price difference between the same fuel sold at Shell stations, Leeds is generally a wealthier area than Bradford.
Isn’t there an app that tells you the fuel prices?
It saves driving round if there is.

·
Super Moderator
2,564 Posts
Tesco Momentum 99 for mine (currently 1.269 here) - it is of note that the 400PS power output quoted by Audi assumes poor quality fuel where as several test reports on a Dyno' indicate circa 420PS give/take a couple of PS either way.

The branded fuel thing is mostly marketing BS - if there are additives then its generic for all. If you physically visit a fuel storage depot (I have visited a few in a past day job) the storage tanks are labelled by octane rating - you'll see branded tankers and non branded getting loads from the same terminal. Some depots are replenished via underground pipelines and others via by rail - interesting article here House of Commons - UK oil refining - Energy and Climate Change

There is a large fuel distribution depot at Kingsbury in the midlands - if you look on Google Earth you'll see Shell, BP, plain white and Hoyer tankers, typically the latter two deliver to supermarket fuel stations.

Google Maps

Reactions: Jalees

·
Registered
112 Posts
Tesco Momentum 99 for mine (currently 1.269 here) - it is of note that the 400PS power output quoted by Audi assumes poor quality fuel where as several test reports on a Dyno' indicate circa 420PS give/take a couple of PS either way.

The branded fuel thing is mostly marketing BS - if there are additives then its generic for all. If you physically visit a fuel storage depot (I have visited a few in a past day job) the storage tanks are labelled by octane rating - you'll see branded tankers and non branded getting loads from the same terminal. Some depots are replenished via underground pipelines and others via by rail - interesting article here House of Commons - UK oil refining - Energy and Climate Change

There is a large fuel distribution depot at Kingsbury in the midlands - if you look on Google Earth you'll see Shell, BP, plain white and Hoyer tankers, typically the latter two deliver to supermarkets fuel stations.

Google Maps
Hi John,very true,this depot is about five miles from where I live. I have heard some say the tanker drivers add the additive package at the various retail sites depending on brand,don’t know how true this is? If Tesco’s is good enough for you & other members,that’s reassuring. I think Menace would be equally impressed if he tried this instead of Shell’s equivalent.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Am I right in thinking the ethanol can only be added at the last minute?
We have a local distrubutor who has ethanol free std unleaded as standard so they get most of my business for the bikes and my wife’s Mini.

·
Registered
87 Posts
As somebody who worked in the oil and petrochemical industry for over 20 years, BP for the last 10 before I retired, some answers to generic questions and a few misapprehensions from above (see also my lengthy explanation of fuel types elsewhere in this forum)

All fuels are not the same. Yes, all fuel tankers will generally fill up at the same regional depot irrespective of brand (Avonmouth where I live) but at the time of filling the road tanker the additives proprietary to each brand are added and there are differences generally in detergency/cleanliness, I have seen the test results after thousands of miles and hours of testing.

The only difference in the base fuel is where you are using Momentum, Ultimate or V Power where the base fuel is more highly refined/distilled. Think of it like 40% proof or 50% proof whiskies. Performance benefits will generally be seen in more highly stressed engines eg RSQ3 type! Not so much in lower powered engines.

BP charge more simply because of the strength of their brand, nothing else. People feel they are filling up with a BRITISH brand. Don’t ask me to explain that but all the internal marketing guff supports that.

As far as Shell prices are concerned, if you download the Shell Go + app there are often bonuses/benefits to be had. For example, right now if I fill up with Shell, any grade, before 27/4 I will get 5p / litre discount. These benefits pop up more often the more often you purchase from them. Guess where I’m getting my next tank of fuel from.

Hope that helps but to reiterate - all fuels are NOT the same. That is not marketing BS.

As I said before you pays your money and you makes your choice. It’s up to you to decide what you prefer to use.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
John,
Interesting that Audi publish power figs based on std fuel, and it's understandable that a higher octane fuel shows more power under test, 420ish is a nice little extra.
I have a close friend who owns a JET station near to Scotland's oil complex at Grangemouth. He believes that the supermarket fuel may not be up to the same qual as the propriety brands. Some of this fuel may sit for extended periods in off shore tankers awaiting the right movement in the open market, this wait inevitably degrades the fuel over time. Hence the cheaper price, as well as buying huge volumes on the market and of course all supermarkets fuel are loss leaders.
I have always used propriety fuel, the cost is a little bit more, but hey who thinks of fuel costs when running a RS ?
Thanks everyone for your responses.

Mike

Reactions: RSQ3John and Menace

·
Registered
863 Posts
When we were in Singapore in ‘18 we were amazed at the number of ships in the bay and we were told they were either empty or full waiting for the price to rise. OK, that is oil, not petrol but that sort of thing is going on.
A bit like increasing petrol prices 20 minutes after a rise but 2 weeks after a reduction.

·
Super Moderator
2,564 Posts
The only difference in the base fuel is where you are using Momentum, Ultimate or V Power where the base fuel is more highly refined/distilled. Think of it like 40% proof or 50% proof whiskies. Performance benefits will generally be seen in more highly stressed engines eg RSQ3 type! Not so much in lower powered engines.

BP charge more simply because of the strength of their brand, nothing else. People feel they are filling up with a BRITISH brand. Don’t ask me to explain that but all the internal marketing guff supports that.
Thanks Perusal.

For my professional curiosity with a Supply Chain hat on.

Do you know where the branded additives are added to the tanker loads as the load manifests I've seen just shows the fuel loaded as so many thousand litres in each of the compartments? If there were additional branded additives then there would have to be some sort of mix ratio for the volume of fuel per compartment I guess?

·
Super Moderator
2,564 Posts
Just had a 200 mile round trip to collect my beloved Perazzi from a gunsmith up in the wilds of Shropshire and the RS has achieved a 31.79mpg actual (brimmed tanks, calculated), makes a change from the mid 20s of normal driving. Though as you rightly say Mike its never a concern and the calculations are out of idle interest.

·
Registered
863 Posts
I can’t even be idle about it. :D
Thin end of the wedge...you’ll be looking at Nissan Micras with those nice low rolling resistance tyres next John.

·
Super Moderator
2,564 Posts
DavidS - I've been rumbled :unsure:

Reactions: DavidS
1 - 20 of 24 Posts