Audi Q3 Owners Forum banner
21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
Audi RSQ3 Sportback Vorsprung 2021 Mythos Black
24 Posts
I reached out to PCW and apparently we would get the same outcome as the non sport exhaust versions, so the same outcome RSQ3John has achieved. Hoping we can get a video from our man at some point to admire the magical sound
I reached out to PCW and apparently we would get the same outcome as the non sport exhaust versions, so the same outcome RSQ3John has achieved. Hoping we can get a video from our man at some point to admire the magical sound
Lovely job, glad you have it booked in….
we’ll await for a bit more from John, maybe he’s just keeping us in suspense, ha.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
It actually sounds like a 2CV but he wants to see how many people he can con.

·
Super Moderator
3,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
A farty 2CV David...

Reactions: TheJam and DavidS

·
Super Moderator
6,467 Posts
You clould never mistake John's RS for a 2CV - there's no "Save The Whales" sticker on it for a kick-off... :rolleyes:

Reactions: TheJam and RSQ3John

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
But it has got those Charleston eyelashes on the headlights.

Reactions: TheJam and RSQ3John

·
Super Moderator
3,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Darn! I've been rumbled - again!

Reactions: TheJam

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Certainly looking forward to hearing how this sounds - ready to pull the trigger on some noise enhancements when I take delivery in a few weeks

·
Super Moderator
3,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Update.

Still loving it... On the 8U RSQ3 the crackles and pops in the exhaust under hard acceleration/overrun with the exhaust valve open was one of its really endearing characteristics.

On the F3 RSQ3 this doesn't happen with it being assumed/reports from the press at launch that this was due to the addition of the OPF filters. Well.....it isn't true. The PCW mod provides all the same drama as the 8U. The engine ECU opens the valves automatically when the engine spins past 4,000 rpm with a deliciously wicked crackle - hooligan material. I really must grow up... :eek:

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Never ever grow up….it’s surely not as good as people think/say. I’d still like to think I’m 37, not 67.

My wife approves of my road legal aftermarket Triumph (bike) exhaust system as it has a lovely base burble and, if she’s in the garden, she can hear me bimbling home from about 1/4 mile away so I get the gate opened for me as well.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Update.

Still loving it... On the 8U RSQ3 the crackles and pops in the exhaust under hard acceleration/overrun with the exhaust valve open was one of its really endearing characteristics.

On the F3 RSQ3 this doesn't happen with it being assumed/reports from the press at launch that this was due to the addition of the OPF filters. Well.....it isn't true. The PCW mod provides all the same drama as the 8U. The engine ECU opens the valves automatically when the engine spins past 4,000 rpm with a deliciously wicked crackle - hooligan material. I really must grow up... :eek:
Nice!! Very much looking forward to getting it done.

I am assuming the reference of the ecu opening valves automatically over 4,000 rpm would have been with Cete off/not reversed…?

·
Super Moderator
3,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Yeah - Cete off in Comfort mode.

·
Super Moderator
3,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
I'd add perhaps that the PCW mod to some extent negates the need for a Cete AVC, whereas I'd often use it in Comfort mode (Some RS owners learn to like the standard map VC display with fuel consumption displayed over the RS mode version with one click right to display all the vehicle data like turbo boost - me included) now I'll drive with the valves closed as there is a deeper rumbly tone since the mod...knowing the valves snap open as the revs build anyway.

Reactions: RS_Ben and Rico-RS

·
Registered
2021 RSQ3 Sportback Sport Edition, Daytona Grey, C&S pack, red calipers.
91 Posts
I'd add perhaps that the PCW mod to some extent negates the need for a Cete AVC, whereas I'd often use it in Comfort mode (Some RS owners learn to like the standard map VC display with fuel consumption displayed over the RS mode version with one click right to display all the vehicle data like turbo boost - me included) now I'll drive with the valves closed as there is a deeper rumbly tone since the mod...knowing the valves snap open as the revs build anyway.
Hi John

I take it that the CETE on the F3 will still fully open the valves whereas without it the valves are never fully open even in dynamic/sport when stationary and only when over 4k revs?

I guess the CETE (as experienced on my old RS3) just helps when stationary and at low revs when driving around town etc? I could definitely hear the difference with the CETE activated in dynamic/sport around town at low revs with the sound rebounding off the buildings.

·
Super Moderator
3,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Thanks Rico - Memory is a bit hazy as I had the Cete fitted almost when the car was new. Stock the valves were definitely open when the shift lever was in S, I'm not so sure in Dynamic.

When the CETE was installed I could open the valves at will - however we shouldn't forget that mine didn't have the Sports Exhaust option - so you have a different centre box and very likely more of the fake sound that we all loathe (turned off in mine). Around town, valves open, its borderline on a bad idea!

Reactions: Rico-RS

·
Registered
2021 RSQ3 Sportback Sport Edition, Daytona Grey, C&S pack, red calipers.
91 Posts
Thanks Rico - Memory is a bit hazy as I had the Cete fitted almost when the car was new. Stock the valves were definitely open when the shift lever was in S, I'm not so sure in Dynamic.

When the CETE was installed I could open the valves at will - however we shouldn't forget that mine didn't have the Sports Exhaust option - so you have a different centre box and very likely more of the fake sound that we all loathe (turned off in mine). Around town, valves open, its borderline on a bad idea!
Thanks John

If it’s like the valves on my OPF RS3 then even in sport the valves are never fully open, once I fitted the CETE the valves were fully open and hence slightly more noise at idle and low revs and of course allowing you to open/close at will via the drive select button or ESC.

I recorded the Db before and after the CETE and there was a good difference in dynamic/sport at standstill.

I still think I’ll go for the CETE on the RSQ3 even with the car booked at PCW, it should give even more aural pleasure with those valves truly fully open.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I agree, I think Cete is a great tool for being able to open valves at will and helps getting a nicer sound at low revs or stationary, which is the main reason why I got it. We all know the sound when ecu makes valves snap open though, unless I am on my own, I rarely go over the 4,000 rpm mark.
Interesting comment here... thought better sound at lower revs was what you were after, it seems PCW mod has drastically change it for you, to the point where you would consider having Cete off.

Do any of you know what is the easiest way to turn off the fake sound, am I only left with a tweak through VCDS?

·
Super Moderator
3,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Don't forget DGG that I didn't have the Sports Exhaust option to start with as our US friends say 'your mileage may vary'. OBD11 has a function for the fake exhaust sound.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Evening All,

I’ve jumped on the bandwagon here and have booked my RSQ3 into PCW too.
Official booking is May however as I’m local Paul at PCW will let me know if there’s any cancellations.

looking forward to getting it done!!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Well done!! Paul must had a wave of bookings following John's post :ROFLMAO:

21 - 40 of 55 Posts