Audi Q3 Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Made the pilgrimage to MK to meet up with Paul at PCW this morning.

Paul has much RS3 experience (systems are externally very similar) and surgically opened the top surface of the tail box in two different places with different shaped cuts and then the centre anti-resonator got the same treatment. The stainless steel plates that have been removed are then beautifully welded back into place - Paul's standard of welding on tissue thin stainless steel is truly exceptional - the man is gifted.

The result?

Valves shut (Cete AVC) its pretty close to standard, valves open and the sound is savage with all the pops and rumbles on overrun. Simply awesome. Paul said he thought it sounded even better than the RS3.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Great feedback John glad you’re happy with the result, would love to hear the before and after.

·
Registered
2021 RSQ3 Sportback Sport Edition, Daytona Grey, C&S pack, red calipers.
91 Posts
Great news, will definitely have to get on the booking wait list!

Did Paul record a before and after as I see his posts regularly on his Insta page? Or if you can post up a video that would be amazing.

·
Super Moderator
3,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
...OK, there in no 'before' and to be fair to you guys it would have been non-referential because mine doesn't have the Sports exhaust option that's standard on Sport Edition or the Vorsprung. Like yours I have the twin valves in the tail-pipes for the rear-most silencer which is the same part on Sports/non Sports however the centre anti-resonator would appear to be different along with you two having the black tail-pipe trims - whereas I have silver chrome.

I'll have a look at a video recording - it's not something I'd do on the drive now :rolleyes:

·
Registered
214 Posts
Hi John. So the PCW mod has effectively tuned your standard exhaust into the current existing "sports exhaust" you find on the sport edition and Vorsprung... Or is yours now louder than these? Also what effect has this (if any) had on your Cete?

Just curious as one of the must haves when I'm looking to upgrade is sports exhaust so would need to be minimum sprort edition thats all...

·
Super Moderator
3,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'd say the PCW update has surpassed the Sports Exhaust option as that's still pretty subdued. The Cete AVC is much, much more noticeable when the valves are open - a savage bark with all the pops and crackles that you get on an 8U but we were denied on the F3 (with the OPFs blamed for it). I was back late last night - a double press of the ESC button to close the valves seemed the decent thing to do as I got close to home, :devilish:

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Back in the 70’s I had a Triumph with unbaffled pipes and, I used to bump start it down the hill from my girlfriends (now my wife) house if was after about 9.00pm then I used to kill the engine about 200yards from home, drop down the short hill and back up 50m and swing into our front path.
Starting it at home wasn't so subtle though but at least it was daytime.

Reactions: Jalees and RSQ3John

·
Registered
111 Posts
I'd say the PCW update has surpassed the Sports Exhaust option as that's still pretty subdued. The Cete AVC is much, much more noticeable when the valves are open - a savage bark with all the pops and crackles that you get on an 8U but we were denied on the F3 (with the OPFs blamed for it). I was back late last night - a double press of the ESC button to close the valves seemed the decent thing to do as I got close to home, :devilish:
Thanks for the update John. Glad you are pleased with it. I wonder what would be the outcome on Sport exhaust/Vorsprung version. Seriously something to consider for the New Year. Looking forward to your video if possible. Out of curiosity, how much did he charged for the surgical intervention?

Whats your take on insurance, any possible implications? I ended up going with NFU as you recommended, second cheapest in my list. Thanks for this

Reactions: RS_Ben

·
Super Moderator
3,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I wonder what the Sport/Vorsprung outcome would be too. Paul normally charges £300 for his efforts which take 2-3 hours, mine was a bit less as there was appointment screw up the previous week - he was straight over it and owned up - can't ask for more. NFU recorded the exhaust change as a note on the policy - well done for going with them we obviously hope we never have to use an insurance company's service - I did back in August and they were completely brilliant.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Thanks John. Seems reasonable… was expecting a lot more. Will get in touch and see what he says. Was the mod something you had seen before and wanted to replicate or was it all purely his recommendation based of what you wanted to achieve. Does he have a sort of list with defined mods you can do and their individual outcome? Had a quick look at his IG, seems he likes to improvise a lot…

·
Registered
111 Posts
Depending on your location, you also take a look at Mod Stock.
Thanks. Where are they based? Have you done anything to your car with them?

·
Registered
Audi RSQ3 Sportback Vorsprung 2021 Mythos Black
24 Posts
Thanks for the update John. Glad you are pleased with it. I wonder what would be the outcome on Sport exhaust/Vorsprung version. Seriously something to consider for the New Year. Looking forward to your video if possible. Out of curiosity, how much did he charged for the surgical intervention?

Whats your take on insurance, any possible implications? I ended up going with NFU as you recommended, second cheapest in my list. Thanks for this
Hi pal, if you do get the mod done at some stage, please let me know what the difference is, something I would consider also, if the outcome was right….
Cheers 👍

·
Registered
111 Posts
I reached out to PCW and apparently we would get the same outcome as the non sport exhaust versions, so the same outcome RSQ3John has achieved. Hoping we can get a video from our man at some point to admire the magical sound

·
Registered
2021 RSQ3 Sportback Sport Edition, Daytona Grey, C&S pack, red calipers.
91 Posts
I’ve booked with Paul at PCW for April. Looking forward to more sound.

CETE valve controller to be ordered in the new year also.

·
Super Moderator
3,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Reactions: Rico-RS

·
Registered
111 Posts
Drop them an email first as they might give you a first time customer discount ;)

·
Super Moderator
3,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
No cabin drone at all!

Reactions: Rico-RS
1 - 20 of 55 Posts