Audi Q3 Owners Forum banner
241 - 260 of 283 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
That is excellent news John. All you need to do is polish it when it returns to get it back to your standard

Reactions: RSQ3John

·
Super Moderator
4,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #242 ·
The irony there being that the night before the fateful event I clay-barred the right side of the RS and machine polished it - looked perfect!

·
Super Moderator
6,659 Posts
Ah, that's what caused it then. I've never clay-barred any of my cars and I've never had an engine fault like yours either. :)

Reactions: DavidS

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
A half cleaned car! :oops:
I’m not sure that is acceptable.
I am firmly in the Gromit camp although I am considering a spring and autumn valet to get it properly clean and waxed for the season - although it’s not major works, I hate doing it.

I attempted to clean the baked on crud inside my wheels while they were covered in tyre change fluid and I painted the rear hubs but it was a nightmare and still looks grim.
Then I found the remains of an excellent wheel cleaner in the garage. I normally just use my safe bike cleaner and had forgotten all about it. Looks like I might have to take them off again. At least I waxed them, for the first time ever.

And, no, I am not changing them to Redstuffs yet - I should still get 5 years at least out of these brand new discs with the Audi pads.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
My Q3 went in for its first service today, 2 years and 15k miles. I had a chance to speak to the service manager who I have known for decades. I asked him about the RSQ3 engine. In 14 years of the engine in various guises he has never had an engine failure. All he had was one RSQ3 8U with a weeping crankshaft oil seal which was easy to replace. He said that the engine is bullet proof providing it is correctly serviced at the Audi recommended intervals. From what he said you must have been unlucky.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Only just catching up, we'll done on the new engine John... You can sleep easy now for sure👍

·
Super Moderator
4,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #247 ·
Thanks all.

Was just looking at the calendar, the original failure and ride on the recovery truck was Saturday 23rd of April, fast approaching two months and have driven the RS for a little over a week in the entire time, my guess is that it will be another couple of weeks at least, probably more.

Well at least I've learned that A5 Coupe and Sportbacks are a nice drive (but waaaay too low), quality, rattle free interiors, the 2022 MIB3 provides Wireless Android Auto - works beautifully. I've also been reminded that the 4.0 TDI Quattro Q5 is another quality interior in an otherwise heavy vehicle, with a diesel engine that's great from a fuel economy perspective but rather coarse in the refinement department - you don't overtake much in one either.

I miss the outrageous performance and wicked character of the RS every trip.

·
Super Moderator
4,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #248 ·
Spoke to the service manager this afternoon, the new engine has arrived at the dealership and has come fully dressed, i.e. as it would be installed on the production line with all the ancillaries attached, result - they are going to start the swap over tomorrow. Maybe the end of the week...

·
Super Moderator
6,659 Posts
Blimey that was quick, fully dressed too! Great result John. (y):)

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
Don't forget to have the log book updated with the new engine serial number

Cheers Spike

Reactions: Gromit and RSQ3John

·
Registered
480 Posts
Coming fully dressed will make it so much easier and quicker for the dealer to do the swap over and there'll be less chance of any issues with not having to swap multiple ancillaries. When I was in the RAF, all our aircraft engines were changed as fully dressed units for the self same reasons and they were all test bed run before installation.
Good to hear things are moving on John and you can do the same very soon(y)

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
I recall my mate who was a night shift ex-BA man saying how awful running up a refitted engine was on a 747 in the middle of the night in the freezing cold rain.
He once got sent out to LA to fit a ‘new’ engine in a stranded plane, which would have been nice except he hated flying.
They used a fork-lift to fit them!

·
Registered
263 Posts
Great news John,the Daytona Beast will soon be back prowling the mean streets of Warwick I hope 🤞🏻

·
Super Moderator
4,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #254 ·
Don't forget to have the log book updated with the new engine serial number

Cheers Spike
As one of my colleagues often says 'everyday is a school day'!

The service manager just called to say the new engine is sat with the transmission attached ready to be refitted, just awaiting a couple of parts - manifold gaskets - I asked about the new engine number and was told that when Audi supply a replacement engine under warranty the new lump assumes the identity of its predecessor with all the history retained on Audi AG systems.

There is a hope of having it back on Friday...I'm cool with it as I unfortunately tested positive for Covid yesterday (feel absolutely fine just a bit coldish). I've had 4x Pfizer jabs too.

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
Good news - not so good news day then.
🤞for Friday.

Reactions: Gromit and RSQ3John

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
As one of my colleagues often says 'everyday is a school day'!

The service manager just called to say the new engine is sat with the transmission attached ready to be refitted, just awaiting a couple of parts - manifold gaskets - I asked about the new engine number and was told that when Audi supply a replacement engine under warranty the new lump assumes the identity of its predecessor with all the history retained on Audi AG systems.

There is a hope of having it back on Friday...I'm cool with it as I unfortunately tested positive for Covid yesterday (feel absolutely fine just a bit coldish). I've had 4x Pfizer jabs too.
I'm impressed Audi were able to stamp the old serial number on the new engine. It will save a lot of explaining when it's time to sell.
Still think I'd ask for it to be physically checked, just to be 100% sure.

Cheers Spike

·
Registered
89 Posts
Do they sit the new engine on a bench and run it until it catches up with the mileage reading on the dash as well 🤣🤣🤣

Reactions: DavidS

·
Super Moderator
4,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #258 ·
Well...I guess they are refitting the engine, the MyAudi App is suggesting that there is probably no oil in it:

Font Electric blue Rectangle Pattern Circle

Or the App could just be making it all up which is also possible.

Reactions: Bulla

·
Registered
96 Posts
Oil pressure fault messages are probably bad for your blood pressure!

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
Well...I guess they are refitting the engine, the MyAudi App is suggesting that there is probably no oil in it:

View attachment 3853

Or the App could just be making it all up which is also possible.
Or they just forgot to connect the sensor wire

Cheers Spike

241 - 260 of 283 Posts