Audi Q3 Owners Forum banner
221 - 240 of 283 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #222 ·
Update!

The dealer managed to get another F3 RSQ3 onsite yesterday and was able to get the two idling side by side on adjacent ramps - as expected the other car was perfect. The dealer dropped the sump off mine and removed two of the main bearing caps to reveal scoring in the bearing surfaces - most likely metallic particles from the original failure (though we can't rule out the possibility that it was there from new - as something caused the camshaft fault in the 1st place).

The dealer sent a report and photos to Audi Warranty who have authorised a replacement engine - which, of course, went to immediate back-order as the importer won't have stock. The order has been elevated to 'Expedited' which will mean that a unit will be called off the Gyor production line. I've only seen this once back when I had a 'proper job' (as opposed to working in IT) and in that case the engine came 'fully dressed' with all the ancillaries attached - i.e. manifolds, turbo etc - as it would be fitted on the production line.

·
Registered
2022 RSQ3 SE in Dayton Grey, C&S, red calipers
439 Posts
Excellent ! What a prolonged struggle to reach a sensible conclusion. I'm very pleased for you.

Mike

Reactions: Menace and RSQ3John

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
Yeee Haaa!
Great news.

You could ask for a battery pack instead and get an immediate upgrade. ;)

·
Super Moderator
4,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #226 ·
Yeee Haaa!
Great news.

You could ask for a battery pack instead and get an immediate upgrade. ;)
You jest of course David! Had a trip down to Bristol on Sunday and was reminded just how many EVs are on the road (beyond the usual raft of bland looking Teslas), Polestar2s and Mustang Mach E especially.

Reactions: DavidS

·
Registered
96 Posts
Very pleased for you. Forget the EV - plenty of time for that electrickey nonsense in a few years time! For now, hopefully you can soon get on and enjoy the RS (once you’ve run it in)

Reactions: RSQ3John

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Congratulations, at long last :):):). A real positive result. Just one minor negative.....running in again.

·
Super Moderator
4,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #229 ·
Running it in again - the previous diesel A5 coupe and the current Q5 TDI have no useful performance so one just drives like Miss Daisy - will be more of the same.:unsure:. The Q5 does drive nice though in a soft and barge like way - being a base none-Sline model there is no low profile tyre malarky to contend with.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I am really delighted that your patience and reasonableness has at last resulted in the reward you deserve.

Fingers crossed the new engine will arrive soon and you will have many years of trouble free motoring post this unfortunate experience.

·
Registered
263 Posts
So happy for you that Audi have finally done the right thing and signed off on the “heart transplant” the Daytona Beast desperately needs. Fingers crossed for a speedy resolution to this sorry tale John 🤞🏻🤞🏻

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
A truck with MFI blacked out on the side will turn up at John’s house with half a dozen crates in it and a set of build instructions badly Google translated from German and a few bits missing.
“There you go mate…you wanted a new engine!”

·
Super Moderator
6,659 Posts
"Open the crate using the crowbar you will find inside..." (Spike Milligan, R.I.P.) :)

·
Registered
2016 RSQ3
803 Posts
It was the only sensible solution. Clearly the original fault has caused long term damage to the engine which is now apparent after stripping down the engine further.
Unfortunately all this does take time and process to work through as the cost of a new engine is not something to be taken lightly and it's harsh to blame the dealer for having to justify this under instruction from Audi.
Hopefully the new engine doesn't take too long and the car feels every bit as good as it used to do🤞
Unfortunately it's a fact of life that things like this happen and you have had more than your share of bad luck so far with this car.
I remember having to wait 8 weeks for a car to have new timing chains fitted while the supplying dealer got Audi to contribute to the cost, when I got it back it ended up being one of the best cars I ever owned 👍

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
I am astounded that any engine works bearing in mind the complexity.
Mind you, how on earth did anyone think up an internal combustion engine? I expect the Romans had one for a few years though.

·
Super Moderator
6,659 Posts
Nah, didn't need 'em. They just coupled up a few more slaves if they ran low on horse-power! 🏃‍♂️🏃‍♂️🐎

·
Super Moderator
4,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #240 ·
221 - 240 of 283 Posts