Audi Q3 Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 283 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well it had to happen to someone sooner or later - and its me!

A few weeks ago I had an engine rattle at idle that mysteriously disappeared when the dealer took a look at it (same visit as the sunroof fix), and the another blip where the check engine light came on with a 'Vehicle drive system fault' error on the dash display, that cleared after the next restart and again the dealer couldn't find anything.

Today, somewhat bizarrely, on the same route as the previous engine light event occurred - it happened again only this time it came with a very noticeable miss-fire and the rattling noise returned. Fortunately I was very close to my destination so limped into the car park. Based on previous experiences, being left to cool down seemed to sort things out - not today.

A careful inspection of the engine bay revealed nothing untoward except the engine oil filler cap appears to have been venting which is curious:
Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Sleeve Bumper

The engine as a sophisticated breather system already so its odd that it oil is being pushed out of the filler cap. Starting the car indicated that the rattle was still there and there was a strong smell of unburnt fuel. Called the Audi Roadside Assistance line which is now run by the AA who were pretty efficient, and on-site in about an hour.

The diagnostic device was plugged in - Bosch kit that provided a wireless link to a hand-held tablet device. The system indicated cylinder problems in 1 & 2, the error messages were ambiguous to be polite and it was quickly deemed to be a dealer job and would need to be recovered on a flat-bed. Being a Saturday afternoon the dealer service department was closed - so vehicle had to be delivered back to my house...positively though Enterprise rent-a-car were on the phone within the hour to arrange delivery of temporary vehicle.

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Plant Car

I wonder if the rattle is an injector..fault - would account for the raw fuel smell. The oil though..no idea.

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
Oh ****.
Hope it’s a minor niggle. 🤞

Reactions: Gromit

·
Registered
2016 RSQ3
803 Posts
From the title John I thought it was a catastrophic failure, so fingers crossed for you its not as bad as what it sounds and is easily sorted.
It seems as though your having all your bad luck with this one after your previous 8U's

·
Registered
258 Posts
Nightmare John, fingers crossed its nothing serious and you have the fallback of dealer warranty so should be fine. Just steer them away from the PCW mod :whistle:

Reactions: RSQ3John

·
Super Moderator
4,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Spike..

·
Super Moderator
6,659 Posts
Hmm... REALLY hope it's nothing expensive but it doesn't sound that trivial either. Good luck! 🤞

·
Registered
263 Posts
Oh no John! So sorry to hear the Daytona Beast is ailing 😞 Hope it’s nothing serious,good luck

·
Registered
248 Posts
Hopefully nothing too serious John🤞
There is a suggestion in the link below it could be the PCV which might also explain the oil misting at the cap. There is a link in the thread to a YouTube video of the fault in a RS3

·
Registered
96 Posts
Sorry to hear of this, John. Hopefully nothing too serious and you get it back soon. Had you historically experienced much oil consumption? You’d expect that the systems would flag a PCV failure / engine check light early to prevent any engine damage (assuming of course it’s PCV related)

·
Super Moderator
4,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sorry to hear of this, John. Hopefully nothing too serious and you get it back soon. Had you historically experienced much oil consumption? You’d expect that the systems would flag a PCV failure / engine check light early to prevent any engine damage (assuming of course it’s PCV related)
Thanks, in common with all the Audi's I've had there is oil consumption that steadily decreases as the mileage get's nearer to 20k, its currently about 17,600, The venting through the oil filler cap though is a new one.

·
Super Moderator
4,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
View attachment 3635
Has Warwick been relocated to France John?
Tis complicated! Was connected via my work laptop and there is a company requirement to connect to the VPN regularly to receive security updates etc. When using the VPN the node is in Toulouse, France where part of IT support is located. I've disconnected now and we are back in UK...

·
Registered
2022 RSQ3 SE in Dayton Grey, C&S, red calipers
439 Posts
Morning John,
Just picked up on the bad news; I've been away fishing all week. The oil appearing is peculiar as are the other symptoms, I hope it is properly and fully diagnosed, and repaired speedily. Your car should be attended to as a priority as it is under warranty. Good Luck.
Mike

·
Super Moderator
4,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks Mike. The AA have a job scheduled between 0800-1000 to collect it and deliver to the local Audi dealer. Really can't fault the service.

·
Premium Member
RSQ3 Sportback F3
86 Posts
Sorry to hear this and hopefully nothing serious after all. Last time I saw oil coming out from oil cap on my friend's car was piston melt due to fuleing of his car went fault. I believe yours is not since you are fully stock engine, and my friend is heavily modified.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Sorry to hear this John and hopefully it gets resolved promptly and the beast back in the road soon.

·
Super Moderator
4,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks chaps, its been recovered back to the dealer and I await an update which I'll share of course.

1 - 20 of 283 Posts