Audi Q3 Owners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As has been the case in previous RS cars I've owned the F3 has had EBC Redstuff disc pads installed:

Rear Pads
EBC Redstuff Brake Pads DP32295C (ebcbrakeshop.co.uk)
Front pads
EBC Redstuff Brake Pads DP32277C (ebcbrakeshop.co.uk)

There are multiple advantages to Redstuffs:

1) Initial 'grab' is much more assertive.
2) Silent - OEM pads, especially if used 'lightly' i.e. urban traffic driving have a well documented tendency to 'glaze' and then squeak loudly
3) Low disc wear - polishes the disc faces like a mirror - replacement front discs are over £600 a pair.
4) Almost no dust when bedded in
5) Better performance when very hot

I note that front pads are the same part number as the B9 RS4 which also has 6 pot calipers but of a different design. I did toy with the rear drilled disc upgrade for the purely aesthetic as fitted to the two previous RSQ3s but decided against it until the vehicle is nearer the end of its warranty.

And this concludes the 'mod' list too...

·
Registered
384 Posts
I've gone OEM, well Brembo pads anyway. Cheaper than the EBCs and I can't see how polishing the discs is adding stopping power? I see that EBC make 2 piece floating discs for the 8U now. Not cheap, mind!

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OEM pads wear the expensive discs away Simon - pre Brexit they were £575 a pair on the 8U - it's what's called a compelling reason to buy! A proper OEM pad set for 8U is about £376 from memory, Redstuffs are a tad over £200. The OEM pads have a propensity to squeak too.

Because Redstuffs don't wear the disk away there is very little dust, and what there is washes away easily. Brake performance is better than OEM, the initial 'grab' is notably more assertive and gets better still when hot.

·
Registered
2016 RSQ3 Exclusive Java green.
206 Posts
I installed the redstuff pads in mine, too early to tell on the wear factor but they do seem.to grab a little better and definitely don't squeek, there seems less dust too.
I have the rears to do yet but can't decide wether to get the kinetix discs or not?

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've had a couple of sets of Kinetix, for purely aesthetic reasons alone they look good - I see post Brexit that they have gone up £20 on Fleabay to £120. It looks like the F3 uses the same disc too.

2015 RS:

2016 RS Performance:

I did do a belt-n-braces job and paint the hubs with BBQ paint:

Reactions: Mr c and -Ju-

·
Registered
206 Posts
Thats the main reason I haven't bought them yet as they have gone up to £120 and being a yorkshireman I have to make sure they don't drop back down again lol
I have some high temperature acid etch primer spray as recommended from the other forum ready to use as and when 🤔

·
Registered
384 Posts
The Brembo pads, same make as the calipers, were about £160. They do an X version now which are around £200 or a little less and have enhanced stopping.

My discs aren't far off shot anyway, so they're only gonna be good for a few more months. They still have visible dimples, though, which I'm using as wear indicators.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts

·
Registered
Audi RSQ3 (65), Mythos Black, Leather Diamond Stitched Seats, reverse camera carbon interior pack
13 Posts
I've gone OEM, well Brembo pads anyway. Cheaper than the EBCs and I can't see how polishing the discs is adding stopping power? I see that EBC make 2 piece floating discs for the 8U now. Not cheap, mind!

Hi,

Been reading this thread, what the advantage of these discs over the OEM discs? regarding the discs for the 8U,

Thanks

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It will be weight. Those EBC rotors have aluminium hubs. The standard 8u RSQ3 discs are boat anchor heavy - those EBCs are only another £450 more than the std items which aren't exactly a bargain in the 1st place.

·
Registered
Audi RSQ3 (65), Mythos Black, Leather Diamond Stitched Seats, reverse camera carbon interior pack
13 Posts
It will be weight. Those EBC rotors have aluminium hubs. The standard 8u RSQ3 discs are boat anchor heavy - those EBCs are only another £450 more than the std items which aren't exactly a bargain in the 1st place.
Ahh okay I see! No point in getting them then I guess, I like the waves effect of the OEM ones anyway to be fair and I've sprayed them with bbq paint like you suggested and they're being fitted tomorrow.

My rear pads and discs are OEM but they're only 30% worn and the discs looks like they have a lot of life left so I'm not sure if I should get the Kinetix discs and redstuff rear pads put on now or hold out for a while. I would prefer to have a whole set front and back put on at the same time tbh but we shall see.

Attached is a pic of my 65 plate RSQ3 Mythos Black, diamond stitched leather, red callipers, reverse camera, 1 prev owner with full audi history. 51k on the clock and purchased at £22k - Sadly doesn't have a pan roof but with all the options and it being facelift I had to go for it. The combination of this silver and black goes so well for me. Would be happy to hear your opinions on this purchase! :)

P.S. sorry that I comment randomly on different threads! Been doing so much reading on this forum :)

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Looks great! Thanks for sharing the pic - I have great memories of the diamond stitched seats in my 2015 RS - they were simply fabulous. The Kinetix discs are really just an aesthetic choice - I have the same conundrum with the F3, drilled items and the front and plain items are the rear - I like symmetry! I've talked myself out of swapping the rears (same disc as the 8U) because its just 4 months old. It's totally up to you....I'm mindful that pre-Brexit the discs were £20 cheaper....

·
Registered
13 Posts
Looks great! Thanks for sharing the pic - I have great memories of the diamond stitched seats in my 2015 RS - they were simply fabulous. The Kinetix discs are really just an aesthetic choice - I have the same conundrum with the F3, drilled items and the front and plain items are the rear - I like symmetry! I've talked myself out of swapping the rears (same disc as the 8U) because its just 4 months old. It's totally up to you....I'm mindful that pre-Brexit the discs were £20 cheaper....
I think I'll leave the rear discs and pads until they are actually due then.

The seats are amazing right! Its gives it that modern car feel and keeps it in date with whats around in todays interiors..I am thinking of getting the Autohold Retrofitted as I had that in my pre facelift Q3 (TDI Quattro) and it was amazing.. Problem is its costs way more to retro fit it now as a pose to adding it as an option in the factory. Anything I get done to the car will be posted in this forum :)

Also got someone from Integrated Automotive coming to install Carplay for me next weekend so will update you on that.

One more thing I would really like is to have these alloys to match the car more but they cannot be found anywhere online!

·
Registered
206 Posts
The autohold is a breeze to fit as long as you get the correct switch, its then a simple case of turning it on with vcds or similar.
I have those alloys on mine, I think they were an my17 spec change so were only available on the last of the 8U RSQ3's

·
Registered
13 Posts
The autohold is a breeze to fit as long as you get the correct switch, its then a simple case of turning it on with vcds or similar.
I have those alloys on mine, I think they were an my17 spec change so were only available on the last of the 8U RSQ3's
Hi Ju, thanks for your input. I saw your thread about retrofitting it! Are you still having issues after reversing and it doesn't work? Unfortunately I'm no good with retrofitting, the most I have ever done is take door cards and head units out lol so will have to pay the labour costs etc as I don't fancy breaking any clips etc.

Im confused as to what the difference between hill hold button and the auto hold button is.

That being said if there is anyone in this forum that is experienced with retrofitting these things and would like to do it at a price i would be happy to consider! Always prefer someone who is passionate about the car as well as experienced in retrofitting with their own car :)

I have been quoted £500 including parts and fitting for just the auto hold is that a reasonable price?

·
Registered
206 Posts
I think the reverse hold issue i have isn't related to the autohold as the issue was there with the handbrake and reverse before the retrofit. I will get that looked into at some point at the dealers once restrictions ease.
As for charging £500 for the job.....someone's having your pants down with that. Supply fit and code shouldn't be more than £100 tbh, it won't take more than 20 mins!

·
Registered
13 Posts
I think the reverse hold issue i have isn't related to the autohold as the issue was there with the handbrake and reverse before the retrofit. I will get that looked into at some point at the dealers once restrictions ease.
As for charging £500 for the job.....someone's having your pants down with that. Supply fit and code shouldn't be more than £100 tbh, it won't take more than 20 mins!
Thanks for informing! I'll look elsewhere to get that installed!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts