Audi Q3 Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright Guys,

Was just wondering as I can't find the exact details, on the F3 RSQ3 is the Haldex system still Gen5?

I know on the new S3 its the newer Gen6 system from the new Golf R, was wondering what version is in the F3 RSQ3 as it was right on the border of both systems.

Also anyone in an F3 RSQ3 if it is a Haldex Gen 5 have you had any issues with it or do you see any coming as I know there were some issues with needing to keep them serviced fairly regulary.

Also if you know the default power outputs to the axles?

Cheers

·
Registered
381 Posts
According to the Haldex Repair guys at Auto Fault finder it should be a gen 5 still.

However Audi do seem to change the Haldex gen mid version, so might be worth giving the guys at Haldex repairs a call to confirm. In my experience they are really helpful.

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
I've not seen anything.

On the F3 RSQ3 in the RS1/RS2 settings we can adjust the 'sensitivity' of the Haldex rather having it in the default passive state of only being activated when the front wheels are starting to rotate faster than the rears.

According to Haldex Repairs Haldex Repairs Gen 5 page the F3 RSQ3 has a Gen 5 pump.

The consensus view from the various forums that cover Haldex is that the later Haldex versions that only have a gauze filter on the front of the pump is that they are reliable IF you ignore the manufacturer service recommendation. It seems wise, at 20,000 mile intervals to remove the pump (requires to 'O' rings) and clean the gauze filter of debris and then refill with fresh oil.

Even without the RS1/RS2 settings the Haldex is going to be busy as the front wheels alone can't turn 480Nm/400PS into traction.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for that guys.

I've had bad experiences with Gen 5 haldex units in Volvo XC60s and XC90s - took an age to cut in and made the cars feel a bit bad handling wise.

I'm guessing a lot of that is down to the AWD controller unit and its mapping as well I guess.

Shame it doesn't have the Gen 6 from the new Audi S3/Golf R which are I'm guessing on the same platform . .

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
Yeah - well what can we say - Volvo!

In an Audi RSQ3 - you'll be mostly unaware it's there other than not experiencing a loss of traction on tarmac and being able to get where you need to go when off it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh thats pretty good to know they've got it more sorted than Volvo.

Shame they couldn't get the Gen 6 into the RSQ3 but I guess that'll be for the facelift!

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
Just been curious tonight - I can't find anything on a 'Gen 6' Haldex - Gen 5 is the latest version.

Haldex Traction was sold to Borgwarner who have given it the rather natty name of "Driveline Disconnect Coupling" https://www.borgwarner.com/technologies/awd-cross-axle-systems

Found an interesting video here that steps through the different versions:

·
Registered
70 Posts
Thanks for the video John very informative. I’m guessing both models of the 8U Q3 run the Gen5 Haldex? Is it also fitted to your Q3 model I wonder? 🤔

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
Hi Jason, some sources say that all 8U have Gen5, however some owners would appear to have Gen4 with the separate filter. The grey beast has Gen5. Keep safe mate.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Hi Jason, some sources say that all 8U have Gen5, however some owners would appear to have Gen4 with the separate filter. The grey beast has Gen5. Keep safe mate.
Thinking about it,that would make sense on the Gen4,when I had my Haldex pump replaced under warranty last year,it was just before my service. I had my guy change the oil again anyway,and replace the filter too. TPS let him down,repeatedly supplying the filter,then said it doesn’t have one. He eventually sourced one,via EBay from Poland🙄 Cheers mate,you keep safe too.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts