Audi Q3 Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

You may remember me from my rambling RRE vs q3 dilemma post. Well I finally took all your helpful advice and my wife's who told me an Evouque is for flash wannabes and signed on the dotted line today. I pick up an S line Daytona Grey on Saturday.

The reason for today's post is to ask you all your opinion on the optional services the dealership tried to drain me for and if you have taken up on them yourselves and or what you think of them. I have to tell them by Friday:

Gap insurance at £600? They suggested that everyone takes this but according to my insurace company I don't need this and any way if I do can get it from numerous others for about £100!

Scratch insurance at £600? Apparently they will repair all normal wear and tear scratches for free with this. Seems a bit over the top.

Servicing plan for £50 per month ? I only do about £8k miles a year so I'm wondering wether I would be better off just paying for the service when they are due at half the annual price of the premium?

Some kind of paintwork polish and protector for over £1k? Apparently any bird that tries to poo on the car will be stopped in their tracks and flung against the nearest Evouques windscreen instead thus protecting the paintwork (I may have made that last bit up) but you get the gist.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
18 Posts
All a con in my opinion.
1) gap insurance.....I'd go for it but you can get it a lot cheaper online
2) scratch insurance...£600?????? Seems expensive. Just had a dent taken out side of my car which cost £65. That's a lot of scratches for £600
3) service plan for£50 a month...again that's £600 a year. A service shouldn't cost that much and if you're on a long life service, with 8000 miles a year, you'll prob only go for a service every 2 years. Cheaper doing it at the time, and playing oe dealership off another
4) paintwork protection. I've read a lot of posts about this and te true cost of te product, which is about £50. Most posts advise to te a detailercto do it, it'd be ave the price ad a much better job.
All te products try try and sell you are high margin products for te dealership. They!re playing on you anxiety about your expensive purchase but can all be bought for a fraction of the price online.
I personally would decline them all.

On a secondary note, I enjoyed reading your dilemma over the Evoque and q3. Going thru the same thing mupyself and just cancelled my Evoque order this morning. Decided although I like te Evoque and enjoy the drive, it's not worth the extra cash( as you can't get any discount on them). Couple that with the £3.5k my Audi dealership offering off a new q3, and I've got some ard thinking to do. Toying with the q5 also as like memory seats(q3doesn't do them) and that te s lie plus gives you better value for high spec cars

·
Registered
113 Posts
IMO Gap insurance can be bought cheaper else where, and in the 1st year any normal insurance company will have a new for old clause, after that its probably a bit of a gamble but will the car depreciate that much?Scratch insurance? never heard of that before, but i don't think Chips Away are that expensive if yoy do have a scratch.Service Plan, why don't you save £50 a month then use it when you have a service, i'm sure that at the end of the year if you have the car serviced you'll still have £400 in your savings account which if the worst was to happen would pay for a scratch to be repaired or body work to be professionaly polished.I guess from the above you can tell i didn't buy any extras from the dealership, i did have gap on my last car, which Audi supplied only after matching a quote i supplied to them. Luckily i didn't need it.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Gap insurance maybe £150 max through a reputable broker, Autoglym I got thrown in and it was worth it but not at anywhere what you are being quoted. You can buy everything you need for £50 max and an afternoon soon after you pick up the car. Just my opinion but its commission padding gone mad. Apologies for the language but the rest is bollocks and you are better off saving your money.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
You're dealer can only offer these add on's, they can't advise you to take them and should only be showing you the benefits of these products. Any finance product cannot be put towards you as a must have and they shouldn't offer you advice either due to all the miss selling thats been going on in the past.

I signed a form stating i had been shown these services but declined them and audi cannot be held responsible for anything that happens due to my decisions.

For what it's worth i got a 3 year gap policy for £129 which offers £17500 of cover over 3 years. It's transferable as well to other vehicles. These policy's should be dirt cheap as they only pay out on a total loss claim which we all hope never happens but give piece of mind.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all for your help. It seems that in conclusion Gap and autoglym are worth having but sourced independently at a far cheaper price. I suspected they were just trying to make back the £2.2k discount they have me on the car price. In fairness to them the sales technique was not overtly pushy.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Hi James

I agree with the above comments- there you are with your pride and joy and they are offering you the tools to keep it like new. Very tempting until you sit back and take it all in, and look at other options, which you have done.

It would be useful if you could add your signature, so that we can see in more detail what you have purchased. I have copied the link below for you.

http://www.q3ownersclub.co.uk/forum/welcome-to-the-site_topic337.html

Saturday is only a few days away- suspect it feels likes ages at the moment. Hope you enjoy it.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for that will add signature later. Saturday feels even longer away at the moment as I'm currently stood at a bus stop as I sold my car privately a few days ago!

·
Registered
485 Posts
That's a coincidence. I sold mine 6 weeks before the Q3 came, but we managed with one car during that time.
How are you getting to the garage? The dealer came to my house to pick my wife and I up so that we could drive off in it together. Audi garages can be very obliging.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I would say that managing with one car with children to drop off at grandparents etc and jobs to get too at opposite ends of the area is a nightmare for my wife and I and could not do it for longer than one week. However you feel you have to try and sell it privately due to the lame trade in offers you get offered which undervalue the value. So I guess the short term hardship is worth getting a fair price for your outgoing car.

Poole Audi claim to be far too busy to come and pick you up! They wouldn't even do it so I could sign the paperwork and pay the deposit! "Busiest Audi dealers in the south" so they keep telling me.

·
Registered
45 Posts
</font>Hi James,<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

</font>To be fair to Poole Audi,whenever Icalled in, they were always extremely busy and I have even commented
to them that I would hate to work there as it's far, far too busy,and so they delivered mine!

</font>

</font>Check out their ‘About Us' web page http://www.pooleaudi.co.uk/about-us/</font>
where they state ‘<i style="mso-bidi-font-style: normal;">we always strive to ensure our customers' convenience comes ahead of
our own. This is reflected in our customer satisfaction scores' [/i]... and send
your salesman an email suggesting it would be far more convenient if they picked
you up for collection, etc. Copy your email to the Sales Manager, all
their email addresses are on their website.
You may also wish to remind them of this link http://www.q3ownersclub.co.uk/forum/audi-dealer-reviews_forum11.html</font>
and that you are a very active member! .......and
don't forget to remind them of your wife who must have suffered **** during
your Q3 deliberations and certainly deserves that big bunch of flowers that you
trust Poole Audi will not forget to place in the boot for your very wise and understanding wife!

</font>

</font>Good luck and happy Q3 ownership!

</font>p.s. hope you don't come too far East as littleroom for two
Qs.......

</font>

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks 14aq3 for your feedback. Good to hear from another Poole Audi customer.

I don't want to give the impression that they have given me bad customer service as they have not done anything wrong. It's more that they just do the basics and no more because they are "sooooo busy". I'm not denying that they are busy I can see it myself when I go in I just expected a little more from a premium brand dealership.

However I have yet to pick up the car so will refrain from any further comments regarding them until I have been through the most important part of the process. I will put a balanced and fair review at the link you gave me after I have collected the car.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts