Audi Q3 Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just joined so here we go .....A3 (58) due for change soon so went to see Q3 in showroom (1 day only) some time ago. 1st impressions quite mixed - too many people / too little time. Silver SE (lots of S line kit +) came in last week and so went yesterdayto view. Ended up with extended test drive inblack SE diesel 177 S-tronic(+extras) which had just been prepared. After drive, generallyfeel much better about car. Main positives: not crashy with 18" wheelsand standard suspension - think cornering is ok. Only driven autos mainly in USA and not too impressed, but 7 spdS-tronic is very very smooth with willing engine. Negatives: Didn't like small rear view mirror which needs really accurate placement. MMI controls on fascia are not the best but most common ops can be made via wheel. Compared to overall size with current A3 sportback, where has all the space gone? Its not any smaller but really very little in it. Overall I think I may well order soon, but can't get it out of my head that for £35k or so, I could get a very decent quattro TT (even though I'm told I'm too old!) or A4/5, even Q5. Estimated delivery date for S Line diesel with extras given yesterday in Edinburgh was April (for order placed next week).

·
Registered
21 Posts
Interesting observations. My experience was much the same and in the end I did not order.

I was also looking at the new A6 and the facelifted A5 sportback, for much the same money as the Q3 specced to a similar level.

In the end I ordered an Evoque Pure which had full leather interior, heated front seats, cruise control, 4WD, hill descent control, touch screen MMI, DAB radio, etc. etc. as well as a 2.2 litre motor and all as standard. I added only the panoramic roof and front parking sensors to round the package off to my satisfaction.

I'm guessing this is heresy on this forum, but I'm not bothered - I wish the Q3 had just had that extra something and for me anyway, it did not.

For my money, the Evoque was a better deal for me. I know that every one here that gets a Q3 will most likely enjoy them immensely and I sincerely hope they do, it's still a very capable motor and will do well for Audi.

But its just not for me.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Looks like you have got yourself a good car and nicely spec'd. I am sure the Evoque will serve you well. I am upgrading from a Mazda 6 which I have found to be very reliable. This is my first Audi and I always wanted an SUV. The Q5 was too big for me. The Q3 ticks all the right boxes for my needs. Time will tell.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think we've travelled a similar road ESL. I have looked at a number of Evoques but yet to test drive one. My original spec was very similar to the S-line Q3 TDI, but when I revisited their website some time ago now to configure a Pure with xenon light package, the latter had become unavailable. According to alocal dealer the group making the units went bust and they were trying to sort it out asap. As a result all xenon units were being earmarked for Prestige models. This put me off since a 190 auto Prestige with sunroof (obligatory?) sits a little shy of40k. Admittedly, it looks the part, has full sat-nav and better off road credentials than the Q3. (Best bit for me would likely be the memory seats!)However, I don't think it's for me somehow. Also, potentially alonger waiting list than for the Audi - although I wouldn't bet on it! If I waseven moderatelyconsidering off-roading howeverit would be a no brainer.I think like you that whatever model people choose, they are very likely to be satisfied overall. It really does come down to personal choice / costs. I'll likely stick with my potential Q3 but wish you all the bestwith your LRE.

·
Registered
21 Posts
My current motor is an A3 and the move to a Q3 seemed like a logical one to me, but when I got inside one, well, it sort of wasn't. I thought I would stay with Audi so looked at the A5 and A6. This will be a company car so it's the tax that bothers me more than the outright cost and tax wise, the A5 would have been the better bet.

By the time I specced the Q3 up to the level I wanted, which was basically TDI Quattro and a few other more trivial extras, the BIK tax was up to Evoque levels, mainly due to the lack of a diesel manual Quattro for the Q3 at the moment. So when it came to a choice...

Ah well, I'm lost to Audi forever, my next choice will be in three years time and I'm sure the Q3 will have matured into a more complete model range by then. I'll also be looking closely at whatever the Q5 has morphed into as well.

·
Registered
3 Posts
After 20yrs of buying audi's & 9 cars, was planning to replace TT3.2 with Q3. Registered for brochure/info early this year & asked dealer, but still waiting........ Registered for same info on Evoque & got in fee weeks, personal invite to lauch, drinks, food, extended test drive, free off-road session @ LR experience & invite to Halewood to see being made.

Still not seen q3, but dissapointed at mini-me q7/q5 looks & parts-bin interior. Am sure it will be great to own & am sure those that buy will love it, but why 10yr + old heater controls from a3, when a1 ones so good? Also, trying too hard to impress with white/orange press cars. Ordered Evoque as amazingly good drive & Audi not valuing its customers. Costs lits more than q3, but add on extras & only £4k difference. Worth it for great drive & drop dead looks - hope dont regrest RR reliability!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Small typo in that last post of mine. Meant to say that I'm NOT lost to Audi, and my next choice could well be one of the aforementioned A or Q models.

Still quite like the Q3 in fact - just not enough to actually get one. Also hoping that with the Evo being mostly Freelander, it won't have the legacy Rangie reliability issues but will instead have the Freelander's trustiness. Similarly, as the Q3 has plenty of Tiguan DNA, it should be Ok too.

With any luck we can all compare experiences over time.
Edited by: ESL

·
Registered
13 Posts
Ratbo said:
...Still not seen q3, but dissapointed at mini-me q7/q5 looks & parts-bin interior. Am sure it will be great to own & am sure those that buy will love it, but why 10yr + old heater controls from a3, when a1 ones so good?

I totally agree with your comments.The same heater controls as my A3 were a bit of a shock - the A1's are lovely, so why not use those. Also I didn't like the MMI controls being built into the head unit on the dash, I much prefer it being down on the console.

The main thing I noticed when I got in the car was that it felt smaller than my current A3 Sportback.When I commented on how I hit my head on the door frame when looking back at an angled junction, the salesman said "well you can lower the seat you know" to which I replied it was at its lowest setting, he said nothing.

The Q3 is a lovely car, butits just too small for me and overpriced.I am going to have a long wait before I can change my car. I just can't chance the Evoque as I don't trust LR reliability (brother on his 3 Discovery and reliability not getting any better), so its either going to be the new A3 Sportback when its here in 2013 ish or facelift Q5 sometime next year.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Well Picked up my Q3 yesterday from Hitchin.Having been driving a VW Passat CC for the last 2 years I was worried about the size of the Q3.However its a bit of a Tardis inside as once I was driving it I could have been in a much bigger car.First impressions are very positive. Build quality is tip top and drive is very good.OK its not that cheap and does not have the looks of the Evoque but thats not a bad thing!Will update once I have some real miles under my belt!Rich

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Richb said:
Well Picked up my Q3 yesterday from Hitchin.Having been driving a VW Passat CC for the last 2 years I was worried about the size of the Q3.However its a bit of a Tardis inside as once I was driving it I could have been in a much bigger car.First impressions are very positive. Build quality is tip top and drive is very good.Rich
More interesting comments. Would be very keen to hear how you get on over the next week or so, especially if auto diesel.</font>

·
Registered
11 Posts
Well signed on the dotted line today!!!! After months of considering various cars finally settled for the Q3. Had intended to go for the lowest price manual model, but then decided would prefer 4 wheel drive. Test drove the petrol automatic and really liked that, but today tried the diesel automatic which we've opted for due to the better mileage. Gone for extras including sun roof, sports seats in grey leather/alcantara, privacy glass, and full body paint in glacier white. Delivery anticipated earliest March. Also purchased gap insurance and managed to get autoglym protection thrown in after some haggling!Much more than we intended to spend, so lets hope its worth it!

·
Registered
264 Posts
penrob said:
Well signed on the dotted line today!!!! After months of considering various cars finally settled for the Q3. Had intended to go for the lowest price manual model, but then decided would prefer 4 wheel drive. Test drove the petrol automatic and really liked that, but today tried the diesel automatic which we've opted for due to the better mileage. Gone for extras including sun roof, sports seats in grey leather/alcantara, privacy glass, and full body paint in glacier white. Delivery anticipated earliest March. Also purchased gap insurance and managed to get autoglym protection thrown in after some haggling!Much more than we intended to spend, so lets hope its worth it!
out of curiosity what did you pay for gap insurance they quoted me £400 so when i said too much they then went to £200, maybe i should have tried agin but settled on 200 tdi quattro s/ tronic . really pleased with car

·
Registered
563 Posts
Gap insurance is a **** of a lot cheaper online.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yes guess we paid over the top at £399, but when we got the protection thrown in we decided to go for it as that was supposedly worth £350

·
Registered
563 Posts
penrob said:
Yes guess we paid over the top at £399, but when we got the protection thrown in we decided to go for it as that was supposedly worth £350

I would try and get a refund, GAP insurance would be less than £200 and Supagard can be bought from Ebay for around £20 - £30.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Had a quote from Audi for gap insurance £595 but when I told them I could get it for £150 on the net they said they can match it . So why try and sell me it for £595 ?

·
Registered
264 Posts
more money in audi / salesman pocket . they must have to start high and see how low you can push them , if your buying on finance they say its only a few of pounds per month extra and hope you fall for it

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have put a $1000 deposit on a Q3 140 TDI as they are rare as hens teeth here in Australia. My wife wants a RR Evoque 2WD but they don't know when they will launch that model down under. We have been told end June/early July. No price or spec for that model yet, I am trying my hardest to get the bread knife to agree to a Q3 with a few extras. The car I have held arrives in Brisbane on the 15th May. I have given her until Monday afternoon to work out if she can get a RR Evoque and a price with spec or I will sign the paperwork tomorrow afternoon. I want the Q3 for build quality.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts