Audi Q3 Owners Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody experienced an "ESC Fault" error message or any error message related to the ESC/ESP system?

·
Super Moderator
6,223 Posts
Nor me - better get the dealer to plug in and check the fault logs.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The reason I ask the original question is because I have been having a consistent problem with the "ESC fault" warning indication.<div style="font-family: Helvetica; font-size: medium; line-height: normal; orphans: 2; text-align: -webkit-auto; widows: 2;">
<div style="font-family: Helvetica; font-size: medium; line-height: normal; orphans: 2; text-align: -webkit-auto; widows: 2;">In order to give you some background,I do not live in Europe, but in Tokyo, Japan. I live in an apartment building that has a similar parking system as in the Youtube video below (these types of parking systems are very common in Japan). Please see video first so you can understand my explanation and the circumstances.<div style="font-family: Helvetica; font-size: medium; line-height: normal; orphans: 2; text-align: -webkit-auto; widows: 2;">
<div style="font-family: Helvetica; font-size: medium; line-height: normal; orphans: 2; text-align: -webkit-auto; widows: 2;">(see scene at about the 45 second mark)http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPZxv--y85w<div style="font-family: Helvetica; font-size: medium; line-height: normal; orphans: 2; text-align: -webkit-auto; widows: 2;">
<div style="font-family: Helvetica; font-size: medium; line-height: normal; orphans: 2; text-align: -webkit-auto; widows: 2;">I bought a Q3 about 6 months ago and discovered the ECS fault message after about 2 or 3 weeks. I wasn't sure what was causing the warning indication to appear, but it seemed to come on right after I rotated the car on the turntable (as in the video). When parking, I drive onto the turntable, put the gear into "P" and engage the parking brake. I leave the engine running while I get out to rotate the car to get in or out of the parking. This is when the warning showed up. The warning indication remains on for a while (turning engine on/off does not turn it off), but eventually it turns off after driving around for a few kilometers.<div style="font-family: Helvetica; font-size: medium; line-height: normal; orphans: 2; text-align: -webkit-auto; widows: 2;">
<div style="font-family: Helvetica; font-size: medium; line-height: normal; orphans: 2; text-align: -webkit-auto; widows: 2;">I took it to the dealer on 5 or 6 separate occasions (every time after the warning came on) and they claimed to have replaced various parts such as the ABS computer, electronic parking brake computer, yaw sensors, etc. None of these things resolved the problem. <div style="font-family: Helvetica; font-size: medium; line-height: normal; orphans: 2; text-align: -webkit-auto; widows: 2;">
<div style="font-family: Helvetica; font-size: medium; line-height: normal; orphans: 2; text-align: -webkit-auto; widows: 2;">Eventually, the dealer brought over a mechanic to my home and he connected his PC to my car to see what was causing the problem. According to my understanding, even when the car is in "P" with the parking brake engage (i.e. the car is not in motion) the lateral sensors are still functioning and when the car is being rotated on the turntable the sensors trigger the ESC fault. The dealer also brought over 3 other Q3s and tested them on the turntable. All had the exact same problem (under the same conditions) at virtually the same moment. I asked the dealer to bring over different model cars to check if other models have the same problem. They brought over an A5, Q5, A4 (sedan and Avant), and I tested a TT, which they gave me as a loaner. None of these models had this problem.<div style="font-family: Helvetica; font-size: medium; line-height: normal; orphans: 2; text-align: -webkit-auto; widows: 2;">
After holding my car for over a month the dealer finally came back to me and told me this is normal and there is no problem. They told me to turn off the engine before rotating the car to prevent the sensors from (functioning and) triggering the ECS fault warning. I was a bit surprised at their conclusion and the fact that they did not fix the problem and their insistence that this is normal behavior of the system despite other models not showing the same behavior.<div style="font-family: Helvetica; font-size: medium; line-height: normal; orphans: 2; text-align: -webkit-auto; widows: 2;">
<div style="font-family: Helvetica; font-size: medium; line-height: normal; orphans: 2; text-align: -webkit-auto; widows: 2;">Is this a potential recall? They still haven't given me a detailed explanation of what the ESC/ESP computer or sensors are actually doing or thinking. They keep saying that this is normal and there is no problem.<div style="font-family: Helvetica; font-size: medium; line-height: normal; orphans: 2; text-align: -webkit-auto; widows: 2;">
<div style="font-family: Helvetica; font-size: medium; line-height: normal; orphans: 2; text-align: -webkit-auto; widows: 2;">Any thoughts?

·
Registered
563 Posts
Hi

You could get the dealer to test the A1 or the new 2013 A3 as they are all basically the same car as the Q3.

It does sound like one the cars sensorsdoesn't like being turned around with the engine running so it does make sense to turn the engine off, Audi could probably fix this problem with a software update,if they do is another matter.

BTW, love the turntable and parking.

Edited by: Del

1 - 5 of 5 Posts