Audi Q3 Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I’m looking to get some advice on my 2015 Q3 1.4 TFSI. It was purchased from Portsmouth Audi as an approved used car about 5 weeks ago. Everything has been fine up until now.

When I started the car yesterday the emissions light came on. There was a slight rumble whilst idling but nothing major. As it is under warranty for 12 months I decided to drive the car straight to Chingford Audi. I was then told that they would not be able to book it in to be diagnosed until the end of May and after that it won’t be able to be repaired until July due to a their current backlog. Absolutely ridiculous. I decided to book it in for now but I will have to complain to Audi HQ as it just isn’t acceptable to have the car off the road for 3 months.

After reading about the emissions light online I did think it might be due to dirty fuel as I had filled up the car with petrol from Asda last weekend. Their advice was to add some premium unleaded and try and put my foot down to get rid of the old petrol. I drove to a BP garage and filled it up. About 10 miles later the EPC (Electronic Power Control) light came on and the car felt like it was in limp mode. It was juddering heavily when pulling off and had low revs around 40mph. I managed to get the car home but haven’t driven it since.

Does anyone know what the problem might be? With a pregnant wife and hospital trips to do I am half tempted to take it to a local indie but if it ends up costing a lot then obviously I’d rather get Audi to sort it. Any advice would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Has this only started now? Did you notice anything in the first five weeks of ownership? Have you always used Asda fuel? I have always used Shell normal fuel as I have never has any problems with it. There could be a number of reasons why this is happening, water in the fuel, bad fuel, throttle body dirty, fuel filter, sensor fault etc. If you can find someone with a VCDS or OBD11 diagnostic tool then you can access the error information and hopefully locate the fault. Your local Audi dealer can not just brush you off as you have a warranty with them that they have to honour in a reasonable timescale. Contact Audi HQ and complain in the strongest terms. In the short term I suggest using an engine cleaner that you put in the fuel tank then fill up with Shell. At least it will clean the innards.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes this problems has only just started now and has been fine in the first five weeks of ownership. I have never used Asda fuel but it was the closest fuel station to me as I was about to run out. Thanks for your advice. I totally agree that Audi need to sort it quicker than in the timeframe they have suggested.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey guys,

I’m looking to get some advice on my 2015 Q3 1.4 TFSI. It was purchased from Portsmouth Audi as an approved used car about 5 weeks ago. Everything has been fine up until now.

When I started the car yesterday the emissions light came on. There was a slight rumble whilst idling but nothing major. As it is under warranty for 12 months I decided to drive the car straight to Chingford Audi. I was then told that they would not be able to book it in to be diagnosed until the end of May and after that it won’t be able to be repaired until July due to a their current backlog. Absolutely ridiculous. I decided to book it in for now but I will have to complain to Audi HQ as it just isn’t acceptable to have the car off the road for 3 months.

After reading about the emissions light online I did think it might be due to dirty fuel as I had filled up the car with petrol from Asda last weekend. Their advice was to add some premium unleaded and try and put my foot down to get rid of the old petrol. I drove to a BP garage and filled it up. About 10 miles later the EPC (Electronic Power Control) light came on and the car felt like it was in limp mode. It was juddering heavily when pulling off and had low revs around 40mph. I managed to get the car home but haven’t driven it since.

Does anyone know what the problem might be? With a pregnant wife and hospital trips to do I am half tempted to take it to a local indie but if it ends up costing a lot then obviously I’d rather get Audi to sort it. Any advice would be much appreciated.
Hi 4RINGS
If the vehicle is Audi Aproved it should have Audi Assistance, I would give them a call, before any more damage is done.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Pardon my ignorance but what is Audi Assistance and how do I access it? I wasn’t told about it when I purchased the car. Thanks

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Admittedly I was out of used warranty but Eastbourne Audi did similar to me when my brake warning came on. £240 to diagnose but at least 3 weeks before they would/could look at it.
Got it checked and fixed by an indie I had never used in two days for £250 including the new abs sensor on the rear offside.
They are useless at customer service.
Hope you can get it sorted quickly as it’s not acceptable.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
The emissions light can turn on if there is poor emission quality or the fuel filler cap is not closed properly. The EPC light points at a number of areas including the throttle body. I still think that this could be a fuel issue. However, I would not drive the car until it has been seen by your Audi dealer. If you have a dealer warranty then you should have Audi assistance. Still have a go at Audi HQ, this might be a problem which needs addressing sooner rather than later.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
I guess they wouldn’t be keen on a warranty claim if you ignored a warning light so you end up between a rock and a hard place.
If Assist can’t or won’t help, for peace of mind I would either get a code reader or try and find a local indie that would tell you what the true fault is.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I’ve just checked and the fuel cap was closed properly. Started it up again and this time it’s just the emissions light that’s on and not the EPC light.

I popped open the bonnet and there is a loud continuous tapping sound coming from the engine and a very strong smell of fuel.

·
Super Moderator
2,878 Posts
I always thought that indicator light was 'check engine'?

·
Super Moderator
2,878 Posts
I stand corrected!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
To be fair though, when you do a Google image search on 'Audi engine light' the same icon appears.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Brilliant, thanks guys.

The technician is coming out this afternoon so hopefully I can get a bit more clarity on what the problem might be.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Good news - turns out it was a dodgy spark plug. Luckily the technician had a full set with him so I asked him to replace all four.

Unfortunately they aren't covered under warranty but I'm not too bothered as it was only £70 for the parts and I didn't have to pay any labour. Just glad to have it sorted now and not in July!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Spoke too soon! It’s still not running right. It was fine for a few miles then I put my foot all the way down on the throttle and there was a rumble and the light flashed on again. Then I stopped at the traffic lights and it went off. Did the same thing and it happened again. The stop/start function doesn’t work now either so must be something to do with the throttle?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Give them a call back 4RINGS, probably a coil pack breaking down ?

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
The problem I have isolating the fault is that it occurred after you filled up with Asda fuel. Is this coincidence or is this generating the fault condition?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts