Audi Q3 Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, everyone - now that Q3's are being delivered, can we please address the question as to the accuracy of the quoted fuel economy.

I picked up my Sline 2.0 TDi S-Tronic 2 weeks ago and have driven 400 miles. I have naturally driven in a frugal way (I still belive in "running in", so just leaving it in "D" and not invoking the kick down), but I'm registering about 32mpg.

Based on the official figues, the way that I'm driving should yield 47, and at worst 40.

So the questions are...

1. When an engine is brand new, how long does it take before its performance (mpg - not even thinking of 0-60) stabilises

2. Is "Loosening up an engine" a myth or reality?

3. What are other members experiences?

Just for fun, today, I drove about on the DSG for a few miles, and it seemed as though I was driving more efficiently than just leaving it in "D" - my thoughts are that the auto changes up too quickly.

Q3 Sline TDi 2.0 Daytona Grey 18"

·
Registered
92 Posts
Hi - I've do over 800 miles a mix of town and longer runs now and according to the computer my overall average is 40.3. I normally just use drive. If I use economy on drive select my actual journey average goes up to about 45, on a run to the coast I got a journey average of 50.

·
Registered
17 Posts
i have done 1500 miles in Audi,s 2.0tdi se in drive, sports and manual and the average seems to be around 38mpg.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Hi All Had my Q3 a week now (ex demonstrator) Fuel economy not that hot really. local trips average 33mpg. The last 2 days have been mostly motorway & getting 42mpg. nothing like the book says. I have dropped the dealer an e-mail, waiting for a responce.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Glad its not just me. Have the SE 2l Quat and cant for the life of me get better than 42mpg even on a long motorway run. Short trips around toen can be as bad a high 20's.......Not good..... Car now done 4K so must be getting close to max

·
Registered
92 Posts
i've done near 3k now and still getting overall average of 40mpg but journey averages range from about 38 to 49. my 16 mile commute on town and country roads gets about 43mpg. I do get more when I put the drive select on economy but i dont like the coasting feeling that much and it makes the box jerky. when it is on sport mode interestingly the economy doesnt go down that much

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have found through experience with my previous 6 new diesel engined Audi,s that you really need at least 10k miles on the clock before you will see anything like the max MPG.
Audi seem to manufacture very tight engines and I for one would always go easy on the revs for the first few100 miles to ensure there is no damage to the bores.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts