Audi Q3 Owners Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Q3 45tfsi black edition. Turbo blue. c+s. Space saver wheel. Extended lighting pack. 19" trapezoid w
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read a few times, where RS owners have said they get more bhp using E5, than when using E10.
Does this apply to us mere mortals with 2 litre engines as well ??
I'm thinking along the lines of, if it does for that engine, it should for others, but that's way more technical than my brain can handle.

·
Super Moderator
4,272 Posts
The answer will be inside your fuel filler flap Mark.

For the RS the recommended fuel Octane rating is 98 (E5 today) with 95 (E10 as a minimum). As to whether the 45TFSI would make more power on E5 I don't know, the RS output on decent fuel is well documented.

It is known that Audi are notoriously conservative over power output.

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
V Power was £2.10 in Chatham today - luckily I was on the bike so it got vin ordinaire.

·
Registered
Q3 45tfsi black edition. Turbo blue. c+s. Space saver wheel. Extended lighting pack. 19" trapezoid w
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The answer will be inside your fuel filler flap Mark.

For the RS the recommended fuel Octane rating is 98 (E5 today) with 95 (E10 as a minimum). As to whether the 45TFSI would make more power on E5 I don't know, the RS output on decent fuel is well documented.

It is known that Audi are notoriously conservative over power output.
It says on the filler cap that it will take either. That wasn't what I was asking. I was curious as to whether E5 gives me more no in my 2.0l 45.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
The benefits of higher octane fuel are only realised in an engine with a high bhp/litre. The 45tfsi is a 2 litre engine with 227BHP. An RSQ3 is a 2.5 litre engine producing about 420BHP. As regards E5 and E10, Audi has explicitly stated that the fuel must be no more than E10. The difference between normal unleaded and super can be felt in an RSQ3 but not really in a 45tfsi. The next issue on fuel is supermarket or not? Supermarket fuel has a minimum number of additives but it still meets the UK standard. Non-supermarket fuel has additional additives but I question how effective they are with lower bhp/litre engines. What it comes down to is the car, your personal preference and how deep your pockets are.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Well I have been using super, when I had F Pace I was putting regular it was 2.0 litre 250bhp.
Mileage was crappy then I decided let's put super it did increase the mpg but very significant I think 2 to 3mpg.
But since then I have been putting super and that is all Sainsbury's.
Audi TFSI 45 has been on super since day 1 cannot tell the difference here.
Maybe you can fill 2 to 3 tanks with super and notice some difference.
I don't know but this car is fun it goes like anything although not RSQ3.
I envy RSQ3 which I am sure would be super fun.
With all those speed limits now a days I don't want to loose my licence :)
I had few near miss in TFSI 45 already.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Super unleaded is better for all engines, imo, Id certainly put it in yours, Try it, You will feel its better.
Have been putting super in it from day 1.

·
Registered
606 Posts
:D We need to be brave enough to put E10 for 2 to 3 refills and notice the difference.

·
Registered
149 Posts
My experience with my 1.4 TFSI is that I get a couple of mpg more with E5 plus response seems better ( maybe placebo effect though!) so 8 always use it.

interestingly my wife‘s Hyundai i10 does 5 mpg less since E10 came in but past I care less about it it gets the cheap stuff!

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
The only negative about premium fuels is the price.
True, on anything but performance engines there will be no power increase but the additives in premium branded fuels will keep the engine internals cleaner long term.
I once read an article about an Audi V8 test car where the fuel system was 'split' and one bank of cylinders ran on premium fuel and the other on standard unleaded. The engine was stripped after a significant mileage and the difference between the banks was amazing = with minimal build up of combustion deposits on the premium side.
Fuel economy should be improved slightly only because of the increased amount of ethanol in E10 fuel reduces the calorific value. There is even indications from some petrol companies that they don't add any ethanol to their E5 fuel - but there could be residual traces of it in the tanks and lines from E10 .

I even run my lawnmower and chainsaw on E5. I've no idea if they are safe to run on E10 but it's not worth the risk

Cheers Spike

·
Registered
84 Posts
I think garden tools are best on E5. The petrol line split on my hedge trimmer and looking for replacements most ads said E5 only. Think the ethanol rots the plastic.

The only negative about premium fuels is the price.
True, on anything but performance engines there will be no power increase but the additives in premium branded fuels will keep the engine internals cleaner long term.
I once read an article about an Audi V8 test car where the fuel system was 'split' and one bank of cylinders ran on premium fuel and the other on standard unleaded. The engine was stripped after a significant mileage and the difference between the banks was amazing = with minimal build up of combustion deposits on the premium side.
Fuel economy should be improved slightly only because of the increased amount of ethanol in E10 fuel reduces the calorific value. There is even indications from some petrol companies that they don't add any ethanol to their E5 fuel - but there could be residual traces of it in the tanks and lines from E10 .

I even run my lawnmower and chainsaw on E5. I've no idea if they are safe to run on E10 but it's not worth the risk

Cheers Spike

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
I’ve moved over to the Stihl battery kit for strimming, hedge cutting and leaf blower. Brilliant stuff.
Our Stiga recycler mower is petrol but that gets E0 from our nearby garages. We probably have too much grass to trust a battery mower. Any spare in the can goes in my KTM 690 trail bike.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts