Audi Q3 Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

I have a 2013 63 2.0 TDI Quattro Q3 with DGS and 50k on the clock.... I've been trying to figure out what the clunking noise was on my car from the mid rear - for a few months I thought the suspension had issues, then today I worked it out,....

as i am starting to drive off and the car changes from 1 to 2nd gear, about 1/4 second after the gear change there is a defined and clear clunk noise from the mid rear area. I can repeat the noise in manual, and shifting up each time from 1 > 2 makes the noise..... but only from 1 > 2 upwards, all other changes are clear and fine.

There are no fault codes on the car and other than the sh11ty noise, all is well...

Any ideas or advice appreciated

Cheers.

·
Super Moderator
2,559 Posts
Mmmm in the lowest gears, pulling away, 2.0TDI, so lots of torque, would be a likely situation for the Haldex to be activated to provide traction at the point that the front wheels start to lose grip?

Has the Haldex had the oil changed, better still the pump removed and the filter gauze checked/cleaned as well?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
TBH I thought originally it was the haldex (former TT Quattro owner) and I know that the the Haldex was serviced back in 2017 / 15k ago.... but as it was AMD, they would have only done the oil..... You thinking the plastic filter may be blocked up?

·
Registered
417 Posts
Although not a common issue it might be worth checking the propshaft damper/coupling:

See post

·
Super Moderator
6,025 Posts
In my limited experience it's more likely to be the propshaft coupling causing the noise when the Haldex activates than the Haldex itself. When that fails you get no warning other than a fault code and the fact that you're suddenly driving a 2WD vehicle. The perceived point of origin of the noise would also indicate that the coupling is worth a look.

I would however suggest getting the Haldex properly serviced at the same time. Borg Warner recommend it every three years regardless of mileage and as John says, clearing the filter screen is as important as changing the oil.

Reactions: Ragpot

·
Super Moderator
2,559 Posts
TBH I thought originally it was the haldex (former TT Quattro owner) and I know that the the Haldex was serviced back in 2017 / 15k ago.... but as it was AMD, they would have only done the oil..... You thinking the plastic filter may be blocked up?
It has to be a possibility and either way should be checked - every 20,000 miles is prudent.

Reactions: Ragpot
1 - 6 of 6 Posts