Audi Q3 Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Very interested in a Q3. Got an A6 S Line at present but no longer need the size. However,the Q3 boot seems small and the current lack of a DAB radio seems to make the radio obsolete in 2015. Thoughts?

·
Registered
115 Posts
eddiethered said:
Very interested in a Q3. Got an A6 S Line at present but no longer need the size. However,the Q3 boot seems small and the current lack of a DAB radio seems to make the radio obsolete in 2015. Thoughts?
Boot - only you can decide based on your needs

DAB - I've been told you'll be able to upgrade to DAB at your dealer.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I thought DAB was now part of the standard spec. I had it as an extra and it is very good. The boot is bigger than you think and my (large) German shepherd is happy in there and has more room because of the depth than my previous 3 series estate. If any one is interested I have bought a superb dog guard for the q3 and am happy to share the details.

·
Super Moderator
6,223 Posts
The Govmint plan to move to digital radio in 2015 was quietly binned a year or two ago due to poor takeup of DAB and general lack of interest, so your analogue radios will be OK for the foreseeable future. I would have ordered mine with DAB but £300 sounded a bit steep and other more necessary options had nudged my budget to its limit already.

Having heard that the 2014 models would ship with it (and a spare wheel) only after my order was placed, I was hoping that mine might be scheduled for or after week 22. Sadly, it missed by a week.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Audi are doing some cracking deals on the new A6, maybe an Avant model of one of these would suit your needs better?
Also coming from a 3 series estate i've had no problem with space, my pass seat folds flat so i've carried 2.2m length's of wood, bathroom suite etc

I don't really see the big rush for dab, i find the radio full of boring chat, ads etc so i only ever use my iPod which plugs straight in. Never used the radio or cd player, probably never will.

·
Registered
22 Posts
DAB good. But enjoying Bluetooth Spotify a little too much at the moment.
Edited by: Finalcut

·
Registered
22 Posts
Yes Spotify is great, although my iPhone 3GS stops forwarding track information randomly.

Back on topic, the boot is not massive. No great need for it myself but the gf's Honda Jazz seems bigger. Well flat anyway.Edited by: Finalcut

·
Registered
192 Posts
reilsab said:
I don't really see the big rush for dab,
the radio display and info about the cars other funtions is a main part of the dashboard so no dab radio will really hurt if not fitted when you come to sell the car

·
Registered
201 Posts
What do you want/usually carry in your boot? Mine doesn't have a huge amount of room with the spare and the bass unit raising the floor but I don't carry a lot so far and the rest of the car outweighed this for me.

Dab I bought mainly for resale and don't really use and I also can't see there being a switchover the way things are going in 2015 (hope those words don't come back to haunt me). If you do order I would make sure you get in writing a fixed price to retrofit Dab if you do want it, it could end up being very pricey going to an aftermarket and ensuring it's properly coded with the mmi.

Has there been any confirmation about shortages of Dab radios across the VAG group does anyone know?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Having just ordered a Q3 ( for our Labrador- lucky dog) I would be most interested in obtaining details of a decent dog guard.
Thanks

·
Super Moderator
6,223 Posts
I knew Labradors were intelligent but I didn't know they could drive...

(well, someone had to say it)

Welcome to the forum - I'll see what I can find out about dog guards.

·
Registered
30 Posts
</font>I might be the person best suited to answer this, as I
too had an A6 Avant, followed by the latest A6 S-Line automatic saloon and am
now driving a Q3 2.0 TDi S-Line Quattro.....and enjoying it very much. Being retired, we found that we no longer had
the requirement for two cars....4x4 Mini Countryman and the A6, so we ‘downsized'
into the Q3. Boot wise, I did opt for
the sat nav, the dvd tech pack and the spare wheel, so, Yes, the boot floor is
raised to accommodate these items, but this still leaves ample space for two
large cases and smaller, less bulky items....plus more space if you remove both
parcel shelfs. And with the back seats
down, plenty of space to carry an adult dog sized cage....a petrol lawnmower
and a flymo and several gardening items....but obviously, not all on the same
trip. I had always been an Audi ‘car'
person and the thought of going into a pseudo off roader didn't appeal, but
staying in the North East of Scotland, notorious for bad winters with lots of
snow, the thought of a Quattro model had logic.
In previous winters, both A6's had spent several days, if not weeks,
held up in the garage...we have two large hills up to the house...but this year
the Q3 sailed up and down on a daily basis, irrespective of the snowy conditions,
and our Q3 is fitted with normal tyres but on 19 inch alloys. Fuel figures seem to average 45 ish mpg
including town and motorway driving....cruise control fitted. I did go slightly over the top with the
options list and ended up with a rather expensive Q3, but then that was my
choice. I did not opt for a DAB radio,
but my nephew did on his Q5 and says it is brilliant......can't help with your
point on it being obsolete in 2015. My
only complain to date is that Audi don't offer mudflaps as an option on the
S-Line; Yes on an SE.....and this is
annoying as the front wheels do put up a lot of spray, slush etc, and when you
open the front doors the insides of the base of each door are messy. But other than that, having not been convinced
at the offset, but we had to get one car that suited us both, the Q3 has turned
out to ‘'do exactly what it says on the tin'' and take relatively as much
luggage as the A6 saloon did, and cope with our varied driving journeys. I was unsure, but I would find it hard to
part with now.</font>

</font>

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thank you all for your responses which were most useful - I think I will be ordering a
Guardsman item - it looks ideal. By the way I opted for the Sensotronic
in the (mistaken?) belief that the dog could really do the driving
!!!! Or am I barking up the wrong tree.........

·
Registered
118 Posts
I ordered one of these and it's brilliant. Very study, no rattles. No drilling etc. fits so easily and removes in seconds. Can leave parcel shelf in when dog not in the car. Happy to send pics

TRAVALL TDG1347 - DOG GUARD for AUDI Q3 (2011-ON)
by Travall

Ordered mine from amazon and arrived within a day or so

·
Registered
114 Posts
Reference DAB in UK

A couple of quotes from government paper (June 2013)

"The
Government will, by the end of 2013, make a decision on whether a radio
switchover is in the best interests of broadcasters, manufacturers, and
most importantly consumers.

the timetable for the delivery of the </font><div dir="ltr" style="font-size: 20px; font-family: sans-serif; left: 85px; top: 1035.77px; trans: scale0.999369, 1; trans-origin: 0% 0% 0px;">Action Plan supports a switchover date of 2015 as a target which all parts of the industry can </font>work towards.</font>"

It sounds to me that 2015 is optimistic, and I suspect that it may take another year or two.

The full 44 page document is here, if you fancy a read

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa...a/file/206972/DigitalRadioActionPlanv9-0F.pdf

·
Registered
184 Posts
Spotify hmmmmm.........clearly I need to get out more. Time to investigate........

1 - 20 of 25 Posts