Audi Q3 Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any advantage security-wise to coding out the auto door unlocking so that it has to be a button press on the fob instead? That's if it can be done at all. Sure I've seen it mentioned somewhere...

·
Registered
170 Posts
If you mean one press unlock drivers door second press unlock all doors, then that could stop someone jumping in the passenger seat before the car is driven off. Not sure if it is a coding option though

·
Registered
738 Posts
If you mean one press unlock drivers door second press unlock all doors, then that could stop someone jumping in the passenger seat before the car is driven off. Not sure if it is a coding option though
You can code that option in the MMI system (at least you could on my RSQ3, go to Menu -> Car and then I think it's options or something like that, anyway, you can code the unlocking (driver door only, or all doors, or not, what the * on the steering wheel does, footwell lighting brightness, volume of the park distance control, whether the sunroof (if you have it) shuts/opens using the key fob and a whole load of things more.

All in the manual.......:tango_face_wink:

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What I mean is; currently I can walk up to the car, open the door and start the engine without taking the key out of my pocket. I want to know if disabling that and only being able to unlock the door by physically pressing the button on the key is any more secure? Would the car even know the difference?

·
Registered
533 Posts
Going up to the Q3 with the key in your pocket is electrically identical to pressing the button on the key fob. No car is totally secure. The worst security is by using the key fob button from a distance where the signal can be intercepted, decoded then replicated. What you have to consider is that the Q3 is not a target car, the RS range are targeted as taking them apart and selling the bits generates a lot of revenue especially from the Middle East.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Then all you can do is to remove the badges and use a visible steering wheel lock. In most cases a tea leaf will find your car harder to steal and hopefully go next door. You can be as cute as you like regarding security but out there will be someone more cute.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Why haven't they made an option to disable the comfort locks ? That's beyond me... it should really be a simple coding. When I am washing and especially wiping up the car the locks go haywire and I have to take the key out of my pouch, pocket... whatever and place in a cabinet storage inside my garage to avoid the crazy locks. When out on the road I place the key inside... always keeping a door open and fingers crossed never to close it. It should not lock itself when the key fob is inside... but electronics.... you never know

·
Registered
533 Posts
I have spoken to the service manager at my dealer, Wakefield Audi, and he has informed me that the comfort locks can be disabled.

·
Registered
533 Posts
By using VAGCOM which all dealers have. You are correct, its not in the MMI.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts