Audi Q3 Owners Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Visited Teesside Audi today with the intention of ordering a Q3 for March 2014.Armed with a quote from BMW for a X1 we went with a similar specced Q3, apart from S-Tronic instead of manual to see what they would offer. I expected it to be higher for the auto box, but despite a very good p/x offer the monthly payments on a PCP were appreciably higher than the BMW. I was prepared to compromise and go for a manual and also leave off the SD card sat nav and told the Sales Girl what BMW had quoted, stressing that this included 5 years servicing for £375. She came back with a monthly figure a few pounds more than BMW which I was happy to go for. However this did not include servicing which was an extra £16 per month. She then went away and got this down to £9 a month which I said was still too high. She then brought over the Finance Manager who said that they could not go any lower, arrogantly implying that Audi do not need to offer any discounts. I actually felt sorry for the poor Sales Girl who worked hard to get the deal who looked gutted when we left, but I cannot believe that for the sake of £500 or so for a Service Package they were happy to lose a £30K+ sale.We then went to a different BMW dealer and got £500 p/x more than the first one offered and a whopping £4400 discount. Maybe the residual value of the BMW won't be as high as the Q3 would have been but with the lower monthly payments I'm happy with the deal.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I suppose that everyone is different and what they want at what price is different too
We didn't want a BMW so weren't interested in a lower price for one - we wanted the Q3 so had to pay whatever the best price was

·
Registered
257 Posts
It's difficult for me to adequacy expressmy concern that you have chosen a BMW
You do realise don't you that you will never be let out of a side turning by other motorists ever again.
On the positive side you now have a suitable vehicle to park badly (usually diagonally and/or across two spaces) in most supermarket car parks.

Sometimes price is not as important ( and hardly ever the same thing ) as value.

·
Registered
518 Posts
The other side to Audi losing a sale for the sake of £500, is that you have now gone for your 2nd choice for the sake ofa few pounds amonth. Most people would rather have the car they really want, even if it costs a few pounds more.Or, as nickkr so eloquently puts it, sometimes price isn't the same thing as value.

·
Super Moderator
6,223 Posts
We're obviously all biased as **** here, but I would add my concerns to the rest that a BMW has been chosen over a Q3, largely due (it would seem) to a less than competent sales team.
I just hope you look good in a white fluffy jumper and a pair of Raybans, that's all.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had a similar experience at West London Audi - ready to sign on the dotted line for a Q3, and armed with a quote from Drive The Deal, they lost out on a sale for the sake of £390, as they couldn't come close enough to their price as I would have liked. £390 is a significant amount of money to myself as an individual, but peanuts to a massive dealership such as them. The salesman looked gutted, and I suspect he would have agreed to my price if allowed to. What was even more surprising was that other dealerships were no better or even worse!
I eventually placed my order by getting a corporate discount through my workplace, who do a lot of business with the local Audi dealership. In fact, the dealer managed to undercut the Drive The Deal quote after minimal haggling.
But I have to admit to finding it strange that dealerships are quite so ready to lose out on sales, especially when given a reasonable point of comparison to match. After all for premium cars such as Audi's, we're not talking about huge sales volumes per year.

·
Registered
8 Posts
They really should be happy with all the sales they get, especially in this economic climate... I thought long and hard about getting the Q3 too, but figured it was worth the extra cost!

·
Super Moderator
6,223 Posts
The Q3 is certainly worth the extra cost!

Though a premium brand, you've only got to look at two indicators to see that sales are rocketing....

1> On the last two occasions either Mrs G or I have been showroom-hopping, every other showroom we visited echoed to the sound of our own footsteps as we entered and we were normally quiet enough to avoid waking the salesguys slumbering at their desks. Every time, however, we've visited Gromit's Retreat Audi the showroom has been absolutely heaving and we've had to wait up to an hour for a salesperson unless we booked ahead.

2> Look at the lead time for any Audi order, but especially the Q3 - production in Valencia is running absolutely flat-out but 3 months is the minimum order turnround time these days.

...I don't think they're exactly short of business, do you?

·
Registered
432 Posts
All 3 of the Audi dealers we visited in our search for our next car were chokka block with people, every salesman was busy and people waiting to see them. Merc and BMW? Not quite tumbleweed territory, but definitely quiet! Quite frankly the care and attention we got from the Audi dealers was far better than the others; Audi are definitely not short of buyers! Any manufacturer/dealer that will readily offer a £4.5k discount on a circa £30k car that's in stock, plus a good part ex, speaks volumes IMO!

·
Registered
563 Posts
Gromit said:
2> Look at the lead time for any Audi order, but especially the Q3 - production in Valencia is running absolutely flat-out but 3 months is the minimum order turnround time these days.
I think you'll find the Seat factory is inMartorell, located in Spain's Catalonia region

·
Super Moderator
6,223 Posts
Valencia, Catalonia... they're all foreign, anyway.

Put it down to a Senior Moment, or to use the technical term - brainfart.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Royleblue said:
Armed with a quote from BMW for a X1 we went with a similar specced Q3...the monthly payments on a PCP were appreciably higher than the BMW.

I had a similar issue when Listers wouldn't price match against aDacia Duster!

·
Super Moderator
6,223 Posts
*High-fives McGroo*

·
Registered
432 Posts
McGroo said:
Royleblue said:
Armed with a quote from BMW for a X1 we went with a similar specced Q3... the monthly payments on a PCP were appreciably higher than the BMW.

I had a similar issue when Listers wouldn't price match against a Dacia Duster!

·
Registered
613 Posts
I suppose the bottom line is that why is BMW giving such big discounts on X1s? Because they need to...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts