Audi Q3 Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.

is anyone interested in getting their car remapped?

A sponsor on another forum I use is doing us all a great deal on a group day. I had my other 2 cars done last time and not missed a beat in 2 years.

I will be getting our Q3 done this time & just wondered if anyone fancied joining me.

http://www.evvo.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=28078

"A group buy is now in place, Date time and location to be confirmed.

Stage 1 remap Via OBD11 £175.
Stage 2 remap Via ODB11 £215

We would need to have a confirmed 10+ members for these prices to apply."

The company is DNA Tuning http://www.dnatuning.com/index.php

·
Registered
518 Posts
TommyAs has been discussed elsewhere on this forum several times, just be aware that a remap will almost certainly invalidate the Audi warranty. In addition you will need to inform your insurers of the modification, who might elect not to insure you, or increase the premium, or in fact accept the remap without a change in premium. However, you need to inform them as otherwise they might avoid paying out on a claim

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
rontheman said:
TommyAs has been discussed elsewhere on this forum several times, just be aware that a remap will almost certainly invalidate the Audi warranty. In addition you will need to inform your insurers of the modification, who might elect not to insure you, or increase the premium, or in fact accept the remap without a change in premium. However, you need to inform them as otherwise they might avoid paying out on a claim

owww.... might not be such a great idea!!
Insurance price doesn't matter but the warranty on a brand new car does!!!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Folks,
I had a remap done on my S3 by a company called BSR (http://www.bsr-tuning.co.uk/products/tuning-kits/audi/q3/), they actually guarantee the engine! I had their PPC unit, which you buy with the software for your car on, then you can remap and remove at your leisure. Not cheap, but I wouldn't mess about with budget remaps or those dodgy tuning boxes!Still waiting for them to produce one for TDi 177, but I think Audi are encrypting the ECU's now to make it very hard for anyone to change the mapping :-(

·
Registered
518 Posts
Slim

The point with invalidating the warranty via a remap is that Audi will likely reject ANY warranty claim, not just the engine, as you will have breached the terms of the warranty. So, for example, if the gearbox fails, or a wheel bearing fails, Audi will likely reject a warranty claim. Their argument (aside from the legal one) would be that a remap has resulted in far greater stresses on ALL components and that it is unreasonable for an owner to expect Audi to foot the tab under those circumstances. In my view, it's a reasonable argument (though whether it holds for, say, replacing a windscreen wiper motor, or a door locking solenoid, is another matter).

As far as BSR are concerned, I suspect their engine guarantee will have so many caveats on it as to be very restrictive. I suspect it will limit the warranty to matters arising solely from the remap, and then there might be an issue of establishing where the blame lies! All very tricky.

Finally, having looked at their website, I would feel very nervous about a tuning companyoffering remaps forstandard engines that, as far as I am aware, don't even exist, and then not getting it right when talking about engines that do exist. The 2.0Tdi is 177HP, not 170HP. Is there a 163HP Tdi engine? Where did the 3.0Tdi engines come from? Scary, especially as you are waiting for the 177HP Tdi version!!

The logical course of action would be to wait until the warranty expires before remapping.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The 177 is 177ps which is 174hp. Still not 170hp tho.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Rontheman,
I know exactly what you mean with the warranty issues- the 177bhp Q3 has quite a bit more 'poke' than I was expecting too, so I'm not exactly desperate to get it done. Will be interesting to see what they can do though. Did wonder about their listed engines at the moment too, an odd collection. The S3 remap gave me around an 8% improvement in fuel economy, and noticeable power increase too when 'needed', so was well worth the investment.The amount of problems being reported with the S Tronic system are giving me some concern too, so another reason to stay away from remap land for now.
All I will say is that if you're going down the tuning route, under warranty or not, do your research and stay well clear of cheap add-on boxes and the like ;-)
Slim

1 - 7 of 7 Posts