Audi Q3 Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<div style=": rgb251, 251, 253; "><div style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">If you are thinking of taking out a GAP insurance product then we've managed to secure a great deal on already heavily discounted insurance policies taken out through ALA.<div style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">
<div style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">All Club members will receive a 5% discounttoo - just follow the link below:<div style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">
<div style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">http://www.ala.co.uk/r/?r=Carforumand use code:forum123<div style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">
<div style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">Have you thought about gap insurance?<div style=": rgb251, 251, 253;"><div style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">From the moment you drive your car away from the dealer forecourt its value automatically depreciates. This depreciation will increase drastically over the course of you owning that car.<div style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">You may not be aware but should the worst happen and your vehicle is stolen or is involved in an accident where it is damaged beyond repair, even if you have fully comprehensive insurance, you will only receive the current market value as a payout from that insurer.<div style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">
<div style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">This could result in a shortfall of up to two-thirds of the value of the vehicle in as little as 3 years. Crucially a motor insurance company may not pay enough to settle the outstanding finance on the vehicle.<div style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">
<div style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">By purchasing GAP insurance this shortfall can be prevented. A GAP policy covers the difference in price between the initial price paid for a car and the market value payout by your comprehensive insurance company. It therefore ensures that you don't suffer the financial loss otherwise associated with the loss of your car through theft or irreparable damage.<div style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">
<div style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">Are you thinking this will never happen to you?.........<div style=": rgb251, 251, 253;"><ul>[*]UK Car Crime is a third of all crime[*]A vehicle is stolen every minute, 33% of these are never recovered[*]Cars depreciate by up to 77% over a 3 year period[*]Motor insurance settlements are always less than the price you pay for your car[*]When a write off occurs you lose out and have to raise the funds for any short fall[*]Write offs occur all too often; protect yourself![/list]Why ALA?<div style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">Market Value ClauseMake sure there isn't one! This clause means that the GAP company will only pay from the Glass's Guide Retail value. If your Comprehensive Insurer settles for less, you could well end up with a shortfall.ALAdoes not have one.
Maximum Value ClauseYou don't want one of these either! This means that the value of your car is typically capped at 105% of Glass's Guide Retail value. If you have added some extras, which is very common, these extras may not be covered under your GAP policy.ALAdoes not have one.
Free TransferOf any unused premium and FREE policy amendments.ALA offers this.
Claim PeriodIf you have ever suffered a Total Loss Claim, you will know the level of stress it can cause, you may even forget to contact the GAP Insurer straight away. The better policies will give you 120 days to make a claim, lesser policies limit this to 30 days.ALAoffers 120 days.
UK Registered InsurersBuying from a UK insurer means that it is directly authorised and regulated by the FSA, which in turn offers you policy protection under the Financial Services Compensation Scheme, will give you the security you need. Other GAP providers use off-shore insurers, who, although licensed to sell GAP Insurance in the UK, ultimately can step away from their obligations without redress.ALAare UK registered.
Extra features now available - all with our exclusive benefit!(Only when purchased with GAP)
<div style="font-style: italic; font-weight: bold;">Alloy Wheel Insurance<div style="font-weight: bold;">ALA Alloy Wheel insurance covers your car's Alloy Wheels for the repair of light, accidental damage.Policies are available for up to 3 years with the ability to make up to 3 claims per years over the course of the policy.Tyre Insurance<div style="font-weight: bold;">ALA Tyre Insurance repairs or replaces the tyres on your car, light van or motorcycle when damaged either accidentally or maliciously. Cover can be purchased for up to 3 years with up to 5 claims over the course of the policy.<div style="font-style: italic; font-weight: bold;"><div style="font-style: italic; font-weight: bold;">Scratch and Dent Insurance<div style="font-weight: bold;">ALA Scratch and Dent insurance covers the cost of minor body damage to your car, occurring within the geographical limits of the UK.Policies are available for up to 3 years with the ability to make up to 3 claims per years over the course of the policy.
Unsure about ALA?I've had a lot of people ask if this cover is as good as their dealers and if so why is it so cheap. Well to put it bluntly - your dealer is making a lot of money off this product! GAP insurance from ALA is as good as or exceeds many products that your dealer offers. If you want to read up a little more - here is an article from Honest John:http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/gap-insurance/what-is-gap-insurance/Real life testimonialfrom a customer who made a GAP Insurance claim with ALA Insurance Brokers:

“ALA with my loss were great on the phone and within 3 weeks of notifying them I had a cheque in the post, so I would recommend that you use ALA Insurance Brokers"
Graham Jones

Edited by: Dan

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am about to purchase this insurance but I'm not sure which kind is best. There appear to be different kinds. Can anyone help? How much should I also be looking to cover the car for? I am buying the 2.0 tfsi s line model. Cheers!

·
Registered
1,363 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Back to Invoice Plus+will, in the event of a Total Loss claim, either pay the difference between the Comprehensive Insurance settlement and your original invoice price or clear the outstanding finance, whichever the greater. It is suitable for vehicles owned outright or on finance and for new and used vehicles up to 10 year old, delivered within the last 180 days.
Vehicle Replacement Plus+ will do all the above but instead of paying the original invoice price if say the cost to get a new car had increased they'll pay the extra too:
<table ="example2" cellpadding="10" cellspacing="0" ="#FFFFFF" width="100%" style="color: rgb51, 51, 51; font-family: helvetica, arial, sans-serif; font-size: 12px; text-align: start;"><t><tr><td align="left" style="border-bottom-style: solid; border-bottom-color: rgb242, 242, 242;">Your vehicle purchase price:</td><td ="#FFFFFF" align="right" style="border-bottom-style: solid; border-bottom-color: rgb242, 242, 242;">£20,000</td></tr><tr><td align="left" style="border-bottom-style: solid; border-bottom-color: rgb242, 242, 242;">Your comprehensive market value insurance payout:</td><td ="#FFFFFF" align="right" style="border-bottom-style: solid; border-bottom-color: rgb242, 242, 242;">£15,000</td></tr><tr><td align="left" style="border-bottom-style: solid; border-bottom-color: rgb242, 242, 242;">The cost to buy a like for like new for old replacement:</td><td ="#FFFFFF" align="right" style="border-bottom-style: solid; border-bottom-color: rgb242, 242, 242;">£22,000</td></tr><tr><td align="left" style="border-bottom-style: solid; border-bottom-color: rgb242, 242, 242;">Our Vehicle Replacement Plus+ payout:</td><td ="#FFFFFF" align="right" style="border-bottom-style: solid; border-bottom-color: rgb242, 242, 242;">£7,000</td></tr><tr><td align="left" style="border-bottom-style: solid; border-bottom-color: rgb242, 242, 242;">Comprehensive insurance payout + ALA Gap Insurance payout =</td><td ="#FFFFFF" align="right" style="border-bottom-style: solid; border-bottom-color: rgb242, 242, 242;">£22,000</td></tr></t></table>

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Also - when buying they now offer Tyre, Alloy Wheel &Scratch & Dent cover - all included in our discount scheme

·
Registered
2 Posts
Great! Thanks folks. I think I'll go for the vehicle replacement since it seems to cover more and there isn't a huge price difference. Appreciate all your help!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Just had a run through quote with this and it's really good value, even before the discount added here it was close to half the price I've just been quoted from my Audi dealer!

·
Registered
426 Posts
I have been pushed (but refused) to take Gap insurance on every car bought over the last umpteen years, I still have reservations and uncertainties about it . I think it mainly resolves around the advertising weaselspeak that accompanies the product . Take for instance the example quoted in the Honest John link, it shows the shortfall for a chap who bought his car for £25K 18 months ago and having canned it finds his payout is on a market value of £9k ??? I bought my Tiguan for £25K 3 years ago and am trading it in for £15K, thats 10K in three years not 16K in 18 months ( perhaps the other bloke had bought a French car ! )
Another is the "Fair Market Value" they always refer to.
DEFINITIONof 'Fair Market Value' The price that a given property or asset would fetch in the marketplace, subject to the following conditions: . Prospective buyers and sellers are reasonably knowledgeable about the asset; they are behaving in their own best interests and are free of undue pressure to trade.
Nowheredoes anyone say if said FMV is the price you would pay to</font> buy</font> the replacement car on the open market; or the value of the car if you were trying to</font> trade it in </font>! The difference could be £2-3K</font></font>If the insurance pays the amount for a like for like replacement (not the trade in value) it reduces the difference further, say in my case £8K which is what I would have been expending anyway.</font></font>Is Gap notanother iffy insurance wheeze ?</font>

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
Some value GAP cover, some don't - personally I don't bother with it - but whatever you do, DON'T get it from an Audi dealer, you'll be robbed blind. Shop around for independent quotes (from a broker if you use one) - you'll find it available for a fraction of the price the dealer quotes.

GAP insurance is a value-added product as far as main dealers are concerned, like paint coating, tyre insurance and service plan packages. All are horrendously overpriced and designed to make the dealer a nice bucketload of extra wedge at your expense.

·
Registered
757 Posts
I took up GAP insurance with ALA when I bought my Q3 last year. In reality this was for peace of mind, but the premium, including the forum discount, was very reasonable and underwritten by a UK insurer. Audi matched a lower quote on my previous car, but couldn't get close to ALA this time.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thank you for this, I had this automatically added on by Audi, so scribbled it out when I realised how much cheaper I could get it from here, thanks.

·
Registered
39 Posts
CarNut said:
Thank you for this, I had this automatically added on by Audi, so scribbled it out when I realised how much cheaper I could get it from here, thanks.
Not allowed to do that now - they must explain it and tell you its available elsewhere...

·
Registered
410 Posts
Costanza said:
Thank you, very good prices and seem like they receive decent reviews everywhere.
Don't forget that a lot of Insurance Companies "replace as new, like for like" in the first year so you may not need Gap Insurance until the 2nd year of ownership.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts