Audi Q3 Owners Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my Q3 S-Line in July and previous to that had a 2010 Golf. I am really disappointed with the quality of the Sat Nav graphically. Compared to the Golf RNS510 system andthe Tomtom/Garmin devices of the last 2-3 yearsit seems primitive, the map graphics are way behind and dont have things like lane guidance built in to the map. I dont want the step by step, turn by turn directions taking up half the screen !!
Anyone know if there are any updates coming to the system that might change the look and feel, or are we stuck with what we have ?

·
Registered
302 Posts
Oh - that doesn't sound good
We've ordered the SD Sat Nav. Our Tom Tom is ancient so we thought that the Audi Sat Nav would be better ........ I hope we aren't going to be disappointed :( Have you complained to Audi about the quality ?? Wouldn't do any harm

Edited by: Bambi

·
Registered
518 Posts
The standard display (as opposed to the upgraded 7" technology pack display) is not great. Lane guidance at a turning should come up but I think is a user selectable option (ie go to settings and check). The half screen display of turn by turn instructions can certainly be switched off via settings (at least it can be in the tech pack version)I think it is highly unlikely that Audi will change the basic look feel now. The current look was introduced in 2004 (I have it in our A4) and essentially hasn't changed that much in almost 10 years

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dont get me wrong, its a good system, has all the functionality in it, its just the quality of the map display that is behind the times and not the quality I was expecting (i.e. was expecting at least as good as a Golf that was 3 years older than the Q3 is).
What you are also getting though is great MMI integration for iPhone/Pad/Pod for media and plenty of other good stuff. It is worth it, but as I said above its a bit disappointing.

·
Registered
302 Posts
bigdave146 said:
What you are also getting though is great MMI integration for iPhone/Pad/Pod for media and plenty of other good stuff. It is worth it, but as I said above its a bit disappointing.
We don't have an iPhone/iPod/iPad - I'm not even sure whether our basic smartphone will connect up in the car
If the Sat Nav isn't great I will certainly be making a complaint to Audi as, for £500, it certainly should be
But, as I have said before, we are buying the car not the entertainment system so I will just have to cope with what we get

·
Registered
518 Posts
If your smart phone has Bluetooth, then it WILL connect. As far as the satnav is concerned, didn't you check it out before buying? If you complain, I suspect all Audi will suggest is giving you a refund. As bigdave says, it's a good system except for the display.Having used Audi's nav system for almost 10 years in 2 cars (inc the Q3), and looked at many others, I have to agree it's a good system. It has many advantages, and I preferred it over the Evoque system, which I thought was very basic in its display.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
The colour display between the dials has a higher Res display than the MMI screen! Maybe they'll update it during it's facelift so we can all stare at our facebooks etc while driving along.

·
Registered
302 Posts
rontheman said:
As far as the satnav is concerned, didn't you check it out before buying?
Err no - I think we naively assumed that, given the price and it is Audi, it would be better than our 10 year old Tom Tom
Unfortunately, we hadn't discovered this forum before we bought and never having had any problems with previous lesser mark cars assumed, in our ignorance, that everything Audi was wonderful (well, maybe not quite that wonderful)

·
Super Moderator
6,208 Posts
The SD SAT/NAV is a good system, make no mistake. Yes, the display could be better but no doubt it's to distinguish it from the HDD based SAT/NAV option - that display is definitely better, but in my opinion definitely NOT £1000 worth of better.

·
Registered
613 Posts
The £1000 does get you a few extra baubles (DVD, Juke Box, big screen 3D view, high-res DIS, fancy reversible boot floor), but to be honest, the SD Sat Nav does seem a bit basic in appearance - especially as you can get a good TomTom for only £100 or so.
It really grips me that all car manufacturers charge the earth for a built-in SatNav anyway - the Audi SD kit at £500 is "good value" in Car SatNav terms, but why is a Map update £240?

·
Super Moderator
6,208 Posts
One word - greed.

·
Registered
613 Posts
You'd think that dropping the price would sell more units, wouldn't you?

·
Registered
275 Posts
Dropping the price to sell more woul sell more units, but then Audi would become Kia!!!

Usually I have a general idea of where I am heading, bu if unsure I connect my iPhone, (on the red gromited cable that cost me £36 and is about 7 inches long, cheers Audi), then use the wake sat nav (free app) the instructions and lane details are heard through the car stereo, and if the cable was longer I cold even see the iPhone screen.

Ps wake has speed cameras too, a function I believe audi don't have, to ensure they remain within French laws.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Ok, we didn't get a choice with sat nav on our car & we said its prob an option we wouldn't have chosen due to having a Tom Tom & don't go far.

Having said that, currently using the SD sat nav & it's really really good!

Changed it to 2D mode but left the next turnings up the left hand side & it's going great :)

Really like the added distance to next services and what's available at them.

Conclusion, expensive option but due to dash design if you can justify it, have it.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Hi Crem0, I do the same with Waze and use the car sat nav for directions and Waze to warn me about traffic ahead and speed cameras but just connect via bluetooth. The Waze alerts then come through the car speakers with no need to connect the phone to the car with the cable.

The reason Audi don't have traffic camera alerts in their satnav is apparently because it's illegal to have this option in some countries in Europe, I know this is the case for France. Rather than giving us the option to have this in the UK Audi don't offer the option anywhere in Europe. I'm not sure if it's available elsewhere but would guess not.

If I want google maps on my satnav I have to connect via the red gromit cable though which is annoying.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Hello Contrition. Google maps sounds good, but I assumed that he red cable stopped images going to the screen when the car is moving.

I have a work blackberry which s connected to the Bluetooth, so I have o red cable the phone. Saying that, I have never attempted to connect both at once I assumed its not poss, but I'll give it a go today!

·
Registered
198 Posts
No one seems to have mentioned the poor quality of the actual directions which when compared to merc are atrocious. The software seems to have no knowledge of the difference between B roads and cart tracks.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Contrition said:
Hi Crem0, I do the same with Waze and use the car sat nav for directions and Waze to warn me about traffic ahead and speed cameras but just connect via bluetooth. The Waze alerts then come through the car speakers with no need to connect the phone to the car with the cable.

The reason Audi don't have traffic camera alerts in their satnav is apparently because it's illegal to have this option in some countries in Europe, I know this is the case for France. Rather than giving us the option to have this in the UK Audi don't offer the option anywhere in Europe. I'm not sure if it's available elsewhere but would guess not.

If I want google maps on my satnav I have to connect via the red gromit cable though which is annoying.
I am not sure you can generalise re absence of Audi speed cameras. We also have an A4 with DVD satnav, and that shows speed cameras. Problem is, however, that it becomes out of date pretty quickly!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts