Audi Q3 Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The FT is today reporting a worldwide shortage of semiconductor chips which is massively impacting new car builds. Audi is stating that they will build significantly fewer cars in the coming months. It appears it’s a worldwide issue and has absolutely nothing to do with Brexit. If you wish to know more try Googling Audi and semiconductors
It’s affecting multiple car manufacturers and is also mentioned as being behind Honda’s recent pause in production at Swindon.

If you were thinking of buying a new Audi it might be worth looking for an in stock model and moving quickly.

·
Registered
818 Posts
For your information, the largest worldwide semiconductor foundries, Samsung, TSMC, Hynix, Micro and Intel, are currently running at maximum capacity. This will affect everything where a reduced mask size chip is used. Come back discrete components, all is forgiven.

Reactions: Gromit

·
Registered
54 Posts
If ours gets delayed which is due for March it will be Deja Vuv for me, we ordereda Q2 June 2018 with a delivery date for September 1st in August we hadn’t heard anything from the dealer so I did a bit of digging to find Audi were having problems with the emissions and had temporarily closed the factor.
Rang the dealer he couldn’t give me a date at all so we had our deposit back and found our current Q2 edition1as a demo with only twenty six miles on it with the 1.4 petrol engine which is the engine we wanted, so glad we did this because had I have waited it would have had the 1.5 engine with the kangaroo syndrome.

·
Registered
235 Posts
The global device supply is in trouble, all manufacturers are reporting delays. Don't know how long it will last, you could take a look around the stealers, there is a large stock of new unregistered cars and maybe your answer is awaiting you. Also there are some deals to be hammered out too. I didn't want to wait an indeterminate period, I found my car in Crewe, a bit of a drive to view and collect, but well worth it. My o/n accommodation, food and fuel were included in a good price.
Good Luck.

Mike

·
Registered
316 Posts
The global device supply is in trouble, all manufacturers are reporting delays.
Yes, but it's unsurprising. Chip foundries tend to take large-scale orders 6-9 months ahead and don't tend to run with much spare capacity - it would be understandably uneconomic to do so. The car makers longer-range forecast was for low demand in eg the first quarter of 2021 and so cut their forward chip orders. However, their crystal ball was obviously a bit fogged and they underestimated demand. But too late now to do much about it until Q2/Q3 - the chip makers are committed to other customers now for the next 2-3 months at least.

I don't envy the car makers needing to make a forecast in the circumstances of 2020 especially for long lead-time parts. But unfortunately they have to live with their decisions.

·
Super Moderator
5,965 Posts
One of the penalties of JIT supply philosophies I'm afraid - very little buffering or leeway if demand suddenly takes a totally unexpected turn.

Reactions: DavidS

·
Registered
54 Posts
I contacted the dealer today to check on our order which he had given us as being week 8 originally, he had heard of delays through COVID but hadn’t heard of the chip shortage, he said he would check and come back to us.
He rang back half an hour later confirming the build week is now week nine so should be ok, although the week build is an estimate of the car being built he said roughly another month on top for shipping etc.
It would have never been March just me not knowing the score, which if fine as our current car isn’t three years old till late April.

When reading this post last night I did think of starting a search for one already built which is what happened with our Q2, but the whole idea of having a new build is to choose colour speck of your choice.
Although we did really well with the Q2 deal by having the DSG box which wasn’t ordered on our factory build and now would not have anything else, there was a couple of comprises which I don’t want to do again unless I have to.
We had five grand off list price as a new car build with various discounts and contributions so would have to haggle really hard to beat that so will wait with fingers crossed at the minute.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hi guys had an update via email from Audi UK today this is what it said, feel a bit more confident in it happening now as nice as the sales guy Matt is who said it’s not a problem some of them speak with fork tongue.
Perparation Production date In build
We're almost under way. Just to let you know we've heard from our factory and the order for your new Audi Q3 will join the production line, week commencing Monday 1st March 2021.​
We’ll give you regular updates as delivery gets closer. If you have any questions about your Q3 in the meantime, contact your local Audi Centrewith your order number 30412114 to hand.​

·
Registered
818 Posts
Just be aware that it can take up to 4 weeks from leaving the factory to getting to the dealer. The initial part of the journey is by train then it can wait on the dock until they can fill a car transporter ship. Once it gets to the UK it can then wait again so that a car transporter can be filled to drop off cars in or around the location of your dealer. There is no user tracking mechanism from the dock to the dealer. Don't worry, it will all happen.

Reactions: Mouth999
1 - 10 of 10 Posts