Audi Q3 Owners Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last weekend I left my deposit at an Audi dealer for a new Q3 Quattro 2.0 tdi 177 S-Line S-tronic. Really excited about my first ever new car purchase as I have always purchased used! I could not find a used close to the spec that I required.
The sales guy said that it should be delivered in September / October. He told me that on Monday that he would contact me with a delivery date for the Q3. After a few phone calls from me to the dealer during this week I have still not had confirmation. Is this normal? I was told that they are waiting for Audi UK to allocate cars. Should it take a week+ to find out? I know a while ago there was a 6 month wait but it has come down to under 3 months as these cars are very popular but this should not affect getting a delivery date.
The options that I ordered I believe are nothing out of the ordinary and should not cause an issue in getting a delivery date. But I may be wrong! They are - Glacier white, SD sat nav, 19" 5 segment alloys, privacy glass, storage pack, luggage pack, through load facility, electric heated folding mirrors, cruise control, parking system plus, mobile phone prep low and tyre mobility system + 460ltr boot.
Any guidance on this matter from anyone that can help me with this query would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
115 Posts
In my experience Audi give you the worst scenario so you don't hassle them constantly and they don't risk late delivery.

·
Super Moderator
6,223 Posts
In my experience Audi and their dealer chain are pretty accurate about delivery dates. Both the Audis I have ordered new have been delivered a few days early, in fact.

There's nothing unusual about your spec. that would cause any delays that I can see.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I can understand if there is a delay in getting the car. Wouldn't be happy about it!
I'm just surprised in the delay of Audi giving me a delivery date. I thought the dealers would be able to check on their system, allocate a car and then give me a build week and a delivery date. Or are they sending a request by letter to the factory in Catalonia Spain and waiting for a reply?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I ordered on the 28 June and the dealer quoted an online slot immediately, I believe it was week 41, but within an hour or so he called me with an update that it would now be week 34. It does seem strange that your dealer cannot at least quote a cautiously long date.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Always got the Audi a couple of days before delivery date. That's why I always start calling a week in advance ;-).My wife worked as an interim in IMC (Toyota, Daihatsu, Jaguar, ...) long time ago. If the car isn't delivered in time this means that there has been dalmage at the car: heavy storms, hail, accindents when putting on the trailer, ... Audi can't have damage because of storms onn the sea though :).

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have been given week 43 as the build date and delivery in November. I hope I can get these dates changed. That is good news Spider. You should try get it when the new reg comes out. Let's hope the weather is good Afax when mine is ready for delivery!

·
Registered
16 Posts
To be honest, the best advice if you want a car in a reasonable period is not to order unless the dealer can give you a 'guaranteed' production slot.I had a bad experience last year when I ordered a new VW up so I got to understand the VAG system - it is the same for Audi. As far as I can understand it the process is:-Audi allocate production slots to dealer groups using historic sales, minimum amounts etc, these slots seem to be allocated on a monthly basis ( I think that it is mid month). A dealer will then either use a production slot for an order that they already have or specify a car for themselves. If someone comes in to order, the car is specified and then the dealer can see whether it would be accepted by the factory immediately (unlikely for most cars) or put on a waiting list - however the waiting list is a dealer controlled one and not a central Audi one !! The dealer can also take one of their predefined cars that is a month or so from production and amend it to a Customers requirements and allocate it to them - the Customer can then be given a Commission Number and a target production week - I do not believe that Commission numbers are available until the car is in the accepted factory queue.We ordered a new Q3 on the 1st June and wanted it in September so went to a local dealer and said that we would only order if he could give us a guaranteed production slot, we wanted a Petrol, Stronic SE Q3. A test order went into the Queue !!, He then showed us the Audi system which contained a list of all of the preallocated (and specified) cars for his dealership group - all were Diesel and most S-line.He was able (with some help on the Monday) to convert one of their preallocated cars to our specification and gave us the commission number and production week (28).The car has now been made and is in transit.The lessons from this are:-1) Don't order unless the dealer can guarantee a production slots2) Try other dealers (from diferent Dealer Groups) - their situation is likely to be different3) Tell a dealer you need the Commission number and production week as a condition of the sale.I learnt this lesson the hard way last year, sofar our Q3 purchase has been very simple !!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Mine was week 28 build too and in transit to UK. If yours is UK bound do you have any info on when it will likely arrive in the UK. I'll contact my dealer sometime in the week. Thought as you were very meticulous when ordering you might have a rapport with your salesman hence would be willing to divulge information to you at ease.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Audi-Q3-Deluxe said:
Mine was week 28 build too and in transit to UK. If yours is UK bound do you have any info on when it will likely arrive in the UK. I'll contact my dealer sometime in the week. Thought as you were very meticulous when ordering you might have a rapport with your salesman hence would be willing to divulge information to you at ease.
To be honest there are too many unknowns in the various parts of the chain, they are assuming 3-4 weeks which will be fine for a Sept 1 delivery, however we are quite relaxed about it.You should be able to get the ship name from your dealer and track it on marinetraffic.com- I believe that they ship from Southern Spain (usually with a stop at their North Sea hub in Emden)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Good info passed on here. As I have already left a very
small deposit, is it too late to push for an earlier date in getting the car? November is such a long wait!

·
Registered
302 Posts
We ordered a Q3 2.0 TDI 177 SE STronic on the 12th July. We've been told not to expect it until November. We're not bothered as it was an impulse buy (we'd actually gone to test drive an A3) :) We haven't heard anything yet .... We weren't even going to buy a car until next year :) It's replacing my old Renault Scenic automatic - so should be quite different :)
Edited by: Bambi

·
Registered
103 Posts
Was told by my salesman the delay in builds is with the standard Sline wheels not being available that's why I opted for the offroad wheels

·
Registered
302 Posts
When do you get told the build date ??

·
Registered
302 Posts
Anybody know ?? We ordered our car on the 12th July and haven't heard anything since. We're not expecting it before November (maybe a bit earlier) - when do we get told the build date that you are all talking about ??

·
Registered
16 Posts
Bambi said:
Anybody know ?? We ordered our car on the 12th July and haven't heard anything since. We're not expecting it before November (maybe a bit earlier) - when do we get told the build date that you are all talking about ??
You only get a build date when the factory has accepted the order for production and that is a complicated logic based on the amount of allocation that a dealership gets and how many orders they have.I try and explain it earlier in this thread (http://www.q3ownersclub.co.uk/forum/delay-in-getting-delivery-date_topic954_post8568.html#8568)It is worth asking your dealer whether they have any unallocated orders that could be modified for you, if they haven't you need to check when they will next get any allocation and what chance you have of being allocated a slot.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Thanks. I've read your thread - interesting and complicated :) I'd no idea:) They searched for quite a long time to see if there was anything already coming that was suitable but there wasn't. As it was a bit of an impulse buy (we'd goneto look at the A3 and originally didn't want to buy untilthe New Year) the order time doesn't really matter too much.We've bought new cars in the past, but they have always been built/already in the country. If we have been told 12-16 weeks - so probably November - is this likely to be true ?? I'm happy to wait as long as the time doesn't stretch :)

·
Super Moderator
6,223 Posts
I doubt very much that it will stretch - Audi dealer delivery estimates tend to be if anything slightly pessimistic. Both the Audis I've ordered were delivered a few days prior to the estimated delivery date, so you should be fine.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts