Audi Q3 Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I’ll be shortly returning to a Q3, after two years in and X1!

It will be a brand new model Q3 so I’m not sure where things are, does anyone know the best way or place to plug a dashcam in, or do I buy an hardwire kit?

I have heard that if you use a hardwire kit it can invalidate your warranty?

Any suggestions welcome.

Many thanks

Quattrosteve

·
Registered
393 Posts
Welcome back to the Q3. I can't help directly but I do have a snooper speed camera detector. When my Q3 went through PDI I got the dealer to wire a suitable power lead from the fuse box to the snooper located on the dash at no charge. I have done this for my previous 4 Audi's with no dealer problems.

·
Super Moderator
5,546 Posts
Hi, welcome to the club!

Dashcam setup is dead easy. I personally use - and can recommend - a Blackvue with a hardware kit. It'll connect via a piggyback direct onto a fuse - the fusebox is just in front of the driver's right knee. The Blackvue hardware kit includes a switch setup and battery protector for parking mode which can be fitted inside the little hatch just below the light switch cluster near the fusebox.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Many thanks everyone, I think a hardwire kit is the way to go. On to Amazon or eBay to have a look.

It's just a shame that car manufacturers don't think of these things and put a socket in a convenient place! Thats one thing I did like about X1, there was one in the passenger footwell.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I personally use - and can recommend - a Blackvue with a hardware kit. It'll connect via a piggyback direct onto a fuse - the fusebox is just in front of the driver's right knee.
Can I ask you which fuse do you piggyback on ?

On eBay I've found out there were models which apparently fit and integrate into the rear view mirror base. I don't think they are particularly good though...

Beyond that the best resource I know for dashcams is Techmoan's guide and reviews, Techmoan - Guide to Dashcam Features

·
Super Moderator
5,546 Posts
For my purposes it was either 36 or 37 - can't remember precisely which as I had mine professionally fitted but the fusebox description in the manual has all the info you need. It varies depending on whether you want it powered up with the ignition or permanently live but controlled by an add-on box which on the Blackvue is part of the hardware kit.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Can I ask you which fuse do you piggyback on ?

On eBay I've found out there were models which apparently fit and integrate into the rear view mirror base. I don't think they are particularly good though...

Beyond that the best resource I know for dashcams is Techmoan's guide and reviews, Techmoan - Guide to Dashcam Features
I have bought one of these, excellent fit and quality, cost about 45euro and fitment was very easy in the fuse box

·
Super Moderator
5,546 Posts
There's a problem with them in the UK - they're designed for LHD cars and when fitted to a RHD car the lens is too far back and at the wrong angle to effectively cover the screen. I had one trial-fitted at Halfords fearing this would be the case and that's how it proved to be.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I might have to sample the quality.... tnx Kostas. Also to keep in mind in my case the car is fitted the upper shade fascia in the windscreen. So preferably the dashcam's optic should sit below that level.

fitted to a RHD car the lens is too far back and at the wrong angle to effectively cover the screen.
I can't understand. It should sit in the middle of the windscreen. Why have they even made it angled ? I wouldn't like it... skewed.
That's useful INFO even though I have a LHD car.

·
Super Moderator
5,546 Posts
This is because the camera lens is always mounted on the lefthand side of the mirror. As the mirror is always set at an angle so (that the driver can see the rear window) the lens is near the windscreen on a LHD car, which is fine and as it should be. On a RHD car, however, the lefthand side of the mirror is angled AWAY from the windscreen, giving poorer coverage of the view through the 'screen and often being blocked from seeing the righthand half of the screen by the mirror mounting pillar.

I was all in favour of buying one until it was trial-fitted when the problems were made apparent.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I fitted a BlackVue one last weekend with the OBD connector, it took me 15 minutes. I’m very OCD for keeping things looking stock and managed to tuck all the cables away. It shocked me on Thursday when I started the engine and got the recording prompt because I forgot it was there it’s that discreet!

I went for a 60fps model and the difference is massive compared to my 30fps in my other vehicle.

·
Registered
413 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,546 Posts
Here's the one I went for...

https://www.blackvue.com/dr750s-2ch/

....very discreet, efficient, cloud service if you want it, excellent mobile phone app for viewing/downloading and superb configurable Parking Mode with battery saver.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I have purchased from Aliexpress, much cheaper, about 45 eur, and has excellent video quality plus G-Sensor, in case someone crashes you when you have your car parked at night, camera starts recording for 5 minutes, has Motion sensor also if you like.

Attached is the camera

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
Suggest you get Garmin Dash cam55.It has a long lead. Feed it along roof liner above windscreen to the left. Squeeze it down side pillar then underneath facia down to carpet. Thread it under front passenger carpet and along transmission tunnel under the vinyl side cover and plug into 12volt socket between the front seats.Simple. You can then easily transfer it to future cars.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts