Audi Q3 Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having recently taken delivery of my new 2020 Q3 I’m wondering whether or not a dash cam can be hard wired into the car.

I’m asking because my previous Mercedes’s electrical system was constantly “live” and so the likes of Halfords wouldn’t touch it.

Has anybody has a camera hard wired into a post 2018 Q3?
thanks in advance.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Halfords supplied and fitted Nextbase without any problems; firstly to my 15 plate Q5 and then refitted to my 20 plate Q3.

·
Super Moderator
5,777 Posts
Yes, if you use the search facility and look for UTR (Audi's own webcam) you'll find that someone had one fitted recently. Many of us run dashcams on earlier models but info on those may not still be current. Certainly though you can fit a dashcam - my personal recommendation would be Blackvue.

·
Registered
581 Posts
I had my dealer fit a UTR front/rear. It looks like it is part of the original car. It took 8 hours as routing the cable to the rear required the headlining to be remove. You must be aware that on the older Q3's the fuse box is on the offside but on the newer ones it is on the nearside.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I can recommend Blackvue. I had one of their 2 channel systems, with a "Power Magic Pro" voltage monitoring device, fitted in January 2018. Their "at home" fitting service was excellent and took just over 3 hours. They appear to remain very competitive in that todays price is £50 cheaper than I paid!

·
Registered
581 Posts
The Blackvue is an excellent product. I have a couple of friends who have had this fitted and are very happy. I went for the UTR as it was being fitted to a new car and, bearing in mind the work required, I was concerned about the manufacturers warranty being contested in the case of a claim. The total cost for the UTR with front/rear cameras including fitting was £550 which is not cheap but gave me peace of mind.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Quote: mwcltd - "I went for the UTR as it was being fitted to a new car and, bearing in mind the work required, I was concerned about the manufacturers warranty being contested in the case of a claim".

That thought did cross my mind but it proved not to be a problem in reality.

I traded the Q3 1.4 TFSI manual I bought new in September 2016 for a 6mo ex-demonstrator Q3 2.0 TFSI Stronic 2017my in December 2017. Within a few days of owning it I discovered that the MMI Plus system habitually shut itself down overnight. It was pointless personalising it because it reverted to factory settings, a real PIA.

It was 3 weeks before Poole Audi could look at it and in the meantime I had the Blackvue fitted. The first (of many) Techies to look at it didn't know that I'd had the Blackvue fitted after I discovered the problem and tried to convince me that "Audi will say that's the problem" before I enlightened him! From that point on it was treated as a warranty issue by Poole Audi but they had to jump through hoops to prove that to Audi AG (Nien, zees neveer go rung). It took 2 months and 2 periods of courtesy cars before a new MMI Plus was fitted.

At 2yo I had another warranty claim for a noisy power operated boot lid actuator and that was met without challenge.

I hope the OP will forgive me for rambling on, apparently off topic, but as you can tell Audi didn't treat the non OEM camera system as a "modification" to their product specification.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts