Audi Q3 Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a loan Q3 for a few days and it was totally different to drive to mine. It was mounted on 19" rims with P6 tyres and no diveselect/damper control. Mine has 18" off road design wheels with Goodyear Eagles and there was a market contrast between the two cars that should be noted by anyone ordering. The 19" rims gave very much more sporty handling ( and look great ) BUT the ride was very firm and our poor road surfaces and repairs gave it a harsh and much more noisy ride than mine ( even my passengers commented )My car withdamper control in 'comfort' its a very padded ride, perhaps a bit too much to press on but in auto mode you get a good ride, do not mind poor road surfaces and pot holes are no issue, it also tightens up quickly when you drive and corner faster. In Dynamic mode it feels very much like the loan Q3 but not quite as 'harsh' - glad I spent the money on adaptive dampers I feel that they are worth having with their selectability.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Anecdotally, the larger wheels (regardless of dampers) seem to provide a worse ride...
My SE has the 17" standard wheels, and standard suspension, and has a distinctly "padded" ride!

·
Registered
302 Posts
Jules said:
My SE has the 17" standard wheels, and standard suspension, and has a distinctly "padded" ride!
That's a relief because our dealer recommended going for the SE (and standard wheels) rather than the S Line because we want a comfortable ride :) OH asked for Drive Select, but we hadn't gone for the damper control as well.

·
Registered
518 Posts
I have an SE with standard 17" wheels and drive select, but not with damper control. As others have said, the standard ride is exceptionally good, comfortable and roll-free. In my view, there would be no benefit in having something damper control, because standard damper control is so good.As far as the drive select goes, most of the time I run in economy mode which is fine. Comfort mode seems to be the same as economy mode, but without the coasting feature. Dynamic mode tightens up the steering very nicely, as well as giving a performance edge to gear changes and throttle response. Automatic mode appears to equate to comfort mode at low speeds, and dynamic mode at higher speeds (ie "automatically" switches between comfort and dynamic)All in all, I think the major benefit of drive select is to improve fuel consumption in economy mode, but for £220 that equates to a lot of fuel that needs to be saved!!

·
Registered
302 Posts
rontheman said:
All in all, I think the major benefit of drive select is to improve fuel consumption in economy mode, but for £220 that equates to a lot of fuel that needs to be saved!!
LOL :) I think my OH just likes to have an extra button :) :)

·
Registered
157 Posts
rontheman said:
All in all, I think the major benefit of drive select is to improve fuel consumption in economy mode, but for £220 that equates to a lot of fuel that needs to be saved!!
I agree ron - but there is something special when in the right traffic / road conditions, along with the occasional judicious tap of the gas pedal, you experience that quiet wafting sensation thinking that you may be saving diesel / pennies at the same time. Have I been in Scotland too long?

·
Super Moderator
6,032 Posts
Far too long mate - you'll find if you stay there much longer you'll need a passport to get back.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Not at all, Exiledtaff. I find the coasting feature really good, and make use of it often, either coasting downhill (safely, of course), or simply when coasting to traffic lights. I am not too sure how much fuel it saves, but the main benefit is certainly one of a nice feeling about it. I suspect that in time this may well end up as a standard feature

·
Registered
613 Posts
I especially enjoy the low-cost "coast" option of the manual gearbox (aka "the clutch")...

I live at the bottom of a valley, and my wife and I compete to see who can go furthest without using the engine... The Q3 can just about beat her Volvo C30, given favourable traffic!

·
Registered
157 Posts
Gromit said:
Far too long mate - you'll find if you stay there much longer you'll need a passport to get back.
You're right Gromit, over 40 years now !! Guess I must like Edinburgh. Anyways, I find 'coasting' addictive (that sounds like it should be illegal) and make the most use of it whenever I can. It also makes Dynamic mode more enjoyable when used

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi, Is a Q3 with Audi drive select but without the damper control suspension any better than the Q3 without the Drive select option? Any advice is welcome, as I need to make my choice quickly.

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
What you must remember is that Drive Select does absolutely nothing to the suspension settings, it changes the steering feel, gear change points and engine parameters, all these can be influenced because they are electronically controlled, the standard suspension is just that, mechanical dampers.
You get more change to the suspension feel by adjusting the tyre pressures (within limits of course).

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
I have played extensively with the Drive Select settings on my A6 and quite frankly I find I just leave it in Comfort mode now, it makes very little difference to handling but a big difference to the perceived refinement through the steering and driveline feel.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts