Audi Q3 Owners Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, massive apologies if this this already been mentioned in the forum.

Basically long story short, I have a 63 plate Q3 which didn’t come with DAB radio as standard. I did try ringing Audi a while ago to try upgrade, but they said it wasn’t possible. I just presumed they said that because they didn’t have the correct wires at the time etc? So I’m hoping someone will have come to some solution to this by now? Ideally I would like to just upgrade the system I have now so I could get DAB on the current system in the car.

Although I understand that this could be quite a costly option, if it can even be done? So is there any other way of getting DAB in my car that’s reliable and at a reasonable price? I have seen adaptors that plug into the 24v and can tune into a empty radio station but, I have used these before in old cars and they weren’t the greatest/most reliable things in the world.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
6,619 Posts
Hi, welcome to the club!

Be certain it's worthwhile before embarking on that upgrade - DAB roadside coverage is patchy at best and in some parts of the country non-existent, hence the guvmint's shelving of analogue radio stations closing indefinitely.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the quick replies. That’s a tad more than I was hoping to spend to be completely honest. I have seen a few ones on eBay that look like they’d work. That being said, I’m no tech genius and certainly not clue’d up on auto electronics. That probably leaves me with option 2. Some sort of adaptor that plugs into 24V and connects to fm radio. Do you have any recommendations on which is the best one of these?

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
An upgrade to factory spec would require a new DAB radio head unit and dedicated aerial amplifier with new connections soldered to the rear screen element.

It's a bit easier if you have the Technology Pack as the DAB tuner is integral with the radio and HDD satnav module in the boot. Audi did sell an upgrade kit for this system which included the aerial hardware but it was still over £400 plus fitting

Cheers Spike

·
Banned
86 Posts
IMO the DAB retrofit is too expensive for what these cars are now worth at that age and you dont get much bang for your buck.

I recently fitted the unit John suggested from Integrated Automotive, it cost me £455 and was "relatively" easy to install, if you do get it hit me up as atm they are reviewing their instructions they supply for the Q3 as they are largely based for the A1 which arent quite the same.

With that unit you get Android Auto & Apple Carplay so it brings the opportunity for all your apps like Spotify, DAB, Google maps, Apple maps, Waze etc powered by the data from your mobile phone, i usually have Google maps with traffic on as well as Spotify running on the screen for convenience.

Worth noting though the best feature of this unit is the vast improvement in sound quality it brings thanks to the superior DAC, i have the standard Audi active speaker system with no sub or centre speaker which on standard headunit doesnt go loud enough but sounds good, through the Integrated Automotive unit however it goes quite loud and sounds asif the speakers have been amplified, they punch harder and sound crisper.

The one downside if you can cal it that is no fault of the unit but it highlights that the factory screen on the A1 and Q3 are quite dated which you would ecpect for 2012 technology and not as nice as other higher end and or newer Audis, i was unaware and a little disappointing but ive grown to not really notice it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.