Audi Q3 Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a new Q3 35 TFSI Sport in March. It was invoiced as 'cylinder on demand' which I understood meant that the engine dropped to only two cylinders when not under heavy load. Is there any indication when this happens? Whilst looking at my vehicle spec on the My Audi app a couple of days ago it shows that I have a mild hybrid engine. Is there any way of visually confirming this and is it in conjunction with the CoD or a more recent upgrade. When I was ordering the car back in November no mention was made of its being mild hybrid. Otherwise delighted with the car. I downsized from a Q5 TDI but the interior seems just as spacious and economy as good as the diesel.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I purchased a new Q3 35 TFSI Sport in March. It was invoiced as 'cylinder on demand' which I understood meant that the engine dropped to only two cylinders when not under heavy load. Is there any indication when this happens? Whilst looking at my vehicle spec on the My Audi app a couple of days ago it shows that I have a mild hybrid engine. Is there any way of visually confirming this and is it in conjunction with the CoD or a more recent upgrade. When I was ordering the car back in November no mention was made of its being mild hybrid. Otherwise delighted with the car. I downsized from a Q5 TDI but the interior seems just as spacious and economy as good as the diesel.
Hi Chris - I too have a dilemna. Took delivery of a new Q3 35TFSI S Line S tronic this week. The dealer said it was mild hybrid and in the boot, I can't drop the boot floor as advertised as underneath is an array of technology including sub woofer etc. However, on the right hand side in the boot under the floor tray, close to the back seats is what appears to be a mild hybrid battery pack. I can't see on any media anywhere that the Q3 has a MHEV although the Q3 sportback clearly does. So have Audi upgraded the Q3 35 TFSI with MHEV for 2021 and I have a new model ? Audi website for Q3 doesnt seem to mention the car has mild hybrid technology. Anyone help to clarify?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Chris - I too have a dilemna. Took delivery of a new Q3 35TFSI S Line S tronic this week. The dealer said it was mild hybrid and in the boot, I can't drop the boot floor as advertised as underneath is an array of technology including sub woofer etc. However, on the right hand side in the boot under the floor tray, close to the back seats is what appears to be a mild hybrid battery pack. I can't see on any media anywhere that the Q3 has a MHEV although the Q3 sportback clearly does. So have Audi upgraded the Q3 35 TFSI with MHEV for 2021 and I have a new model ? Audi website for Q3 doesnt seem to mention the car has mild hybrid technology. Anyone help to clarify?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Having looked at a YouTube clip for Audi mild hybrid the 48 v lithium battery is under the front passenger seat. There is a black box in mine although I cannot see any cable to it. The lid to the box is screwed down and I do not want to investigate too much. Certainly my car goes into coasting mode on any long deceleration and the engine appears to switch off which is a feature of the mild hybrid.

·
Registered
7 Posts
So another issue.... picked up new Q3 35 TFSI with MHEV and after a few days driving the stop start has never kicked in or the mild hybrid cutting the engine when coasting. Maybe the batteries need to fully charge before this works but anyone with any views before I call the dealer?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There are loads of settings on the MMI so you need to make sure that all the rights options are ticked. Also the various drive options make a difference. I use Efficiency but find that it does not coast in Dynamic nor if S rather than D is selected. I have had the car for some months now but am still learning!

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have just got the Q3 Vorsprung MHEV, took me a while to work it out, its clever to fully understand, but basically it will drop engine to idle or off completely on the flat, it will not turn off on a steep gradient as the sensors know its not safe and you need engine braking. It took mine a week or two before the shut off when stopped works, I think the MHEV needed to charge up first. But it seems to only do it at certain times like at traffic lights, it does not seem to do it if you are stopping and starting in slow moving traffic, I guess the radar knows the situation. Good thing though is when it does stop, the restarting using the MHEV is much smoother than the old starter motor system and I am happy to just let it do its thing.

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
Having looked at a YouTube clip for Audi mild hybrid the 48 v lithium battery is under the front passenger seat. There is a black box in mine although I cannot see any cable to it. The lid to the box is screwed down and I do not want to investigate too much. Certainly my car goes into coasting mode on any long deceleration and the engine appears to switch off which is a feature of the mild hybrid.
Assuming you have the Comfort & Sound pack installed - I think the black box under the passenger seat is the B&O amplifier/sound processor. I have it too and there isn't anything even remotely fuel economy orientated in the RS...well it has 'Efficiency' in Drive Select just goes to prove someone in Audi has a sense of humour.;)

Reactions: Chin

·
Registered
20 Posts
Mine is in the boot, about 18" x12" right hand corner plus the power transfer box next to it. The B&O Amp is in the space where the spare whell would normally go

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
I think the B&O object where the spare wheel ought to be is the Subwoofer...- well it is in the RS anyway.

Reactions: Chin

·
Registered
7 Posts
Mine is in the boot, about 18" x12" right hand corner plus the power transfer box next to it. The B&O Amp is in the space where the spare whell would normally go
Yes Chin. My MHEV is in the RHS boot too so clearly Audi now installing MHEV in Q3 now for certain petrols - not just the sportback model now. My MHEV took a few days to start working. As you said, took time to fully charge up but now it works fine.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the feedback. I doubt anyone buys an RSQ3 for the economy which was why I went for the 35 TFSI. It helps with the guilt of owning my other rather less economical cars!

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
I think the B&O object where the spare wheel ought to be is the Subwoofer...- well it is in the RS anyway.
Have a look at this (interesting PDF) https://vwgpaintandbody.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/Audi-Q3.pdf - thanks to JK for discovering this useful resource

Page 94 shows the package under the left seat and Page 95 the subwoofer in the boot.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Weird question, anyone noticed a " thump" or a bounce from the MHEV area in the boot when going over speed bumps? I have an annoying thump in the back somewhere

1 - 14 of 14 Posts