Audi Q3 Owners Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi just wondering if anyone out there has made this change, and can help.
I brought a custom flat bottom steering wheel & custom airbag cover for my Audi q3 2015 s-line everything went perfect …. Until I reconnected the battery and the horn was stuck on constantly, the guy said it was a face lift steering wheel but should still fit. Is there a slight difference in airbag sizes between 2015-2018?? I managed to get the custom airbag on to my old steering wheel. I will post some pics of the wheels below

thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
2016 RSQ3 Exclusive Java green.
616 Posts
When you say custom airbag, do you mean the airbag has been recovered?
I'd be very careful if that is the case as they are designed to split away if the airbag goes off and any modification would need to mirror that or it will be dangerous.
As for the fitment, did you compare the 2 wheels without the airbag on when swapping over.
I've swapped my wheel many a time as I have an alcantara trimmed spare and you can get the airbag a little stuck down but usually it settles into the right place.
The wheel came of my old 2015 S3 but fits the RS and my previous 2015 SQ5 so quite a generic fitment

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When you say custom airbag, do you mean the airbag has been recovered?
I'd be very careful if that is the case as they are designed to split away if the airbag goes off and any modification would need to mirror that or it will be dangerous.
As for the fitment, did you compare the 2 wheels without the airbag on when swapping over.
I've swapped my wheel many a time as I have an alcantara trimmed spare and you can get the airbag a little stuck down but usually it settles into the right place.
The wheel came of my old 2015 S3 but fits the RS and my previous 2015 SQ5 so quite a generic fitment
Yes I mean recovered but have had it done at a professional place and paid good money. I did compare the 2 wheels and they look identical which is why I don’t get that the horn is stuck on even after trying to wiggle it around a bit.

·
Registered
616 Posts
I'd not be using that airbag then I'm afraid. I've had an airbag cover apart before and you can see on the reverse where it splits, covering it over would seriously affect that imo
On the horn issue, does the airbag sit and move in and out as it should when fitted or is it catching/tight on something?
I can attach a pic of my spare wheel if it helps?

·
Registered
616 Posts

·
Registered
616 Posts
Thank you for your help just have it another go and all good 😊 just had to push it in place little harder and it sat right in place just like you said
That's good, I'd still be wanting assurances though that it will work in the same way as oem should the worst happen.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts