Audi Q3 Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any one here in the forum who has tried the cruise control retrofit or included this as an option? Is cruise control worth it? I use the expressway once or twice a month, I am struggling with the thought of spending approximately £420 to have it retrofitted.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I haven't got cruise control on my Q3 but had it on a Merc I had previously. I only used it to try it - other than that it never got used - even on long trips. Another thing was it sent the fuel economy diving through the floor when active - not sure why but it was just another reason not to use it. I'd save myself the £420.00 if I were you - just my opinion

·
Registered
613 Posts
Cruise control is good for motorways etc - my FWD 140 seems to like to sit at an indicatedcruise of 63mph - if you're not in a rush to get somewhere, it's great for the long journeys!

While my Q3 was in for repair, I was given a Range Rover with Radar-controlled cruise, which controlled brakes and throttle tomaintain separation from the vehicle in front, but was a real pain when closing in on slower traffic (such as an HGV in Lane 1) because it would slow you down to match speed with it just when you moved out to overtake....

·
Super Moderator
6,027 Posts
I had cruise control on my last three rides but - living in the crowded South-East - never had the chance to use it. I could never keep it engaged long enough to be worthwhile, so I didn't bother with it this time round and frankly don't miss it.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I use my cruise control regularly to stop me speeding on 30mph and 40mph roads.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I had cruise control fitted by the dealer before taking delivery of my 140. I told them it was a deal breaker for me so they fitted it without charge.
I use it practically all the time. If you get into the habit of using it its easy and the increase in mpg is definitely worth having.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had Cruise Control fitted by the dealer pre collection and it works well with the manual gearbox.The decision to fit or not is downto personal preference, whilst perhaps factoring in traffic conditions and the type of driving undertaken. However, I wouldn't be without it (had it on previous four cars) and find it beneficial on A roads as well as motorways/dual carriageways.

·
Registered
32 Posts
it was top of my must haves list after all the car I had rented whilst on holiday in the States which had ithas not been a disappointed. Its even fun re-engaging it for the shear acceleration

</font>

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Folks, thanks so much for sharing your perspective. Let me give it more thought.

pekX2to

·
Registered
85 Posts
I had CC on my A4 and was considering not taking it on the Q3, but I'm glad I did. The police is literally everywher to earn money with speeders so I can control my speed. Inmost cities we can drive 50 km/ hour so I put in in 5th gear and put it on 54km/h (53 real speed, and 53 is corrected to50 by the police).We also have traject controls over longer distances, on the motorway, so ideal to use CC @ 128km/h. You don't really feel the car driving a couple of kms/h more, so you can limit the speed with CC.Samoanjoe also mentioned an eventual higher consumption. I had this on the A4, using 0,2l/100km more with CC. But with the Q3 I already tested a couple of times on long distaces and there is no differce for me with or without CC: same consumption. And for the price: it comes in some packages.. maybe worth to compare if it's not a retro fit.
Edited by: AfAX

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
You can get the comfort pack for £600. That comes with cruise, parking plus and the auto dimming rear mirror.

Basic stuff that should be standard imo, grumble grumble......... Gets off his soapbox

·
Super Moderator
6,027 Posts
reilsab said:
Basic stuff that should be standard imo, grumble grumble......... Gets off his soapbox
Agreed entirely, mate. My previous car (Jaguar X-Type SE) had an auto-dipping mirror, cruise control, headlamp washers all fitted as standard. Audi are really tight-arsed with their basic specs (no doubt to keep the entry-level prices down) and make a friggin' fortune on the options.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
The big 3 German manufacturers remind me of fast food outlets. Charge a basic price and then try it on with the options, no i don't want to go large, extra wings, extra onion rings, upgrade my drink etc etc. I just want my meal as good as it can be for a price i find acceptable

We're not talking luxurious options here, just things i would consider the basics in 2013.

Soapbox back out......

·
Registered
184 Posts
Gromit said:
reilsab said:
Audi are really tight-arsed with their basic specs (no doubt to keep the entry-level prices down) and make a friggin' fortune on the options.
You are quite right Gromit - when I was deciding between a new and second handQ3 I was complaining to the dealer about the lack of options on the basic models. I was told they don't spec them up because if they did, they would cost too much and yet still not meet what peoplespecifically wanted so they would be difficult to sell.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I finally decided and ordered a CC retrofit. Will arrive in 2 weeks

pekX2to

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Folks,

Had the cruise control retrofitted. Unfortunately the turn signal (indicator lever) switch does not include the active lane assist on/off button and thus I lost this option

pekX2toEdited by: pekX2to

·
Registered
518 Posts
Not too sure why they would have replaced the turn signal switch! The cruise control normallymakes use ofa separateadditionalstalk located below the indicator stalk.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hi rontheman,

The stalk comes as a set with 3 levers for cruise control, indicator, and wiper. The mechanic simply replaced the original stalk with the new stalk with the 3 levers. I am going back to the shop this Thursday and check if they can replace the indicator lever with the original one with active lane assist button.

pekX2to

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Good news the active lane assist has been re-installed by the mechanic!

pekX2to

·
Registered
1 Posts
pekX2to;
I'm in Japan too and am thinking about having the Cruise control retrofitted on my Q3. Do you mind me asking how much you paid to have this done? Any additional advice you might have before I approach my dealer in Tokyo?
Thanks,
Gtokyo

1 - 20 of 33 Posts