Audi Q3 Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2000 kl, diesel 2 litre . Has anyone noticed the cooling fan running after a trip and hot odour (like overheating smell) at the same time. Water temp ok only happened twice?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
130 Posts
Steve said:
2000 kl, diesel 2 litre . Has anyone noticed the cooling fan running after a trip and hot odour (like overheating smell) at the same time. Water temp ok only happened twice?
Yes this has happened to me. The first few times when it was new and only after a short Min or sojourney, it was quite alarming
as it smelt very very hot & the fan was on for a very long time & as always late at night so I was out with a torch looking around a few times. After the second time I contacted my dealer who did not sound alarmed & said it would be the DPF regenerating & just settling down. It has done it only once or twice over the last 6 months so hopefully all is well as no fault codes are active when scanned with VAG COM.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
113 Posts
Thats good to know as i have had the strange burning smell twice but ignored it, at least i know what it is now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
518 Posts
It is fairly common for the cooling fan to continue running after the engine has been switched off. I have had several Audi's and they all do this. Basically, this is part of the design to get rid of excess heat, especially if the air conditioner has been running.As far as the burning smell is concerned, it is simply venting gases built up within the engine compartment, nothing more than that, as well assome of the newness (ie coatings etc) burning off, unless of course the burning smell is accompanied by flames!!!!!!! Absent the flames, I wouldn't worry about it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the comments. I feel better now.
I will keep an eye on the temp gauge over the next six months.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
37 Posts
Hi All,This happened to me today for the first time.Just clocked up 650 miles.The strange thing is that I only ran the other half to the docs and back,about 2 miles.When I switched off the engine I heard the radiator fans running.Got out of car and felt very hot air blowing from under the wheel arch,accompanied with a smell of burning paint.Panic set in so jumped back in car and started engine again and fans stopped.Also noticed temperature gauge was at 90c which is normal.Switched off again,this time no fans.Question is,how did the engine get to that temp in only 2 miles.Got me thinking,is there some sort of aux. heater in the system which just happened to work today because the os temp. was only 4c.In the MMI under car settings - AC - It mentions Aux heater.Whats that, anyone more informed than me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
113 Posts
There is an aux heater in the air con system which is toally automatic, it heats up the inside of the car. Apart from that i don't know anything else about it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
518 Posts
The auxiliary heater switches on when the aircon is on and the outside temperature is below a certain threshold (I guess somewhere lower than 10 deg C). On older cars I thinked this operated a diesel heater but on the Q3 I think it is an electric one (ie basically an electric fan heater equivalent). I guess the engine electric fan switches on to dissipate some of this heat once it is no longer needed.If you don't want the auxiliary heater to switch on, simply switch off the aircon.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
137 Posts
I'm so glad you guys are there - I just had exctly that. So after starting up and closing down a few times, I have run in to search this forum. Phew, thank you sooo much!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Hi Steve

I have noticed the cooling fan on my 2.0 TDi running on for quite a long time (15min+) after the engine has been switched off - and this is even after a short trip.
I'm glad to say that it doesn't seem to have happened recently - but this may be due to the winter here (and cold temperatures) or maybe the fact that the car has now covered some 7k miles (about 10 000km).

I will keep you posted if things change in the Spring.

Kind regards
Greg
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
94 Posts
Hi has a technician out to fix another problem and mentioned this to him as mine did it a few weeks back. He confirmed this was normal. As other have said, venting gases and the like.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
1,707 Posts
To all that noticed this ^^^^ happening.

The Fan has to run after you have switched off the engine in most cases, because it is also necessary to cool down the Turbo of your engine to. If it did not do so, you would need many Turbo replacements in a few years. The time it runs, is dependable off your engine temp and or driving style.


Edited by: audidriver4ever
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
563 Posts
If possible it is always good practise to let turbo cars idle for a few minutes before switching off, this allows the turbo to cool down a bit and hopefully extend it's life.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
137 Posts
Ah, that's all useful to know, thank you. My last few cars have been TDVs, and I did notice one or two of them doing this, but restarting and turning off stopped them.
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top