Audi Q3 Owners Forum banner

21 - 40 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Many drivers have dash cams because of the moral corruption which occurs with our traffic police. I know too many people who have been stopped for a minor infringement which has turned into a major one. I had one about 6 months ago and I was going to have the book thrown at me until I pointed out my dash cams then all I got was a warning. You can come from honourable times but do the police?

·
Super Moderator
6,158 Posts
Apart from the crash-for-cash lowlifes, if you're simply involved in (for example) a multiple shunt where everyone's blaming everyone else, a video clip will prove instantly that you're telling the truth and the other guys are telling porkies. Invaluable for that reason alone.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Thanks chaps.
I’ll have a ponder.

·
Registered
2016 RSQ3 Exclusive Java green.
376 Posts
I have the Blackvue 900S 2 channel with the battery pack fitted in the boot.... definitely not a cheap option and I wouldnt have done it if it wasn't for the nagging voice in my head telling me to.
It's a sad world we live in when you have to think like that but when it's your pride and joy it's a bit easier to justify!

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Unfortunately Halon is illegal.

·
Registered
119 Posts
My 2 pence worth... Just get one fitted, no matter how cheap. I've got a next base for around 40quid, 720p resolution, fitted a 64GB class 10 sd card, jobs a goodun if your not hung up on it being "visible". It comes with a lead long enough to plug into the passenger 12v cig lighter. (I've no kids, so no problem haha)
This still frees up the 2 main 12v near the hill hold assist button for other devices. The next base can also be hard wired but I've never gone that far as yet.

Dash cam basically saved my NCB discount about 3 years ago. I was edging out from a junction into rush hour traffic, I was flashed by another driver to let me in when some pikey in a punto just shot infront of me and I basically touched him at about 2mph as I was crawling. He them preceeded to say I damaged all sorts on his car, I humoured him taking pics as evidence that zero damage was done to my car and his. He was in my face and everything when I politely pointed out my dashcam was filming our entire conversation. 😂 I took pics Literally no damage to mine. Submitted the footage and pics and cleared my name/blame as a result.

The damage I caused at 2mph apparently :ROFLMAO:
Screenshot_20210601-222620_Gallery.jpg

Reactions: RSQ3John and Gromit

·
Super Moderator
6,158 Posts
...and that concludes the statement in favour of the motion, your Honour. :cool:

Reactions: DavidS

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm in the market for a dash cam, I've looked at this several times but have an aversion to kit hanging off the windscreen, either in the way visually or standing out like a sore thumb for a thief to think bricking a window and nicking it is worth the risk. Some vendors, like Blackvue sell all the mounting hardware separately which almost makes it a viable risk for the scumbag.

So the idea solution would be a concealed, permanently installed dash cam and I think I've found it in the Netherlands - a company that sells generally available dash cam hardware has spotted a gap in the market for front cams that are mounted behind the rear-view mirror: Audi Quad HD Dual Dashcam Interior mirror You'll need to change the page language to English unless Dutch is your thing. The cams are car specific so ultra discreet.

The dual channel job is £417 delivered to the UK plus whatever HMRC and the courier think belongs to them and then I'd need someone to fit it. I've exchanged email with the company and now know the mobile app connects to the cam using secure Wifi. Great, except the App is called 'Timacam' and that's associated with a bit of hardware called Novatek inside the cam - its evident that a number of cam manufacturers are using this software and it maybe a bit fragile or contain 'unresolved opportunities' otherwise known as bugs according to the Google PlayStore reviews....more homework required.
Just stick a nextbase behind the mirror. You can hardly see mine. It has gps and emergency button. Motion sensors. Wiring is easily hidden in lining and door rubbers etc

·
Super Moderator
2,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
The Blackvue 2 channel 900x has arrived, I'm agreeably surprise as to how small the units are - a £2 coin in the image below for scale. There is a rather cynical label on the outside of the box to say the Warranty might be invalidated if non Blackvue MicroSD cards are used (made me smile) with a 32GB item supplied, I'm going to stick a decent 256GB one in for no other reason than because I can...

Installation - Tuesday 8th.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Before you upgrade the Micro-SD card capacity you need to check if the Blackvue will accept the increased card size. The Audi UTR comes with a 8GByte card, it won't wrap round with a 256GByte card and when it tries it hangs but it will work perfectly with a 32GByte card.

Reactions: RSQ3John

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
I had a similar situation loading info onto an SD card and found it won’t transfer onto a card with a greater capacity than the system producing it.
Don’t ask me what it was but it got me a bit miffed as I had to go and buy a new one rather than use the one I already had.

·
Super Moderator
2,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Reactions: DavidS

·
Registered
119 Posts
4KUHD nice... You'll be able to "see" the zits on the chavs racing you now John with that. ;)
720p resolution was also clear enough footage to back my insurance claim a while back if others are reading this (y)

Reactions: RSQ3John

·
Super Moderator
2,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Thanks, there's no legit reason for 4K other that 'because I can', 720p would be perfectly adequate for the purpose intended.

·
Registered
2016 RSQ3 Exclusive Java green.
376 Posts
No I think 4k is definitely worth having, it allows for more definition to zoom in on number plates etc.
The downsides are the size of sd card you need to support enough saved footage and the battery life is reduced.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
The Audi UTR is 4k. The resolution is fantastic and at night everything is clear. I don't know what lower resolutions are like but since it it is a high probability that something will occur when dark then clarity when dark is very important.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I was a bit ‘oh no big lump on windscreen’ dont like that idea at all but having got a blackvue and mounted behind mirror I can honestly say its not that bad. Had it in a week and haven’t noticed it. My interior is black too though so maybe that helps especially roof cloth being black? Good investment I think. Easy to fit too

·
Super Moderator
2,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
I was a bit ‘oh no big lump on windscreen’ dont like that idea at all but having got a blackvue and mounted behind mirror I can honestly say its not that bad. Had it in a week and haven’t noticed it. My interior is black too though so maybe that helps especially roof cloth being black? Good investment I think. Easy to fit too
That's exactly where I was over the 'big lump on the windscreen'....thanks for the comfort - I have a black roof liner too.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
I can still see them but compared to my Audi UTR it is superb.

21 - 40 of 68 Posts