Audi Q3 Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the market for a dash cam, I've looked at this several times but have an aversion to kit hanging off the windscreen, either in the way visually or standing out like a sore thumb for a thief to think bricking a window and nicking it is worth the risk. Some vendors, like Blackvue sell all the mounting hardware separately which almost makes it a viable risk for the scumbag.

So the idea solution would be a concealed, permanently installed dash cam and I think I've found it in the Netherlands - a company that sells generally available dash cam hardware has spotted a gap in the market for front cams that are mounted behind the rear-view mirror: Audi Quad HD Dual Dashcam Interior mirror You'll need to change the page language to English unless Dutch is your thing. The cams are car specific so ultra discreet.

The dual channel job is £417 delivered to the UK plus whatever HMRC and the courier think belongs to them and then I'd need someone to fit it. I've exchanged email with the company and now know the mobile app connects to the cam using secure Wifi. Great, except the App is called 'Timacam' and that's associated with a bit of hardware called Novatek inside the cam - its evident that a number of cam manufacturers are using this software and it maybe a bit fragile or contain 'unresolved opportunities' otherwise known as bugs according to the Google PlayStore reviews....more homework required.

·
Super Moderator
6,158 Posts
The hardware looks great, very discreet. The software, however, reviews very badly just about everywhere. The iOS variant being subject to more problems and complaints than the Android version (mind you, that's not unusual). Apparently it doesn't like iOS13 and the latest version is now riddled with ads, making it almost unusable. It might be an idea to look for another app that functions with that Novatek chipset before buying the kit.

One of the many reasons I went for the Blackvue DR750S is that properly installed it is extremely discreet and, whilst visible if you look for it, it's unnoticeable at all other times. It's a high quality unit, the software is reliable, bug-free and regularly updated even at four years old. The wifi connection to my Android phone has never glitched and is fast and flexible.

Have a closer look at Blackvue before you go for the Dutch one. As we discovered when the UTR came out, good hardware is rendered completely useless by crap, buggy software.

Reactions: RSQ3John

·
Registered
2016 RSQ3 Exclusive Java green.
376 Posts
I have the blackvue John and while it is visible, like Gromit says it's not exactly in your face behind the mirror.
The thinkware units also get good reviews but I've never tried one.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I also have a BlackVue and can’t fault it really. I’ve had it 4 years or so and it has been hardwired into 3 cars now. I suppose that’s the benefit of them making accessories available - I have removed the camera and the bracket when changing vehicle but left the cable installed to eliminate removal cost and purchased a new cable. The BlackVue doesn’t have a screen and so is fairly discreet, which was what I was looking for when I originally purchased it.

·
Super Moderator
6,158 Posts
I have the blackvue John and while it is visible, like Gromit says it's not exactly in your face behind the mirror.
The thinkware units also get good reviews but I've never tried one.
For me it was a toss-up 'twixt Blackvue and Thinkware, both high quality and very discreet. At the time Blackvue swung it due to their accessories and software, plus having a higher spec for the price.

·
Super Moderator
2,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK chaps, thanks- I've taken the collective guidance and ordered Blackvue- installed. I note that the Blackvue App gets slated too - the Android Playstore rating is 2.8, it can't be that bad if you guys rate it... :)

·
Registered
2016 RSQ3 Exclusive Java green.
376 Posts
I don't think the app is the most intuitive but you buy a dashcam for its ability to record in all conditions. It's something that sits there getting on with its job until you unfortunately need it.
If you upgrade the SD card to a higher capacity don't forget it needs to be a high endurance one (y)

·
Super Moderator
6,158 Posts
Wise move John. Personally I've had zero problems with the app. Ju's right in that it's not 5-year-old compatible but I don't think you'll have any problems using it, just spend a little time getting to know it and it'll be fine.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
One thing puzzles me. How can you have a concealed dashcam when the dashcam has to see out. I have the Audi UTR and the rear unit is difficult to see because of the tinted window. The front unit is visible but the way it has been installed makes it look like part of the standard Q3.

·
Super Moderator
2,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The concealed feature was a new, slightly larger plastic housing on the windscreen mirror mount.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Also just ordered a Blackvue 750x for the new car when it arrives as Halfords have 20% off at the moment. Nextbase seem to get good reviews but won't look as neat and didn't want the internal screen.

·
Super Moderator
6,158 Posts
Nextbase do indeed get good reviews when new but when I looked into dashcams - admittedly about four ears ago now - I found that after several months' use the story changed markedly. Apparently the rechargeable batteries they used couldn't stand up to the sun's heat pouring through the windscreen and turned their toes up. Blackvue thankfully use a different system entirely which is unaffected by summer heat.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Right you lot.....tell me the why’s and how’s of having a dashcam.
I might need convincing but it looks like there might be an insurance discount as well.
Are they a pain to get fitted properly, not just nailed to the car.

·
Super Moderator
6,158 Posts
OK, dashcams 101...

The biggest benefit by far is being able to produce hard evidence in the event of an accident that your narrative is correct. It resolves disputed claims instantly and insurance companies love it, as do plods - the ability to email a video clip of an incident really is invaluable. If you go for both front and rear cams plus whatever accessories needed to allow the cameras to be triggered whilst the car is unattended (Blackvue are particularly good in this respect) you have the means to identify people or vehicles that do your pride and joy harm whilst parked. When properly fitted they are very much a "fit and forget" item so you don't have to constantly fuss with them - an occasional software update is all that's needed (easily and quickly accomplished via a smartphone).

Other minor benefits are the ability to prove you were elsewhere if your reg is cloned and you're pulled as a result. Being able to submit footage to the plod of other drivers' misbehaviour is also nice, too.

Reactions: DavidS

·
Super Moderator
2,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
Super Moderator
6,158 Posts
They're the people that supplied and fitted mine. Excellent company. (y)

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
10% off the premium.
I’ll read a bit more of their website.
👍

·
Super Moderator
2,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Baros Technology......Maidstone based...I bought the 2 channel 900x, £551.70 fitted.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
To be honest, I’m struggling with it. There is something in me that doesn’t like going down this route, especially for £550 but I can equally see the reasoning.
I come from more honourable times....but so do you guys.

·
Super Moderator
2,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I struggled with it David - I've never had one however the crash for cash scams seem to be leaking out of the major cities, the current RS is in the 'keeper category', I'm nearing retirement and the car has the 5 year warranty option so I'll likely keep it longer term.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts