Audi Q3 Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the last few weeks, I have started to notice a short period of clutch judder when pulling away from standstill (1st Gear only).

It only seems to occur from cold start - once warmed up it's fine.

Just done 28k miles, mainly motorway and cross-country drives (rarely driven in town), so I wouldn't have thought the clutch should have been suffering that much wear afterone year?

Hoping this doesn't become the next "Front-end Vibration" issue!!

·
Super Moderator
6,158 Posts
Clutch judder is normally caused by oil or grease contamination of the clutch centreplate (crankshaft oil seal leakage used to cause this back in the day), or distortion of same. Either way it's covered by warranty, so I suggest you get it checked out before it gets worse - if left it could cause significant damage to gearbox mounts, driveshafts, clutch cover etc.

Edited by: Gromit

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Might have to do that!

The first couple of times it happened, I thought I just hadn't given it enough welly, but now that I've noticed it, it's become more apparent -just creeping off the drive in the morning with no throttle input can easily bring it on now.

I thought it might be worth bringing to everyone's attention - just in case I wasn't alone...!

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
I had this on my 2 previous bmw's, both diesels and i was told it's a characteristic of the car. Forums are full of clutch judder issues for bm's, i pressed them and they found a fault with the dual mass flywheel. It was swapped out along with a new clutch and this cured it for a while but it gradually came back. Now i'm no car expert but these dual mass flywheels seem to cause loads of issues on newer cars, i hope Audi doesn't suffer because it used to drive me mad.
Like anything, once you notice it you can't stop it getting to you. All under warranty however so i would ask them to have a look at it and not get told it's your driving
or a characteristic!

·
Registered
37 Posts
hi befofe had my Q3 had a A4 which had clutch judder this resulted in a new clutch under warrenty six months later it started again and a friend also with A6 had new clutch under warrenty he now tells me its happening again

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's a new "feature" - It certainly hasn't been there before, the clutch is still as light and smooth as always, but just is like this from cold...

It's just a bit of an annoyance - but you're right, it's worth getting Audito look at it early... It's probably the highest mileage Q3 they've seen (as well as not being Black, White or Silver
)

Edited to add - now booked in for 6th August for Audi to take a look at it...Edited by: Jules

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dropped the car in atLeicester Audi dealership, where they have promised to get me the elusive Caribou Brown paint stick (first ordered about 4 months ago).

Really professional team, and gave me a nice new 3.0 Diesel A4 All-road Avant to tide me over...

Interesting point... This has the most IRRITATING stop-start system! It's an automatic, so every time you come to a stop... like at a Motorway slip-road exit, the engine stops - which, in my opinion, is really unsafe... You see a gap, take your foot off the brake... and then have to wait for the engine to start!

Is the Q3 auto the same sort of system? If so, then I can see why people want to turn it off - in my manual, you'd just leave the clutch down, and leave the engine running in that situation...

·
Registered
85 Posts
You have the tiptronic?I don't and in my Q3 when the clutch is down it just continues runing. I always have the clutch down and the other foor on the brake when I stop at a traffic light. When I want the motor stop runing, I have toleave the foor fromthe clutch intentionally. Sothis start/stop systemdoesn't really bother me at all.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have the Manual Afax - and that's exactly what I do - but in the Courtesy Car (which is an A4 Avantfull-Auto) it cuts out whenever you brake to a stop - and that's really annoying.

I was wondering if the Q3 Stop-start on the Tiptronic is exactly the same as this Auto?

·
Registered
184 Posts
Jules said:
I was wondering if the Q3 Stop-start on the Tiptronic is exactly the same as this Auto?

Jules, it is absolutely the same on the Q3 S-Tronic, as long as the engine is warm it cuts out as soon as you stop and have your foot on the brake. In can be temporarily disabledusing abutton on the dash though when/if it starts to cause offence.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Joe - I can see why some people on this forum find it annoying now! - At least on the manual you can just leave the clutch down and keep the engine running for a short stop/pause...

·
Super Moderator
6,158 Posts
I find it bloody annoying, too. If you stop for a short enough time to keep your foot on the brake (traffic lights etc.), the engine stops. If you're going to be stationary for a longer period (level crossings, f''rinstance) and you put it into neutral to ease the ache in your brake leg, the bloody thing starts up again.

Frankly, I don't thing there's that much vorsprung in that bit of technik.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I found this really awkward and annoying at first, but after a year+ experience have just about mastered it. Generally speaking my system is:<ul>[*]Stop-start traffic eg. motorway jams or sometimes busy city driving- switch it off !![*]Traffic lights or similar - short stay, use 'light brake' or handbrake (not activated) - long stay, keep foot on brake or stick it into P with stop/start activated[*]Roundabouts/junctions involve use of 'light brake' almost all the time[/list]The light touch on the brake takes a bit of practice - you really only need to stop the car from crawling. Even now, I sometimes get it wrong, it can be very frustrating

·
Registered
184 Posts
Taff, I too use that 'light brake'technique, like you say it does work but not all the time. I know batteries and engines are a lot more efficient than they used to be, but I do wonder how all these stop/starts will affect the battery in the longer term. Guess I'll just have to wait to find out

·
Super Moderator
6,158 Posts
I read somewhere that Audi fit a special type of battery to all cars that have autostop/start so you should have no particular problem there, but I also discovered that there's a break-even point of about 35 seconds below which no fuel-saving is made i.e. if the engine is stopped for less than 35 sec. at a time it ain't worth it.

Now, 35 seconds doesn't sound like a long time, but try timing your engine stops - you'll be surprised how many of them are actually costing you a tiny bit instead of saving you a tiny bit. For any significant saving to be made the vast majority of stops need to be considerably more than 35 sec. duration - a minute or more, basically. For that reason, unless I'm daft enough to try driving into London (or indeed any other teeming metrolops) I turn it off as a matter of course as soon as I start the engine.

·
Registered
485 Posts
I also use the light brake touch when stopping, and then apply firm pressure having assessed if I intend to invoke the stop start system.

On starting again, I see that the average fuel consumption displayed prior to activation has only moved about 0.2mpg and this is on a journey of about 10 miles. Not using the stop start sees a drop of 0.2 within about 10-15 seconds.

We could do with a system that I have seen in some countries where they do a countdown at traffic lights in seconds, so we know whether we should activate the stop/start system or not.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
In my normal drive to work I reckon the stop-start only cuts in once - at a set of traffic lights about 2 miles from my house (weather permitting, of course!) - so I don't think I get great benefit from it...
Meanwhile, Audi couldn't replicate my clutch judder, so I've been asked to keep a log of the times it happens, together with temperature and weather, to see if there's a common theme.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Jules said:
In my normal drive to work I reckon the stop-start only cuts in once - at a set of traffic lights about 2 miles from my house (weather permitting, of course!) - so I don't think I get great benefit from it...
Meanwhile, Audi couldn't replicate my clutch judder, so I've been asked to keep a log of the times it happens, together with temperature and weather, to see if there's a common theme.
Sorry to hear that they were unable to replicate the fault. Here's hoping that with trial and error in noting when it happens will assist them in a diagnosis.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The clutch judder is getting worse now the warmer weather is passing by - first thing in the morning 8am or so - guess it'll be time for another trip to Audi!

·
Registered
72 Posts
OK been back to the dealerfor the second time today Clutch judder is a "characteristic" of the vehicle !!Anyone out there with a diesel manual could try this for me ???3rd gear 1500rpm then lightly depress the clutch pedal so you can just feel slight resistance without taking the drive awayNeutral throttle slight vibration feel. with left foot trapping up and down slightlyOff throttle vibration goes lessAcceleration, vibration amplifies and left foot really popping up and down like mad and vibration canbe felt through the floor.Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts